Could Harrison end up in Philly with McNabb?

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
It seems like the absolute perfect fit to me.

Marvin Harrison is looking for a place to play for another year or two after his release from Indy. Donovan McNabb has been looking for a sure handed receiver and a veteran performer, and he's got 2 years left on his contract in Philly. Both of them are Syracuse guys and I believe they played together for a year, and I think McNabb has even campaigned for Harrison in the past.

Philly has a couple of good younger guys like DeSean Jackson and Kevin Curtis, guys that can stretch the field and make the big play, but what about a guy that can move the chains and make the sure catch when it must be made.

A match made in heaven?

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
Will Harrison's knees and the rest of his body hold up for another season? I would be worried about his health.

Runnik's Hambones

I think Harrison has some gas left in that tank. Just not as much as he thinks he has is all. I'm with you here DB. Harrison could be the vet that the Eagles have been looking for. I mean, he already owns a club in Philly, right?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I agree, the match would be solid. But I hope beyond hope that the Eagles also try to get T.J. or trade for Boldin as well. Especially since I see the Giants will be hot after T.J.

But yes, to have a solid vet like Marvin to tutor the youngster Jackson would be awesome.

nicholete

Hope comes with batteries
I think Harrison has some gas left in that tank. Just not as much as he thinks he has is all. I'm with you here DB. Harrison could be the vet that the Eagles have been looking for. I mean, he already owns a club in Philly, right?

Yes and I believe he is from Philly.

Mike

Administrator
The problem is that this isn't the Harrison of old, it is an older slower version of Harrison who's body is starting to break down. Not only that, his hands have become less than impressive as well.

Marvin Harrison had a great chemistry with Peyton Manning (most receivers would). If you remember back before Peyton Manning arrived in Indy, Colts fans were growing impatient with Harrison, wondering when he would live up to his hype. Manning changed all that because it allowed Harrison to do whatever Harrison wanted to do. This is not your typical "team guy". He runs his routes, and the offense adjusts around him. That worked great until the last couple seasons.

Now, you want to take this aging receiver and throw him into the NFC East? That's going to be a tough place to finish out your career. Not to mention, sending this guy to Philly might be the worst location he could land right now. Don't put Harrison in the location that brings out the "other Harrison" that Peyton Manning refers to.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
As a McNuggett owner I would rather see Housh or Boldin :hyper: sign with the Eagles. I also think Harrison can still play but I think this connection with Philly's needs is more convenience than logic.

GRS0002

I doubt Harrison goes from a dome to a outside cold stadium.
Harrison is a nice complomentry WR now, but he's old and shy's from contact. Watch tape on him. His arms don't extend out and he doesn't make those catchs he used to when he was younger. He's not a stay after practice to help the youngesters kind of guy.
I see Harrison in TB or Miami, unless he swallows his pride to take a lesser contract with the Colts.
The Eagles are very good at letting players go when they are on the decline, so I doubt they bring in a declining skills WR. They are one of the best teams in the NFL at seperating buisness from feelings about the player.
D.J. Hackett would be a better fit for the Eagles IMO, that is if they believe he can stay on the field and likely be cheaper.
The Eagles should just buckle down and over-pay for Housh. They are always in the market for the big names, but never come through because they claim they are not going to over-pay for a stud WR. Therefore, they never get a WR.

Phicinfan

Administrator
The Eagles are very good at letting players go when they are on the decline, so I doubt they bring in a declining skills WR. They are one of the best teams in the NFL at seperating buisness from feelings about the player.
This is true, and a very good point.
D.J. Hackett would be a better fit for the Eagles IMO, that is if they believe he can stay on the field and likely be cheaper.
Oh, now you went and ruined it. Why would they do hackett? They had Hackett at one time already with Stallworth. Not worth a dime since they can't stay on the field.
The Eagles should just buckle down and over-pay for Housh. They are always in the market for the big names, but never come through because they claim they are not going to over-pay for a stud WR. Therefore, they never get a WR.
I agree on getting Housh. As for the other...what about Owens?

GRS0002

The Eagles did get T.O. but they didn't over pay him IMO. I thought they got a good deal on him (7yrs 49 mil if I'm correct) because of his personality and acting out. Also note that I believe that was a trade between the 49ers, Ravens, and the Eagles. T.O. was not really a free agent signing, which is the only reason the Eagles were competative in getting Owens. Owens was traded to the Ravens for a second round pick and T.O. threw a fit by refusing to take a physical, because he wanted to go to Philly. An arbitrator decided T.O. could go to Philly and Philly gave a fifth round pick to Baltimore and Brandon Whiting to the 49ers. Baltimore got their 2nd back from S.F. In the end, it was really a 3 way trade.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
I doubt Harrison goes from a dome to a outside cold stadium.
Harrison is a nice complomentry WR now, but he's old and shy's from contact. Watch tape on him. His arms don't extend out and he doesn't make those catchs he used to when he was younger. He's not a stay after practice to help the youngesters kind of guy.
I see Harrison in TB or Miami, unless he swallows his pride to take a lesser contract with the Colts.

wow, excellent point, new guy. :pickle:

Phicinfan

Administrator
wow, excellent point, new guy. :pickle:
Yes it was, it is one reason you won't see a big vet purge like Tampa, Denver and KC are doing. Unfortunately, it sometimes gets the fans in an uproar.

Phicinfan

Administrator
The Eagles did get T.O. but they didn't over pay him IMO. I thought they got a good deal on him (7yrs 49 mil if I'm correct) because of his personality and acting out. Also note that I believe that was a trade between the 49ers, Ravens, and the Eagles. T.O. was not really a free agent signing, which is the only reason the Eagles were competative in getting Owens. Owens was traded to the Ravens for a second round pick and T.O. threw a fit by refusing to take a physical, because he wanted to go to Philly. An arbitrator decided T.O. could go to Philly and Philly gave a fifth round pick to Baltimore and Brandon Whiting to the 49ers. Baltimore got their 2nd back from S.F. In the end, it was really a 3 way trade.
True it was a trade. I was just pointing out that Owens did not come cheap.

But to your other point, Philly won't overpay for anyone. They look for the key players they think will really help, and spend appropriately to get them. Some they are right on...some they are not. Kearse comes to mind there. Still, if for no other reason than to keep him away from the Giants...I hope they do go hard and heavy for T.J.

GRS0002

True it was a trade. I was just pointing out that Owens did not come cheap.

But to your other point, Philly won't overpay for anyone. They look for the key players they think will really help, and spend appropriately to get them. Some they are right on...some they are not. Kearse comes to mind there. Still, if for no other reason than to keep him away from the Giants...I hope they do go hard and heavy for T.J.

They were definitly wrong on Kearse, but everyone misses some times. The top WR draft pick in the year they got T.O. probubally signed for about 7 to 8 mil a year, so I think the 7 mil a year for one of the top WR's in the game as a pretty good deal. Also note that the deal was so good for the Eagles, that T.O. tried to renegotiate the next year, because he realized he signed for too low.
I'm not an Eagles fan by any means, but they are very solid decision makers. The only thing I question with the Eagles is the way they operate in the free agent market.
The issue with getting Housh for the Eagles is that the Eagles will come up with their own value for Housh and cap their bid at that. The laws of supply and demand dictate that Housh's "value" is whatever someone will pay for him. Therefore, the Eagles knock themselves out of the majority of high profile free agents by sticking to their pre-determined value of a player and not recognizing that they were just off on the players value in the market. The Eagles always come out and say that they were interested in the player, but he went for too much. I'm sure there are Eagles fans out there that see this over and over again and those people are pretty sure - deep down inside - that the Eagles will probubally go into 2009 with DeSean/Curtis on the outside and Avant in the slot. It's unfortunite for Eagles fans, because Housh would be a great addition for them.

Last edited by a moderator: