Blockbuster Trade Advice

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Alright, coming to the Outlaws for a little help sorting this one out. This is a deal that could make or break my year in my local league so I am interested in what others think about it.

Background: 10 team, 4 keeper league. .5 ppr with 6 pts for all TD's. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE (no flex)

Currently I am 3-3 and tied for the division lead. Other team is 4-2 and tied for his division. No teams have separated themselves, all 10 teams are 4-2, 3-3, or 2-4. I am the total points leader through 6 weeks.

My Team: 3-3
QB: RGIII, Foles, Pryor
RB: Foster, Moreno, Martin, Tate, Ellington
WR: AJ Green, D Jackson, Nelson, Blackmon, Nicks, Austin
TE: Graham, Miller
K: Akers
D: Ravens

His Team: 4-2
QB: Brees, Flacco
RB: Lynch, Bernard, Chris Johnson, D Williams, Mendenhal, Turbin
WR: Fitzgerald, Wayne, Moore, Jennings, Roberts, Mike Williams
TE: Witten
K: Carpenter, Walsh
D: Bills

Proposed Trade:
RGIII, Martin, Blackmon for
Brees, Bernard, Jennings

Thoughts:
I have been seeking a top tier QB, this is the only reasonable option I have found. Growing a little tired of getting blown up by other QB's. This obviously upgrades at QB. It also obviously downgrades at WR. I can withstand it as my WR's are sick, but I do like Blackmon. Still, I know I can afford taking that hit. Not wild about Jennings, but likely won't need him either. Kicker here is RB. Martin has sucked and TB is a mess. Bernard has been hot and cold, but looks very promising....but top 5 upside, not sure. We have seen Martin's upside.

Do I pull the trigger to get a top QB or roll with the platoon I have?

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I think you're strong enough to survive what you'd have to give up to get Brees but me personally, I'd stay with what I had. You'll rise to the top even without that elite QB.

gizzil

I love the trade for this year!!! Going forward, though... RG could return to last year's form, so could Martin in the future... Or maybe not... It could help you win this year but dunno about the longterm. I doubt the dude would keep Martin... But maybe he would... you probably got him cheap last year and kept him. Another thing to consider is, you're kinda killin this dude's squad for the year if Martin and RG remain terrible. I kind of like that, It looks like your team could survive either way... but it looks like his is mostly Brees and Lynch. If you could get Chris Johnson thrown in... No he's not the potential keeper or home team ghuy in Bernard, but has a super soft 2nd half schedule, including a sweet week 16 @JAX. I'd probably do it.

jjtweeks

I don't really like this trade either. I like what mud said. I think your strong enough to survive. Even though he is 4-2 and you are 3-3 I would imagine you are in top 3 of league scoring? Your team looks like a contender as is. I don't see much of a future point differential with this trade

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
man, kimda what i expected. split pretty evenly. some added thoughts....not too worried about next year in this deal. we only keep 4 and i will have plenty of ammo to choose from and to trade with. so my focus is mostly just on this year.

starting line up now:
RGIII/Foles, Foster, Moreno, Green, Jackson, Nelson, Graham
Key reserves: Martin, Blackmon, Nicks

Starting line up with deal:
Brees, Foster, Moreno, Green, Nelson, Jackson, Graham
Key reserves: Bernard, Nicks, Jennings

Hurts my depth, but pops brees into my line up each week. Really wish Breed was at home in at least one of the playoff games this year.....

Last edited:

bodey24

Staff member
I wouldn't do the trade either. Having Brees would be nice but after watching RG3 pull down the ball and run against Dallas without any hesitation I think he will be returning to last years form very soon. I think Martin and Bernard are a wash but Martin has the higher upside and Blackmon is miles ahead of Jennings although I think Jennings will be better with Freeman at QB.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Honestly, offer a different Wr and I would do it. Martin may or may not be a long term hit, but Bernard WILL be long term in Cincy. Blackmon is just too sick. I would switch in D.Jackson who will be hurt by Foles/Vick/Rookie Qb issues due to injuries. I agree, Brees would be a great add for you. Jennings is a waste, if he offered something worth while instead of Jennings then you could afford to lose Blackmon.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Thanks everyone. With RGIII looking good yesterday and what I see in his schedule coming up, I think I am going to hold tight for now. i can always revist with him prior to deadline if RGIII is not picking it up.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Yeah, I saw he banged up his shoulder.....I am not going to accept a deal offered before an injury.....I would have to talk to the other owner and see if he was still interested, he would have likely paused anyways with the injury.

I think I am just going to roll with RGIII and the others and see where I land. I lost this week so I am 3-4, and have the new highest scoring team on deck who has Manning against washington and I will be down to Moreno and ??? at RB. Time to trde one of these WR's for a RB, lol.

cctekguy

Staff member
You got Ellington vs Atl to get you through the bye week. Maybe pick up James or Khiri Robinson off WW.

I wouldn't panic just yet.

(psst....might want to pick up Leshoure until after the trade deadline ;))