Edge James realizes his time with the Cards is coming to an end.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
This has become pretty obvious, but James' run with the Cards is in it's last couple games as James expects to be released in the offseason.

Edgerrin James knows his next game with the Cardinals likely will be his last, and he will shed no tears when that happens. The Cardinals are expected to release James in the off season and he wants out. "I think the feeling is mutual," he said, laughing. "It's not something I'm going to contest."

Does he have anything left in the tank to help a team out? Or may this be his last ride? Does he disappear into the sunset like Dillon or does someone give him a shot to extend his career another year or two?

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
A Dillon type role in New England wouldn't surprise me. Good line play plus a shot at the Super Bowl. I think he has enough left in the tank for that kind of environment.

dukdown

Banned
Nice job by Edge of throwing in a chemistry-wrench right before the Cardinals play their first playoff game at home in like 50 years.

Mike

Administrator
How little money is he willing to play for? That will determine his future in 2009

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
He sure looked able tonight, he may have earned himself another contract somewhere tonight!

Runnik's Hambones

After yesterdays game, it is clear that James is trying out for whoever wants him. He can still play. James is not the most explosive he's ever been, but he knows that he can produce 4 yards a carry.

dannywest

Florida Skunk Apes
After yesterdays game, it is clear that James is trying out for whoever wants him. He can still play. James is not the most explosive he's ever been, but he knows that he can produce 4 yards a carry.

He can produce 4 yards per carry in two games out of the season, that's not saying an awful lot.

Sounds like he's looking for a feature back role, or at least a 50/50 situation, I just don't see how any team would be willing to give him that many carries.

Runnik's Hambones

I do. Look right out your back door man! Do you honestly think that a team like the Bucs wouldn't consider giving him a split role? And yes he only had a couple games this year, not all of those I feel were his fault however. With the RB issues Tampa has I can see him coming in and getting a few carries a game, at least more than he did in Arizona this year. The Cards seemed to place way too much hope in Hightower and I honestly think that if they had given the majority of the carries to James, and kept Hightower as the redzone back like they did at the beginning of the season and pre-season, they would have had a far better running game. Sgt also mentioned Denver. I could see him getting a shot there, however I still believe Torrain should be the starter there. There will be a home for James, and I think last night and next week he's going to do his best to try and prove that.

dannywest

Florida Skunk Apes
I do. Look right out your back door man! Do you honestly think that a team like the Bucs wouldn't consider giving him a split role? And yes he only had a couple games this year, not all of those I feel were his fault however. With the RB issues Tampa has I can see him coming in and getting a few carries a game, at least more than he did in Arizona this year. The Cards seemed to place way too much hope in Hightower and I honestly think that if they had given the majority of the carries to James, and kept Hightower as the redzone back like they did at the beginning of the season and pre-season, they would have had a far better running game. Sgt also mentioned Denver. I could see him getting a shot there, however I still believe Torrain should be the starter there. There will be a home for James, and I think last night and next week he's going to do his best to try and prove that.

The Bucs would sure, but does that really say anything about Edge's value? How many aging runningbacks, quarterbacks and tightends do we sign each year?
Additionally, I'm not sure that your evalutation of the Cardinals running game is entirely accurate. Let's look at the facts for just a second...Hightower had 143 carries for 399 yards, James had 133 carries for 514 yards...I hardly think that ten more carries during the regular season could be considered placing "way too much hope" in someone. The biggest difference between these two was the touchdowns, Hightower had 10, James had 3. The fact is that it wasn't so much that James wasn't being used this year, it was that the running game wasn't being used this year.
The point is that I'm just not sold on how a 30 year old back could possibly have a bigger role on a team than he did this year in Arizona.

Runnik's Hambones

It's fair to asses how a 30 year old back can produce, but look at the numbers you just now gave me. Hightower, with 10 more rushes than James, only put up 399 yards, while Edge put up 514. Edge has over a yard average higher than the quite young RB, Hightower. So excuse me if I find age to be a sour argument here.

I never said that Edge could be a feature back on an NFL team today. I think that he will need help. A goaline back to come in and take short yardage beating and yes, maybe eat up the TD stat, but if teams are looking for a guy that can actually run the ball 20-25 times a game, and get a fairly good average, I truly believe that James could be the guy.

dannywest

Florida Skunk Apes
I'm not disagreeing with you in Edge's change of pace value. However, it seems that his biggest gripe with Arizona is the amount of carries that he's been given this year and, no, I don't see how he will get more carries than that on any other team.

And 20-25 carries a game? Come on buddy, that's not a split back role and that's not something that Edge can handle any more, and sure, you can argue the San Fran game and the Buffalo game, but we're not exactly talking about two top tier rushing defenses there.

Runnik's Hambones

Perhaps then my faith is a bet shrewd, and now that I re-read what I wrote, you're right, 20-25 carries is pushing it. I can see James on another team getting maybe 4 games with 20+ carries. Other than that though, give him the ball at least 10 times a game. I think with 180+ carries in a season, he can net you 780+ yards.

Is that a bit more realistic?

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
just about every team in the league now is using 2 RBs pretty consistently. you dont think edge is one of the top 60 RBs available right now? you dont think he could fill the role of a buckhalter or a chester taylor or a ricky williams? i think he still can for a few years, just zona has no idea how to use their RBs.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
just about every team in the league now is using 2 RBs pretty consistently. you dont think edge is one of the top 60 RBs available right now? you dont think he could fill the role of a buckhalter or a chester taylor or a ricky williams? i think he still can for a few years, just zona has no idea how to use their RBs.

:nod:

But since teams aren't likely to pay him a lot, he'll look for that kind of role on a contender. Maybe to the Pats, maybe replacing Ward, complementing Westbrook...

Runnik's Hambones

I think we all agree that this is what Edge can do. We all know that he can succeed at this role and do it quite well. The question is if Edge is ready to take that seat. His complaint was mostly that he wasn't getting enough carries. He needs to understand his role to teams before they'll take him.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I completely agree with your assessment with one major problem......

• How much are you going to pay for that "role" player and how little is Edge going to be willing to accept. Edge seems to be one that is all about the money and will have a hard time taking a lesser amount, even on a contender....he's still going to want to be paid, and I'm not sure your going to find a fit. I don't see him taking less than 4-5 mil a year and I'm not sure your going to find a lot of teams jumping up an down to give him that.