EWU to install red turf

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
Eastern Washington to install red artificial turf on football field - ESPN

red-field-eastern-washington.jpg

Athletic director Bill Chaves was seeking attention last month and sure got it when he announced that the turf would be red."The uniqueness of the red field was able to generate an amazing amount of publicity," Chaves said.

It also has generated donations. Michael Roos, an Eastern Washington alumnus who is a lineman for the NFL's Tennessee Titans, kicked the drive off with a $500,000 donation. ESPN broadcaster Colin Cowherd, also an EWU graduate, threw in $50,000.

Money continues to pour in toward the $1 million needed to roll out the red carpet on Sept. 18 against Montana.

Eastern Washington, located in this suburb outside Spokane, has long been a successful FCS program in the Big Sky Conference. But the Eagles have never gotten much national recognition, or even that much local attention. Attendance is usually around 5,000 for football games at Woodward Field, a tiny stadium on the edge of town that is surrounded by wheat fields.

EWU athletics has never made $ this easy. I wonder if this sparks a trend?

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"
And have both teams in red uniforms to match that would be funny as hell :biglaugh:, why does it matter to the schools what color the turf is :headscratch: IMO its kind of stupid the NFL better not go to this color turf crap

RZR

Sun-kissed & restless
OMG! Another representation of marketing dollars hard at work... and it gives new meaning to the term Red Zone.

What's it gonna be like watching a team with red uniforms play? They'll blend in with the turf!

Last edited by a moderator:

catman

Baseball "Expert"
It will certainly be "interesting" to watch games there. I'm sure the ball will be hard to see on the ground, though.

GFL Commissioner

Ultimate Commissioner
That's crazy! I saw a college game where there was blue turf! That's nuts. It's like pools tables when they started changing the felt from green. Not good. I don't care if they do it to the endzones to match the team colours, but the main field should be green.

Next they'll want the floors under the ice in hockey arenas to be the team's colours. Or the entire court for basketball teams! LMAO!

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
First year on the red turf was a huge success. Undefeated at home, Big Sky Champions, hosted 2 home playoff games, play in their first Natl. Championship and win the sucker.