Chiefs To Move to A 3-4 Defense.

Coachnorm

Williams and the Chiefs defense will likely be moving to a 3-4 front following the hiring of defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast, the Kansas City Star reports. This is the sort of thing FFers in large IDP leagues should keep an eye on. Off season moves and the draft could offer clues to who will be performers in a new scheme. I was just reading a piece that sugested that Demorrio Williams may not be a good fit in the new Chiefs D

Williams and the Chiefs defense will likely be moving to a 3-4 front following the hiring of defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast, the Kansas City Star reports. This is the sort of thing FFers in large IDP leagues should keep an eye on. Off season moves and the draft could offer clues to who will be performers in a new scheme. I was just reading a piece that sugested that Demorrio Williams may not be a good fit in the new Chiefs D
Could indicate the Chiefs aren't going WR in the first round, which they shouldn't. Put the D back in KC.

speed and more speed. combined with more speed. and athleticism.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Another trait of the 3-4 is that your 2 MLB's don't have to 250+ pounders like what's desired in a 4-3 with a run-stuffer type.
In this case, maybe they're already anticipating drafting Curry, and thinking Dorsey would fit better as the big anchor of a 3-4 D-line.

DearbornDolfan

Does Dorsey have the durability to stand up long term as a 3-4 NT in the NFL?

Maybe. He's more of a Sapp type, but the 3-4 has the potential to work with a penetrator. It's incredibly risky because the NT has to get behind the line every play to redirect the flow of the offensive play and I don't know if Dorsey is that good.

DearbornDolfan

Where there is a fool there's an LJ

That's true, but I would argue that a veteran NT is about the most valued commodity in the league right now. Compared to a dime a dozen RB like LJ, a team is going to be asking for rather steep draft pick compensation to make that trade.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I see your point in it all, but I also dont think Johnson fits the "Patriot Way", and I cant see him in a red uniform any longer than Pioli HAS to have him in it.

GRS0002

The interview with their coach I recently heard indicated that they were switching their Def base. However, he did say they weren't going to change until the pieces were in place. Therefore, the switch might not happen this year. If I remember correctly the Detroit Lions recently tried to switch Def bases last year without the proper guys and that could explain part of the reason their def was so bad last year (I could be wrong on this from my memory).

The Chiefs would probubally love to move LJ for more parts to make a team. The biggest issue is the contract they gave LJ. It will be very tough to find a team to take on that burden, even if LJ is traded at a discount... money is always an issue. LJ has high milage and turning 30 this year. His contract I believe runs through 2012. I think LJ is going to be forced to renegotiate this or next year (much like this years LT situation) or be released.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
The interview with their coach I recently heard indicated that they were switching their Def base. However, he did say they weren't going to change until the pieces were in place. Therefore, the switch might not happen this year. If I remember correctly the Detroit Lions recently tried to switch Def bases last year without the proper guys and that could explain part of the reason their def was so bad last year (I could be wrong on this from my memory).

The Chiefs would probubally love to move LJ for more parts to make a team. The biggest issue is the contract they gave LJ. It will be very tough to find a team to take on that burden, even if LJ is traded at a discount... money is always an issue. LJ has high milage and turning 30 this year. His contract I believe runs through 2012. I think LJ is going to be forced to renegotiate this or next year (much like this years LT situation) or be released.
According to the new GM, they fully intend to keep LJ and Gonzales. They also would like to keep Waters on the OL, but some feel it is too late for him, per an article at PFT today.

ExperiencedRookie

According to the new GM, they fully intend to keep LJ and Gonzales. They also would like to keep Waters on the OL, but some feel it is too late for him, per an article at PFT today.

Waters received a very cold shoulder a month ago after Pioli was hired. Brian flew into KC to go and meet the new regime. He was turned away however because Scott was "too busy" to meet Brian.

This really ticked him off.

Pissing off you best offensive lineman ; not smart.

RUBBER DUCKIE

No one that I've seen has specifically said that LJ is not going to be traded. Everyone in the Chiefs organization has avoided giving an actual awnser to that question. Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt yesterday also declined to respond if LJ was going to be traded or shopped and he said:

“That’s a decision (general manager Scott Pioli and coach Todd Haley) will have to make, and I think it’s probably too early to even ask them where they stand. They need to spend some time with Larry and figure out how he fits in.”

Figure out how he fits in is not a ringing endorsement. If my math is correct from the contact info I have... trade/release LJ costs 8.8 mil against the cap and to keep him costs 8.2 mil. They'll probubally be lucky to even get a sniff of a 4th or 5th round conditional pick for him and lose .6 mil in the process of the trade against the cap.

LJ is a free thinker and says what's on his mind. LJ does not fit in to the mold of players that will buy in and believe that KC will want... I think his days are numbered in KC no matter what management says. They have to keep the mystique that LJ is going to be a part of KC's plans or what little trade value LJ has will be gone too. Just my opinon, but I wouldn't be buying any LJ in KC stock.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
There was an article af PFT that stated a quote from the owner stating they want to keep both. I will see if I can find the link later. But they also ran a story today that said a "source" close to Gonzales that Gonzales would welcome a trade of it could happen. So here we go again.....