How far does Jerry Jones need to go to clean up the Cowboys?

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
This team more than any other team in the NFL needs an enema.

Short of firing himself, how far does he need to go? The Boys are a trainwreck. Pre-season there was a large contingent of smarty-pants (like me) that thought this was the year the Cowboys went all the way. Now that we've re-defined "epic fail" to include the Cowboy's star there needs to be a reckoning.

I can't list them all but off the top of my head you have TO doing his usual B.S in criticizing everyone not named T.O for the fall of the Cowboys. You also have Romo and Witten having secret meetings and the whining that ensued from the other WR's. Now you have other Cowboys going public on other teammates calling them cowards. There maybe more.

So does this all start and end with Wade? Is it as simple as firing Phillips? Does TO need to move on to ruin yet another team? Does Jerry Jones need to realize this isn't the 90's and he needs to hand over more authority to a true GM and head coach?

I will now quietly take my bannation from Mike.

Mike

Administrator
I don't think it is nearly as bad as it is made out to be.

That said....

• I think it is time for Terrell Owens to go. I really have no problem with him, but there is too much focus in trying to make him the focal part of the offense, at the expense of a running game. There haven't been any T.O. meltdowns in Dallas, but I think that is because the offense is kissing his ass to keep him involved.
  • Ship Flozell Adams out on the next bus. Or should I say bust. There was a time when Dallas realized it was time to let Big E go (Erik Williams), and that time was when he started falling backwards before the snap constantly. Adams is at this point because he has lost a step. Time to replace him and upgrade the offensive line overall with some smaller and faster o-linemen. This offense doesn't need the big fatties, they need more athletic players in this area.
  • 100% open running back competition. And when you find your true #1, utilize it, and the rest of the running backs. This offense has too much of a tendency to get away from the running game, or use it at the wrong times.
  • Tighten up the team. Time to run a tighter training camp, make players show up on time for meetings, and take a no tolerance approach to the lacking this team has toward "attention to detail".
I think most, if not all of this, happens this year. Wade Philips is taking a more strict approach to not only holding players accountable, but more control of the coaching staff. Something a true head coach should do.

Hopefully, eyes have been opened up to the limited ability of Marion Barber.

Hopefully, this offensive line will be upgraded during free agency and the draft.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
It still amazes me how you dislike MBIII. The guy by your own observation was used at the wrong time. I contend he's the answer. Felix the Cat could put up sweet numbers in tandem if he could stay healthy. MBIII is the total package: 884 yards rushing and 7 tds, and 417 yards through the air and 2 more tds. That's 1302 combined yards and 9 scores. What's not to like about that? And before you say injury he only missed 2 games this year.

Good point on the O-line and tightening up the team. Wade has never been known as a taskmaster. It would appear the Boys need a Coughlin-like hard ass.

Mike

Administrator
Barber only missed two games, and was only effective in maybe 1/3 of the games this year. Almost game in and game out, he was putting up 3.X yards per carry, and unlike last season, he was not the running back that knocked people down. He became the wore down running back that was getting knocked backwards on his rear for more than half the season.

That toughness was no longer there once he became a starter. It was there for a couple games, then he quickly faded.

He may have only missed two games, but was he really there the last month of the season?

You guys can call it dislike, I call it reality. HE IS WHO I THOUGHT HE WAS :)

My Beloved Cowboys

At least ONE of you here knows that I have been a Cowboys fan since the 60's. Yep, I'm that old! There is something intrinsically wrong about a team with that much talent going belly up. I venture that it's a lack of discipline, beginning with the owner and going to the groundskeeper. A new facility will do nothing to improve their play, and before you start about "these are professional athletes," may I point to a rather abrupt change in the '49ers due to a coaching change and his expectation that a professional athlete act like a professional? Much of what The Ram has said about TO and the secret meetings is true, though TO has, and in my unwashed opinion, always will be a train wreck waiting to happen. Pacman? Please. Both of these athletes have remarkable talent, but they need to get their heads on straight. I've coached freshman football players who tried harder and behaved better. Sorry, I ramble. Mr. Jones needs to hire some football people (I hear an ex Steelers coach and ex Seahawks coach might be available as front office people), then look at the roster, coaching staff, etc., and evaluate it on a win, but win as a team concept.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
this ship is not that far gone. Fire Philips, clean up the locker room a little and get a real general for a coach and this team will be right back in it.

SC#20

Dominator!
The Cowboys problem is Wade and Garrett. From someone in Dallas, I do NOT think TO is that big of a problem.

I think Garretts offensive offense is the problem. His playcalling this year was not good. He abandoned the run. Barber didnt have a great season, but he was better than some of you guys are giving him credit, when healthy a top 5 back in the league. Did any of you see the second Washington game? He killed the Skins in the 4th quarter.

Garrett did not get any more creative this year with his offense, it was stale and almost the same offense as last year. You have to get better as a play caller, and he didnt. Dallas was an EASY team to plan, bump TO off the line, and make Witten beat you, and guess what, Witten CANT beat you by himself, he is a great compliment.

When Dallas won, generally TO had big games, when they lost, TO didnt get the ball enough to make plays, or you couldnt get him the ball.

Anyway, they need a offensive minded coach for Romo, Wade is at best a good defensive coordinator for the 3-4 defense, not a head coach. But daddy Jerry likes a coach he can tell what to do, so Wade will be the man.

Suppose they do right the ship. Assume they get back to contender status. Will Tony Romo ever be able to deliver come crunch time?

Mike

Administrator
He will be able to if he isn't running for his life like he had to for the last month of the season.

As for the talent level on the team, and Jerry needing "football people", I just don't see it. If the past couple drafts have been as good as people grade them out to be, then I think Jerry Jones is doing his job. If the talent level is what people say it is, then Jerry is pretty much doing his job.

The only place he wouldn't be doing his job, if the above is true, is his handling of the coaching staff.

SC#20

Dominator!
Who drafted the team when Bill Parcells was here? I will say Big Bill had the most say so. Who drafted the best linebacker in the league, Demarcus Ware? Big Bill. Who converted Greg Ellis to OLB? Big Bill.

The team is where it is RIGHT NOW because of Bill Parcells. Did they do the right thing last year with the pick from the Browns taking Felix Jones? I think not, I think that pick was because he couldnt have McFadden he had to have the next best Arkansas running back. There secondary sure was pretty weak, and Felix looked good playing thru week 6 or however long he lasted, not that you could of guessed that, but why take Tashard Choice and Felix Jones? Was Roy Williams worth the two draft picks? Probably not, but THAT is Jerry Jones.

Bill put the team where it is right now, Jerry Jones takes the credit.

Mike

Administrator
If I remember correctly, going back to the time of the draft, and the discussions that took place, it was Jerry who was high on Ware and insisted on that pick. As for converting Ellis, that is what a coach has to do when he comes in and changes the defensive setup. It was Jerry though that refused to let Ellis go.

It was Parcells who had man love for Bobby Carpenter, same with Fasano (who is a good player, but had no place on this team). It was also Parcells who ran recycled old players (particularly at QB) on to a 10 win team, resulting in a 5 win season. It was Parcells who wanted no part of Romo being on this team, and Jerry that signed him as a project for the guy who did want thim, Sean Payton.

This secondary was left in horrible shape when Parcells left. It is better now than it was when he left

Parcells did alot of good things for this team, and he also did his share of bad.

5 years from now, I want to be hearing how bad of a pick that Felix Jones was.

SC#20

Dominator!
Never said Felix was a BAD pick, but if you plan on taking another running back like Choice, why not try to help the TERRIBLE secondary with a corner back early(not sure if there was one).

Bill Parcells said all along while he was here that Tony Romo was a special QB but wasnt ready to play. I hated Bill bringing in Vinny and Drew, but at that time what other options was there, Quincy Carter, or maybe Romo? You cant tell me you think the Cowboys really were a 10 win team, or a 6 win team that OVERACHIEVED with Quincy?

Either way, I think Dallas definitely does need some secondary help this year, and maybe one more wide receiver, and a backup QB? lol

Mike

Administrator
Jenkins was taken in the first round by Dallas, looking like he is going to be a very good corner for the Cowboys. Felix Jones was taken 22nd overall, Mike Jenkins taken 3 picks later at 25.

Tashard Choice was clearly a value pick in the 4th round, much like Barber was a couple years ago (also in the 4th)

Cowboys also addressed the secondary in the 5th round with Scandrick, who has also turned out to be a near excellent pick for Dallas.

Mike

Administrator
You cant tell me you think the Cowboys really were a 10 win team, or a 6 win team that OVERACHIEVED with Quincy?

To quote Bill Parcells, "you are what your record says you are"

Quincy Carter was a horrible signing by Jerry, that is for sure, given that he could have waited a round and still got him. :)

Mike

Administrator
TOP ROOKIE

Nick:
There are a lot of good choices here (no pun intended), but at the end of the day, or the season for that matter, I'm going with Felix Jones. No he didn't play as much as the other guys, but when you look toward next season, the prospect of Felix coming back and giving the team big-play potential, stands out more than any other rookie.

Mickey: Well for my money, it was Felix Jones early, Tashard Choice late but the top rookie all season long was fifth-round pick Orlando Scandrick, coming in to man the slot on the nickel defense right from the start. Without his play, the Cowboys would have been in serious trouble the first half of the season with Terence Newman first playing hurt and then not playing at all following his sports hernia surgery for five games. That would have been Newman's spot if not for Scandrick's high level of play.

Rob: Tashard Choice made a strong case late in the year, but fifth-round pick Orlando Scandrick basically played a starter's role as the slot cornerback. Great season from Scandrick, and a great find by the Cowboys' scouting department.

Josh: No one expected much out of Orlando Scandrick, but he was as solid a player as the Cowboys had on either side of the ball. Quite simply, the fifth-round pick hardly ever did anything wrong, and seems to be wise beyond his years in terms of what professional football is all about.

Recent comments by Dallas Cowboys beat writers