Chargers use franchise tag on.....Darren Sproles? WTF?

efactor

Coming at you
What is the difference in Sproles getting 6 mil for the FT and Hester making 10+ mil a year for the next 4 years?

Answer: The Bears are getting absolutely focked and the Chargers aren't.

I wasn't aware that Hester was pulling down that kind of money. WTF? :shake:

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
What is the difference in Sproles getting 6 mil for the FT and Hester making 10+ mil a year for the next 4 years?
Means the Chargers made a bad move....the Bears made a HORRIBLE move....

But hell, if Bo Scaife can get 4.5 mil for 1 year, Sproles at 6 mil seems like a bargain in comparison.

efactor

Coming at you
But hell, if Bo Scaife can get 4.5 mil for 1 year, Sproles at 6 mil seems like a bargain in comparison.

Now you're coming around............:grin:

Some of these guys are getting stupid money. You made a point that TJ wasn't worth the 10 million to franchise him and I agree. But I would rather give TJ 10 million than Scaife 4.5 or Hester 10 million..........

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
hester is one of the most valuable players in the league, or at least was before they turned him into a receiver. he was single handedly worth a handful of wins every season as a kick returner. anyone who watched bears games can tell you that much. he is worth more than any of these other contracts.

Escrow

hester is one of the most valuable players in the league, or at least was before they turned him into a receiver. he was single handedly worth a handful of wins every season as a kick returner. anyone who watched bears games can tell you that much. he is worth more than any of these other contracts.

That is why I am agreeing with this...I as a GM would rather pay a guy more than he is worth to not be on someone else's team...why do you think the Raiders always tag Asomuga?

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
returners life of impact are short IMO. Hester was worth 10 mil for a year or two.....but he's not the way they use him and wouldn't be over the life time of that deal even as just a returner. Sproles and Hester's values are very similar at this point.

efactor

Coming at you

But as Miller pointed out, the life of a kick returner is short. Hester was amazing but now is (was) a punt returner/WR, no longer returning kickoffs. Not because of his expanded role as a WR, but he wasn't effective as a KR last year. Don't claim to know why, but reminded me a bit of Dante Hall. Great for 2-3 years and then nothing special.

Sproles was a feature back at K-State against big and fast Big 12 defenses and did it while putting up record numbers. And while he might never be a feature back, he's a sick second option if the Chargers draft somebody like Moreno to replace LT.
Which is why it is wiser to tag Biggie with a one year K than it is to gun him down with an extra large K.

small side note here: Smalls (Sproles) had a somewhat down year after a monster junior year. I remember, having taken him number 1. Overall. As a Senior.

Excellent post.

I must add: "On the right team". and also your use of the word, 'was'.

I think the biggest worry with big money K's is the word, 'was'.

discoverecology

Revvin' for Seven!!
They mistook "franchise tag" to mean their best player (Sproules), not a player that is better than other players in the league at their position. Critical miscue.