Childress welcomes an open competiton at QB

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Childress, who is non-committal on the topic and often sidesteps questions on what exactly the Vikings have planned, indicated Tarvaris Jackson — who ended 2008 as the starter — might be given a chance to claim the spot but said the team will bring in competition in some form.
“I think Tarvaris has to continue to improve, without a doubt,” Childress said. “And I think he will. I think he gave some glimpses coming back in off the bench in some things he did. Obviously, he has to eliminate the turnovers; I’d like to see the touchdown-to-turnover ratio change. We need to put somebody in place that can push him, that can compete with him. I think competition is the nature of the game.”
One possible source of Jackson’s competition could come in the form of veteran Gus Frerotte. Childress confirmed he has spoken recently with Frerotte, who is under contract with the Vikings but has said he wants to return as the starter. Frerotte could ask for his release or retire, but Childress said the 15-year veteran has an “open door” to return. He said he doesn’t believe Frerotte has made a final decision on his future.

NFL.com Blogs Blog Archive Childress welcomes open QB competition

Man, if the Vikes really go into next year with the same QB situation they had this past year you really have to start questioning the leadership in that front office.....

RLLD

It's time for them to at least hedge.

There is a solid chance for them to get Boller out of Baltimore, and to be fair the kid was given a pretty raw deal there, and given the right circumstances could provide a few years of perhaps solid play....ala Dilfer-style

Mike

Administrator
It's time for them to at least hedge.

There is a solid chance for them to get Boller out of Baltimore, and to be fair the kid was given a pretty raw deal there, and given the right circumstances could provide a few years of perhaps solid play....ala Dilfer-style

Boller? Seriously?

The whole "Dilfer" scenario has killed franchises lately. Baltimore had a season where their running back simply exploded every defense in the league, and their defense was quite possibly the best the NFL has ever seen.

The result? the Ravens won with a below average quarterback, one year, and that quarterback never seen that success again.

Since then, there has been a constant effort to build around a "decent" quarterback, and it isnt' working.

That Super Bowl, which capped off the 2000 season, had nothing to do with the QB play. It was all about the devastating defense, led by Super Bowl MVP Ray Lewis.

RLLD

Boller? Seriously?

The whole "Dilfer" scenario has killed franchises lately. Baltimore had a season where their running back simply exploded every defense in the league, and their defense was quite possibly the best the NFL has ever seen.

The result? the Ravens won with a below average quarterback, one year, and that quarterback never seen that success again.

Since then, there has been a constant effort to build around a "decent" quarterback, and it isnt' working.

That Super Bowl, which capped off the 2000 season, had nothing to do with the QB play. It was all about the devastating defense, led by Super Bowl MVP Ray Lewis.

Agree completely.

Would also note that the Vikings are developing a very nasty defense, and have a solid super star at running back, all they really need for a run is a serviceable QB.....at least one that makes few mistakes.....

Last year we might be having a similar discussion about Pennington, but al that cat needed was a change of scenery....

Just sayin.....:xponder:

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Since then the Steelers have won two Super Bowls with a great defense, and a serviceable QB......