Eagles QB Vick Likes The Panthers

Coachnorm

As the St. Louis Rams have tired to separate themselves recently from the Michael Vick rumors, Vick himself said during an Atlanta radio appearance last weekend that he has two teams he would like to play for, and one of them is the Carolina Panthers.

Coachnorm

Just some more Vick notes.

According to Mike Lombardi of the National Football Post, the Eagles will not trade Michael Vick unless they get a second-round pick in return. Analysis: Lombardi's stance has softened since predicting early last month that the Eagles no longer planned to trade Vick. Now, he says Philly knows it could get a third-round compensatory pick in 2011 should Vick stay on the roster this year, and sign elsewhere next offseason.

Still have to pay him over $5 million.

mills

Vick could easily step in and be the QB for the Panthers... who does he need to beat out? Delhomme? Matt Moore? Moore looked decent his couple of games he started but Vick brings more to the table, a dynamic aspect the Panthers need to bring that offense back up to snuff. With Stewart and Williams there, that back field would be dirty. Put them all on the field at once and see who the defense focuses on.

efactor

Coming at you
Vick could easily step in and be the QB for the Panthers... who does he need to beat out? Delhomme? Matt Moore? Moore looked decent his couple of games he started but Vick brings more to the table, a dynamic aspect the Panthers need to bring that offense back up to snuff. With Stewart and Williams there, that back field would be dirty. Put them all on the field at once and see who the defense focuses on.

He would do something similar for the Panther running game that VY did for the Titans and Chris Johnson. Opens up a lot of lanes when you have to respect that the QB can take off for 30.................

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
The Panthers already have a pair of good RB's, I can't see why they'd want a third. They need a QB and that isn't Vick IMO of course.

efactor

Coming at you
The Panthers already have a pair of good RB's, I can't see why they'd want a third. They need a QB and that isn't Vick IMO of course.

Well, his threat to run would make the defense more honest and open up the running game even more. No coincidence that Johnson was more explosive after Young took over. Teams didn't have to commit a defensive man to stopping Collins on the run.

Vick has always intrigued me from the standpoint that he has an excellent arm and throws a tight spiral. Very pretty ball. I have always believed that with the right coaching and focus, the can be accurate enough to be a solid passing QB. Steve Young always said the same thing when he worked with him. Vick is still young. Who knows?

efactor

Coming at you

No surprise because he sucked so much the last year and a half. But WTF were they thinking when they gave him that last contract? Only adds to my belief that I could run some NFL franchises better than the people currently in charge.........:stooges:

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"
I still dont see why you (efactor) are so high on M.Vick :headscratch: i dont care how tight a spiral he can throw "A Very Pretty Ball" please he's not going to take any team anywhere.

The best thing to ever happen to the Falcons was Vick getting kicked to the curb :duckhunt: ruff ruff

Coachnorm

The Carolina Panthers cut Jake Delhomme late Thursday, just over a year after they gave him a lucrative contract extension only to watch him have his worst season as a pro.

efactor

Coming at you
I still dont see why you (efactor) are so high on M.Vick :headscratch: i dont care how tight a spiral he can throw "A Very Pretty Ball" please he's not going to take any team anywhere.

The best thing to ever happen to the Falcons was Vick getting kicked to the curb :duckhunt: ruff ruff

Where did I say I was "high" on Vick? Intrigued was the word I used. He has a great arm and throws a pretty spiral. No reason that with the right coaching and focus (which has been the real problem), he can't become a more accurate passer. Doesn't have to become Drew Brees accurate to be a good quarterback. To make a blanket statement and say he's not going to take a team anywhere is foolish.

As far as playing in Carolina, he would help the running game by being another guy the defense has to account for. Opens up the passing game too. Vince Young isn't an accurate passer either, but the Titans started winning when he took over. He did things with his feet that helped both the running and passing game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did I say I way "high" on Vick? Intrigued was the word I used. He has a great arm and throws a pretty spiral. No reason that with the right coaching and focus (which has been the real problem), he can't become a more accurate passer. Doesn't have to become Drew Brees accurate to be a good quarterback. To make a blanket statement and say he's not going to take a team anywhere is foolish.

As far as playing in Carolina, he would help the running game by being another guy the defense has to account for. Opens up the passing game too. Vince Young isn't an accurate passer either, but the Titans started winning when he took over. He did things with his feet that helped both the running and passing game.

Vick is a type of player that people tend to take pole positions - you either love him or hate him mentality almost. When you move away from the stereotypical QB that seems to happen. I agree with you IF he can pick up where he left off (I didn't see enough of him this past year to be able to gauge that) he could definitely be a positive factor for a team.

efactor

Coming at you
Vick is a type of player that people tend to take pole positions - you either love him or hate him mentality almost. When you move away from the stereotypical QB that seems to happen. I agree with you IF he can pick up where he left off (I didn't see enough of him this past year to be able to gauge that) he could definitely be a positive factor for a team.

Yeah, impossible to gauge where he is off last year. Little playing time and no real prep time after getting out of the big house.

One of the reasons that Steve Young had such an interest in Vick is that he saw a lot of himself there. A run first mentality that had to be harnessed in order for him to become a top QB. Young was a case of statistics being misleading early in his career after taking over for Montana. He wasn't that accurate either, but had such great receivers in a great offensive scheme, that he only had to be in the vicinity for those guys to make the catch. That was the biggest difference between him and Montana when he took over. The receivers weren't catching the ball in stride and couldn't make the huge plays after the catch. It took him a couple years as the starter (plus the 4 years on the bench) before he achieved the type of accuracy needed in that offense.

Anyway, Vick may never get "it" and remain the "athletic" QB who never becomes a complete QB. But it's not out of the questions that with the right system and commitment, that he can learn accuracy............

Last edited by a moderator:

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Yeah, impossible to gauge where he is off last year. Little playing time and no real prep time after getting out of the big house.

One of the reasons that Steve Young had such an interest in Vick is that he saw a lot of himself there. A run first mentality that had to be harnessed in order for him to become a top QB. Young was a case of statistics being misleading early in his career after taking over for Montana. He wasn't that accurate either, but had such great receivers in a great offensive scheme, that he only had to be in the vicinity for those guys to make the catch. That was the biggest difference between him and Montana when he took over. The receivers weren't catching the ball in stride and couldn't make the huge plays after the catch. It took him a couple years as the starter (plus the 4 years on the bench) before he achieved the type of accuracy needed in that offense.

Anyway, Vick my never get "it" and remain the "athletic" QB who never becomes a complete QB. But it's not out of the questions that with the right system and commitment, that he can learn accuracy............

My only concern on signing Vick in Carolina is S.Smith. Guy is a balistic missle ready to launch. Bring in Vick and focus ONLY on the run...and he will launch..and ruin the team. I do think in a run mainly offense Vick is huge....but not sure the fit in Carolina will work due to Smith.

efactor

Coming at you
My only concern on signing Vick in Carolina is S.Smith. Guy is a balistic missle ready to launch. Bring in Vick and focus ONLY on the run...and he will launch..and ruin the team. I do think in a run mainly offense Vick is huge....but not sure the fit in Carolina will work due to Smith.

Interesting spin. The way Jake played last year, I would have thought Smith would have cold cocked him several times. Assuming Vick has made no improvement in his accuracy, he would still be an improvment over the Delhomme of 2009. He was horrible.............

Yeah, I haven't really given much thought to the overall effect that Vick would have in Carolina, but the running game would be sick, especially if everyone on the OL is healthy again...............

eaglechick

I'm back :)
i hate to say i told you so, but i predicted delhomme's demise after his 2009 playoff performance against arizona...