Defense for the rest of the year?

Hi - in a standard league, I owned the Ravens D who has done practically Nada for me. Albeit, w/o E. Reed for most of the year.

Last week, I dropped them for the Chiefs D.

This week, the following are F/A: Ravens D, Vikings D, and Saints D.

Should I drop the Chiefs D for one of these or add a second and play the match-up. If so, which one?

I'm leaning towards keeping the Chiefs D and picking up the Saints D, they looked good against the Steelers last week.

Deacon

Bacon=greatest of all!
I would play matchups the rest of the way. At this point teams are pretty much gonna be who they have been so far.

Each week I would scour the WW and find the best defense that is playing Dallas, Arizona, Carolina, Buffalo, or Chicago and roll with them. You will be almost assured to get turnovers and sacks against these offensively challenged teams and with good fortune some TDs.

Vicious_Machine

Minny next week! They get AZ!

And for that list, remove Dallas for me! Yes, Kitna threw a few picks, but he will not be throwing that much going forward. Dallas still has lots of talent on O, and outside the titans, they do not give up many sacks. (3 or fewer sacks in every game EXCEPT the one against the Titans). I rather get a D against a bad O-line that gives up more sacks.

Deacon

Bacon=greatest of all!
Minny next week! They get AZ!

And for that list, remove Dallas for me! Yes, Kitna threw a few picks, but he will not be throwing that much going forward. Dallas still has lots of talent on O, and outside the titans, they do not give up many sacks. (3 or fewer sacks in every game EXCEPT the one against the Titans). I rather get a D against a bad O-line that gives up more sacks.

I will throw out Dallas for you...but all I know is I just scored 28 pts against them with Green Bay's D. :nannie:

Dallas has given up and Dez Bryant is the only player on offense that is playing with any heart. I'm looking for the Giants in every league I can for next week!:grin:

cctekguy

Staff member
I'm riding the Chiefs until play-off time and even then may just add another and keep them.

Gravy schedule and the return guys are electric.

and how about the Raiders. That team is playing with heart.

I agree with you Deacon, Dallas has given up. Last night game was scary, someone is going to get hurt if this team doesn't pull it together. If I were Kitna, I know I would be very concerned.

This week, I went with the Saints and dropped the Chiefs for McGahee. I couldn't resist. But if possible, I am going to grab the Chiefs, Raiders, or Lions if they make it thru waivers and become free agents. I don't want to use up a Waiver position since I am slowly inching my way up to number 1.

BTW: this may be obvious to many but having a number 1 waiver position late in the season is money in the bank. You can drop your handcuffs for players with more upside. And if you RB1 goes down, you have waiver priority to pick up the backup. I would only recommend this if your handcuff has limited upside. I wouldn't do this with Hightower (Wells), McGahee (Rice), Williams (Brown), and other backup RBs in committee situations that are productive.

Deacon

Bacon=greatest of all!
You did right going with NO against Carolina. I had NO in one of my leagues and they scored 21 pts.

I would stress going after defenses that play weaker offensive teams though. Almost anyone that plays Carolina will score well at defense. Carolina can't score much, their 2 top backs are injured, and they may have the worst QB situation in the league. So far their weekly offensive scoring has been: 18,7,7,14,6,23,10,3. So you can see you will at least score for pts allowed even if you don't get turnovers or sacks.

Chicago can score some pts but they start giving up sacks getting off the bus. Sacks lead to fumbles or Cutler panicking and throwing pics. Chicago's O-line is so bad you can basically count on getting pts there.

Same applies to Arizona and Buffalo. They can put up pts but they turn the ball over alot and give up sacks. Not as bad as Chicago but still bad enough to count on them accomodating most good defenses.

Dallas is just flat out sorry right now. No other way to put it. If they get behind in a game then they have no fight in them. They can't run the ball and relying on Kitna will be a disaster every week.

I think having a solid D like KC or Detroit is good but you may only get medocre pts scored from them. Targeting specific teams that are prone to make mistakes can produce much better results for those good defensive teams.

Deacon

Bacon=greatest of all!
The defense to get this week if available on WW is Tampa Bay. They play Carolina who will be starting their rookie QB and 3rd string RB. Should be a rout with much potential for turnovers!