Giants break out the Matches

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
And fire HC Ben McAdoo and GM Jerry Reese...

ESPN insiders said they had heard rumors that one or both could be fired as early as today, and seems they were correct.

Now, what effect this has on Eli is unknown.

MongerKhan

TXL: Pimp Hand Strong
Staff member
Bahahaha

And people are saying that Eli Manning's going to start this week.

Ruined his consecutive games streak for absolutely nothing.

Phicinfan

Administrator
If I were Manning, I would say go soak. I am gone next year, and you can do what you want with this team

hikeNbike

I think its best for Manning to play elsewhere, for bothr Manning and the Giants. Eli has only a couple good years left if any. Giants won't be contending anytime soon. They would br best served with a qb from thr draft. Eli would be best served on a team eith a strong d that needs a competent not to mess things up. Maybe Jacksonville or depending what happens in Arizona or Minnrsota either might work.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

hikeNbike

Denver might be interesting as well. Not sure if wheels came off just because of the qb or if the defense regressed. But assuming they can get the defense playing back at an elite level, Eli would do fine there too.

Last edited:

Phicinfan

Administrator
Eli isn't that mobile. So he really needs a team with a solid O-line. Right now Denver's is awful. Jax could be a fit. Buffalo might, with their run game. Minnesota might be interesting if they can't sign one of the three they have.

hikeNbike

McCarron in Jacksonville is what I would like to see. Think there is a good chance Mahomes starts in KC and that puts Alex Smith in Buffalo. Giants draft a qb, they really have to even if they keep Eli. Lets say Eli in Arizona. Warm weather better on the older qb. Where is Cousins goung though? Thats the one that I cant figure out, I thought he would do to San Francisco but that appears out now. How bout the Vikings? No idea their cap situation, but with that defense, if you get Cousins tgen Delvin Cook back, and have Thielen and Diggs at receiver, and Rudolph is a pretty good TE, that might be the team to beat day 1.

Arctic Dawgs

Vikings $57.6mil in cap space, Sitting in a good spot.

When talking about the Giants, remember this is the same ownership that drafted Rivers, traded him for Eli, then started Warner for 1 yr. The same owner who has just terminated the Coach and GM and stated that Eli is not going anywhere. Eli has 2 yrs left on a reasonable contract with a no trade clause. So he would have to be cut and then the Giants would not even get a 3rd/4th compensatory pick. Almost everyone seems to believe Eli is moving on. I find this very highly doubtful, almost laughable

Phicinfan

Administrator
Vikings $57.6mil in cap space, Sitting in a good spot.

When talking about the Giants, remember this is the same ownership that drafted Rivers, traded him for Eli, then started Warner for 1 yr. The same owner who has just terminated the Coach and GM and stated that Eli is not going anywhere. Eli has 2 yrs left on a reasonable contract with a no trade clause. So he would have to be cut and then the Giants would not even get a 3rd/4th compensatory pick. Almost everyone seems to believe Eli is moving on. I find this very highly doubtful, almost laughable
And your point is?
First and foremost he said he would like him to stay, not he WAS staying, he also said it would be a discussion with the new GM on that. So its not locked by any means.

Secondly, they have to rebuild, and more picks and more salary cap is the best way to strip and go. Trading Eli should net at least a 2nd rounder, as his deal isn't that cap heavy, and save the team some cash as well.

Thirdly even IF they kept Eli, they probably draft a Qb anyway, and the pressure to use him and get him time on field will be tremendous.

Lastly, the no trade clause can be waived by the player, and I am betting after what happened, he will make it work if its a team that can win now.

Arctic Dawgs

And your point is?
First and foremost he said he would like him to stay, not he WAS staying, he also said it would be a discussion with the new GM on that. So its not locked by any means.

Secondly, they have to rebuild, and more picks and more salary cap is the best way to strip and go. Trading Eli should net at least a 2nd rounder, as his deal isn't that cap heavy, and save the team some cash as well.

Thirdly even IF they kept Eli, they probably draft a Qb anyway, and the pressure to use him and get him time on field will be tremendous.

Lastly, the no trade clause can be waived by the player, and I am betting after what happened, he will make it work if its a team that can win now.

You made most of my point. I also believe the Giants take a QB in the draft. I do not see them dumping Eli and commiting to starting whoever that rookie they get is, before the draft even happens. Don't forget that they can still trade off Eli later in the season or next year without painting themselves into a corner. He has several years left on his contract. So if it is not going to happen when FA opens, then when. Middle of training Camp ?? and which of those QB desperate teams is going to pass on the FAs and wait until then on the chance Eli comes available ?? and would Eli be willing to go to that team ??

Just reading the "Tea Leaves" here

Remember last year, Teams were lined up to go after Romo until Jones got greedy and sat on him until middle of training camp and then no market. I can't believe Romo did Jerry such a huge favour and retired. He should have just kept collecting his check and have Jerry eat the salary cap

The Giants priority now has to be coach and GM, and I don't think getting someone who will buckle to Fan/Media pressure is very high on their list. They'll want what is best for the team long term. I can not see how dumping Eli for that unknown at this point rookie QB will be best for the team

Phicinfan

Administrator
You made most of my point. I also believe the Giants take a QB in the draft. I do not see them dumping Eli and commiting to starting whoever that rookie they get is, before the draft even happens. Don't forget that they can still trade off Eli later in the season or next year without painting themselves into a corner. He has several years left on his contract. So if it is not going to happen when FA opens, then when. Middle of training Camp ?? and which of those QB desperate teams is going to pass on the FAs and wait until then on the chance Eli comes available ?? and would Eli be willing to go to that team ??

Just reading the "Tea Leaves" here

Remember last year, Teams were lined up to go after Romo until Jones got greedy and sat on him until middle of training camp and then no market. I can't believe Romo did Jerry such a huge favour and retired. He should have just kept collecting his check and have Jerry eat the salary cap

The Giants priority now has to be coach and GM, and I don't think getting someone who will buckle to Fan/Media pressure is very high on their list. They'll want what is best for the team long term. I can not see how dumping Eli for that unknown at this point rookie QB will be best for the team
but this is not Dallas, and the Owner Mara likes Eli. If Eli wants to leave, they will work a deal. Yes they could trade him later, but later won't get them picks THIS year, which they need.

$20 million in cap space to get needed help is nothing to sneeze at, especially if they can get some kind of picks for Eli as well. Lets face it, there are a handfull of teams that desperately need a real Qb to get them over the hump, Denver comes to mind most...heck even Minnesota. The cost for Cousins will be HUGE. Both Denver and Minnesota need to win now, as their defenses are aging, and going to get more expensive to keep. Getting Eli for a 2nd round pick or even less, would meet the need of a solid Qb that can win games if needed. Jacksonville also fits that mode, but their issue is they might lose some Wr talent this year due to Robinson and Lee being FAs.

Buffalo also comes to mind, but I am not sure what they will do, and doubt they do as well. One other wild card to me is Miami. When Cutler is good Cutler they can really move the ball. When Cutler is bad Cutler(Tannehill) they suck.

Giants might sit on Eli yes. Draft the future early and let the kid learn. Issue there is if team still sucks, and they want to start the rookie, there will be NO value for Eli, teams will wait for them to just cut him. Now is the time to deal him to get maximum value.

hikeNbike

I agre8e now is the time to trade Eli. The question they have to ask is without the injuries and a better coach is there enough to contend with Eli, I dont think so. Especially considering Eagles and Cowboys look like long team good teams. So you trade Eli, stock up on picks and draft a qb first. You can get a fill in for a year if qb, McCown, Tyrod Taylor, Fitzpatrick, etc. If the rookie needs a year on the bench before he is ready. Draft qb then ideally build up the offensive and defensive lines, the caveat of course is getting a good gm who can make good picks.