Goodell to Smack Jerry Where it Hurts?

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
The New York Times reports commissioner Roger Goodell is planning to fine Cowboys owner Jerry Jones "millions of dollars" for conduct detrimental to the league.

That conduct was Jones' "efforts to derail negotiations to renew Goodell’s contract," as well as his "outspoken defense" of Ezekiel Elliott. Per reporter Ken Belson, Goodell has been "reluctant to be seen as exacting retribution for the way Jones tried to sabotage his contract talks," but was "urged to bring the penalties by several owners who believed that Jones had crossed an unspoken boundary by threatening his colleagues." Jones has indeed spent most of the past year publicly bellowing about the league's boss. Expect a torrent of lawsuits and recriminations to follow.

Source: The New York Times

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Oh wow...and I thought the Qb FA market was going to drive this off-season news cycle....yikes

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Updating a previous item, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is not planning to fine Cowboys owner Jerry Jones.

The New York Times reported Goodell planned to fine Jones "millions of dollars" for conduct detrimental to the league. Instead, Goodell is asking for a "reimbursement of costs incurred by member clubs" of "more than $2 million," and that the "resolution has been on the books for more than 20 years." The rest of the NFL owners also believed this would be Goodell's best approach to deal with Jones. It's a convoluted situation that will hopefully soon have more clarity.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

hikeNbike

Just as Jerry protesting before was a bad look, as he had supported Goodell up till Elliot was suspended, this is a bad look for Goodell. Fining someone millions for not supporting you after you get reelected so to speak, seems rather dictatorial, and vindictive. Not supporting Jerry but lets not pretend that Goodell has done a good job either. Think both sides should let it go at this point.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
The story changed and the $$ is not a fine but rather
Goodell is asking for a "reimbursement of costs incurred by member clubs" of "more than $2 million," and that the "resolution has been on the books for more than 20 years.
Additionally the other owners are demanding Jerry pay back the $$ he caused them to spend.

efactor

Coming at you
Just as Jerry protesting before was a bad look, as he had supported Goodell up till Elliot was suspended, this is a bad look for Goodell. Fining someone millions for not supporting you after you get reelected so to speak, seems rather dictatorial, and vindictive. Not supporting Jerry but lets not pretend that Goodell has done a good job either. Think both sides should let it go at this point.

Goodell has done a great job, which is why the owners are willing to pay that type of money to keep him in place.

Anyone blaming him for issues within the NFL are missing the point. He works for the owners and they are obviously happy with his performance, well until it impacts their team, such as deflategate and the Zeke suspension. Both Kraft and Jones were big supporters until he suspended their guys. One of the things I like about him is he isn't afraid to call out the most powerful owners when he thinks it's for the benefit of the league overall.

Plus the guy is a crack up at the NFL draft. He gets booed like crazy (for some reason beyond me), laughs it off and gives them the "bring it on" gesture. Hilarious to see idiots who are actually wearing team jerseys to the draft boo the 40 million dollar a year man and think it will actually impact him.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Updated news -
Jerry Jones will testify Monday to Goodell himself on the legal fees the league are trying to force him to repay....

Key things this verifies:
1) the league did invoke its conduct unbecoming clause
2) Jones has officially appealed
3) Goodell did not agree to an arbitrator and will arbitrate this himself.

This could get really interesting....

hikeNbike

I still say this is bull. How can Goodell arbitrate this and maintain any semblance of impartiality.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I still say this is bull. How can Goodell arbitrate this and maintain any semblance of impartiality.

Impartiality is NOT required, this has all been agreed to in the CBA. It effects owners as much as Players and player assoc.

hikeNbike

May not be required but would be common decency. Feels kind of like you have a dispute with your neighbor and the judge appoints the neighbor as the arbitrator.

Phicinfan

Administrator
May not be required but would be common decency. Feels kind of like you have a dispute with your neighbor and the judge appoints the neighbor as the arbitrator.

Well they should have thought of that during the CBA discussions huh?

hikeNbike

Well they should have thought of that during the CBA discussions huh?
Yes they should have. But a less vile and vindictive commish might recuse himself from the decision nonetheless and assign an impartial arbitrator.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Yes they should have. But a less vile and vindictive commish might recuse himself from the decision nonetheless and assign an impartial arbitrator.

In this case, by all I have read, they have the right, it is in the CBA they can get reimbursed for court costs for all the stuff for Zeke, and that he is open for this due to helping in that case. ESPN I think had a great article on it.

efactor

Coming at you

Goodell is just putting Jerry in his place, like the awesome commissioner he is.........................

Phicinfan

Administrator
So it has been resolved, per PFT and ESPN Jerry has paid more than $2 million dollars in legal fees back to the NFL post his appeal hearing.