Helmet to helmet hits....by the Steelers....when is enough, enough??

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Didn't watch this, but going by the National radio broadcast (westwood one), the said that hit that hurt Willis looked unintentional, that they both unfortunately moved the same direction when trying to avoid the dangerous contact.

Without seeing the game for myself yet (hope it is replayed), I have no dog in this fight.

I will say though, that I have a hard time sympathizing with any Ravens players on this. When you put bounties on players, you can expect that the opposing team is going to hit you just a little harder when they meet up.

This is a league wide problem though, and as Jscott said, Brian Dawkins is the worst of them all. I would have suspended that jerkoff on many occasions throughout his career.
Go to the youtube video in this thread, has both hits in question.

Remote Controller

Didn't watch this, but going by the National radio broadcast (westwood one), the said that hit that hurt Willis looked unintentional, that they both unfortunately moved the same direction when trying to avoid the dangerous contact.

Without seeing the game for myself yet (hope it is replayed), I have no dog in this fight.

I will say though, that I have a hard time sympathizing with any Ravens players on this. When you put bounties on players, you can expect that the opposing team is going to hit you just a little harder when they meet up.

This is a league wide problem though, and as Jscott said, Brian Dawkins is the worst of them all. I would have suspended that jerkoff on many occasions throughout his career.
Roy Williams needs a mention too.

Mike

Administrator
Go to the youtube video in this thread, has both hits in question.

Watched it now.

Sweed is clearly learning to play wide receiver at the NFL level from Hines Ward :), don't think it was anything out of the ordinary though

The hit by Clark, he was clearly trying to lead with his shoulder, they both simply moved in the same direction, which was unfortunate.

Like I said in this thread, and have preached many times on this forum (only to be dogged for it). These types of hits need to be removed from the league, and tackling needs to be brought back in as a fundamental that has been all but lost.

I will repeat what Iron Mike Ditka said about this. Take the damn facemasks off. You will quit seeing these ESPN highlight whores on the field immediately. Helmets and shoulder pads are meant to protect a player, they shouldn't be used as a weapon.

Mike

Administrator
We could, but then that would take away from the black cloud I'm tryign to toss over the Steelers....

:p

LOL, I knew exactly what your Bengal lovin, Steeler hating ass was trying to do when I first seen this thread.

:ribbon:

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
LOL, I knew exactly what your Bengal lovin, Steeler hating ass was trying to do when I first seen this thread.

:ribbon:
lol, actually it had nothing to do with that, but I couldn't pass it up.

Your dead on, as I stated earlier in this thread. This is a league wide issue and something that the media and the league promote IMO.....just seems like the Steelers are becoming the poster boys for hits like this and I'd love to see the league send a message....they won't, but one day when one of these end in tragedy they will wish they did.....

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
Take the damn facemasks off. You will quit seeing these ESPN highlight whores on the field immediately. Helmets and shoulder pads are meant to protect a player, they shouldn't be used as a weapon.

but then what will your boy marion grab onto every time he has a carry???

Mike

Administrator
Big hits make more people watch the games, so the league ignores the danger.

Much like Steroids/HGH made 35 year old baseball players who were on the downside of their careers become superhuman 70 homerun hitting machines. It made people watch, therefore it got ignored.

The NFL preaches integrity and tried to make examples of players, but it is all fake. They will ignore the things that put butts in seats, while acting like they give a damn.

Beermutts

Raven Maniac
What about the fact that the Steelers stadium personnel decided to play music while a guy is seriously injured on the field. I know they don't do that at here. I thought that was classless. And it is being reported that while Willis was being carted off the field some Steeler fans were yelling, Fuck You Willis......

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
What about the fact that the Steelers stadium personnel decided to play music while a guy is seriously injured on the field. I know they don't do that at here. I thought that was classless. And it is being reported that while Willis was being carted off the field some Steeler fans were yelling, Fuck You Willis......

When I heard it, I thought it was "get well, willis". It seemed to fit as there were plenty of people standing and clapping for him. I can be 100% due to the lack of clarity, though.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
did you really expect anything less from Pittsburgh? Very classless.

Arctic Dawgs

The NFL has a rule in place to stop it. They are just choosing not to enforce it. If it was an automatic ejection and fine for striking an opposing player in the head with the top of your helmet (as defined by any portion within the circle above the top of the facemask) they will still be able to appeal the fine later if they choose to claim it was accidental. The instant ejection part of it would probably eliminate 95% of it though

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
did you really expect anything less from Pittsburgh? Very classless.

Ow bite me, Eugene. :fuckoff:

And yes I agree that playing music was out of place given the injury. I thought the same thing at the time.

Bubba

As he started into tunnel, I heard a fan yell "Good luck Willis".