Draft trade discussion....

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
So, Jets make the first real move, to go up to 3 with Indy pick to get a Qb of the future.

My question is..... Is a trade up for QB the only option?

so, lets follow the bouncing football....

Cleveland realizing the ONLY way they can control the Qb they want is to take one at #1.

That leaves Giants at #2. Players available at that value is actually very, very, very good.
You have Qb - one of 5 rated first round, with one probably gone at 1
You have one of the top DE in Chubb
You have some really solid OL like Q.Nelson
You also have.....Barkley. Is he the next Zeke???

so IF the Giants were to look at trading down(I hear rumors they are at least listening....). Is the deal up ONLY for a Qb or is Barkley a potential target??

Who really needs a top flight Rb? I assume if you take him, you have to be close and looking for that final push to top over.

1) Giants - lets face it, they have sucked at running last two years, and yes some of that is due to OL
2) Cleveland - they lost there work horse back but signed in FA Hyde. and have Duke Johnson as well.
3) Denver - hmmm....now this one...this one has merrit. They have worked on OL in FA, they have gotten a bridge Qb in Keenum(big mistake IMO). rumor has them dumping C.J. Anderson soon. this actually could fit.
4) Indianapolis - another great fit. They have Mack and some others, but a top flight Rb to support a returning Luck would be HUGE!

But, do you trade up for Rb? Most in NFL would say no now, they have totally devalued the Rbs and look at multiple backs instead. Later round draft picks.

So, could Barkley fall?

I think so. If a team trades up to #2, it has to be for Qb IMO. Only way to get who you want. So you are looking at #'s 1,2 and 3 could go Qb. That leaves 1 or 2 viable Qbs still on board. Cleveland at #4 will have the choices to make.

So thoughts...
Do you take a Rb early, at #2? Or is that only Qb territory?

Walter34

You are right in that all the top pick teams could use Barkley - as in a very high priority and need. You can even add Tampa #7 and SF @ 9 to the list.

Given that Cleveland signed Hyde, does it make more sense that they go QB at 1 and Chubb @ 4?

Denver still has the players to make a run at the playoffs for a short window. Barkley is likely the biggest impact player to improve their offence this year. Them or Indy seem like the most logical choices for a landing spot.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I have to believe that Cleveland goes Qb at 1. Unless they like one of the lower Qbs like Mayfield.

IF that is the case, they will take I would think top talent at #4. Whether that is Barkley or not I don't know.

On San Fran, they just spent significant cash on McKinnon, do they really need a Barkley?

Fully agree on Tampa...I think they would do hand stands if Barkley is there.

hikeNbike

If I was the Browns I'd go for Darnold, Allen or Rosen, whichever they like best at 1 then grab Chubb at 4. Chubb and Garrett from last year makes a heck of a pass rush combo.

I expect it to go qb, qb, qb so that Barkley and Chubb are in play at 4. Expect the Giants will trade out if they aren't committed to taking a qb, probably a trade with Buffalo or Arizona. After Darnold, Rosen, and Allen go I suspect Mayfield stays on the board a little while then goes to either Arizona or Buffalo, whichever didn't trade up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Phicinfan

Administrator
The more I think it, the more I think this runs this way......
1) Cleveland - takes qb - I am now thinking Allen though, as they fully intend T.Taylor to be starter, so that gives Allen a full year to learn
2) Giants - trade down - Rb is a luxury they need, but not at the price. Trade down to Denver or Arizona - probably Arizona - Qb -Darnold
3) N.Y. Jets - Qb - Mayfield.
4) Cleveland - Chubb here - HC has said he is dreaming of pairing Chubb with Garrett, and lets face it, of all the picks Chubb is probably the safest.
5) Denver - Qb or Quenton Nelson G Notre Dame - don't know why...a trade here to let Barkley be taken is an option
6) Indianapolis - is dancing a jig - if Barkley is there they take him, if not OL is need or DE is need, net they made out like bandits
7)......

hikeNbike

Ok so I don't really know as I really haven't seen much of Allen, but I'm not convinced he is the right pick. Thinking he is 3rd or 4th best QB option behind Darnold and Rosen, and a toss up with Mayfield. Thinking since Wentz has played so well from an off the radar school teams are trying to hit lightning in a bottle but I don't think he will have the same success.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk