Bengals Franchise Shayne Graham

Mike

Administrator
But explain to me the risk? It's 2.5 mil

I misread a post I guess. Thought you had said it was 9.88 Million.

If they can take advantage of the tag by locking him up long term, I don't really see a problem with this.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Well, doesn't this just hit the prediction I have been saying all along.

To Housh: Nah, nah, naaaaaahhhhh, nah, Nah, nah, Naaaahhhhh, nah. Heeeeyyyyy, heeeeyyyyy......gooodbbyyyyeeeee!

I don't have an issue using the tag on the kicker. Bengals need to sign some FAs ...OL, LB and RB to fill holes. Locking up the Kicker isn't an issue.

Oh, Franchise tag does not mean he is YOUR BEST or FRANCHISE player. Hasn't meant that in a long time. It has meant an avenue for a FRANCHISE to lock a player up for one year at a certain price.

But buck up all, this all goes away in a couple years when the bargaining agreement expires....along with draft, and a few other items........

Remote Controller

Last I heard......Billy Gramatica is still available......problem solved.

Seriously though, who else did they have in a position of importance that they could Tag??

This was cost effective, and I think that's what drove it.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Well, doesn't this just hit the prediction I have been saying all along.

To Housh: Nah, nah, naaaaaahhhhh, nah, Nah, nah, Naaaahhhhh, nah. Heeeeyyyyy, heeeeyyyyy......gooodbbyyyyeeeee!
yep, you hit that one on the head........:cookie:

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I misread a post I guess. Thought you had said it was 9.88 Million.

If they can take advantage of the tag by locking him up long term, I don't really see a problem with this.
Housh would have been 9.88.....if they tagged a kicker at 9.88 I would have started following cricket....

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Taken from an article on bengals.com; the 2.48 number doesn't seem too bad based on some of the recent kicker FA deals:

The magic number looks to be $3 million per year going off last year's deals. Seattle's Josh Brown leads the way with a $2.84 million average over five years, followed by the Bears' Robbie Gould at $2.7 million over five. The Colts' Vinatieri is at $2.4 million after getting $12 million over five, the Eagles' David Akers at $2.29 million on $16.04 million over seven years, and Atlanta's Jason Elam at $2.25 million on $9 million over four years.
Even if you turn around and tag him again next the number would still be lower than some of these deals.

Also looks like Bironas and Hanson could be tagged before the deadline.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Taken from an article on bengals.com; the 2.48 number doesn't seem too bad based on some of the recent kicker FA deals:

The magic number looks to be $3 million per year going off last year's deals. Seattle's Josh Brown leads the way with a $2.84 million average over five years, followed by the Bears' Robbie Gould at $2.7 million over five. The Colts' Vinatieri is at $2.4 million after getting $12 million over five, the Eagles' David Akers at $2.29 million on $16.04 million over seven years, and Atlanta's Jason Elam at $2.25 million on $9 million over four years.
Even if you turn around and tag him again next the number would still be lower than some of these deals.

Also looks like Bironas and Hanson could be tagged before the deadline.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
That's still $2.48m on a kicker. You mentioned yourself there are other areas where that $$$ is needed. I'm with Mike, sign a rookie kicker off waivers for $200k and use the remaining dough to upgrade elsewhere.