Baltimore's Running game

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
So what does everyone thi of the Ravens running game this season? Where to you value Rice, McClain and McGahee? This discussion started in the rankings thread.

K, I was just wondering. Had McClain in a couple leagues last year and was very happy. Kinda with you Miller on his #s this year. In the last month I've moved Rice up to a 16/20 with the McClain/Maghee news.
I still see this as a RBBC in which I do not feel any of the 3 will have a huge impact. I do like Rice the most of the 3.

Arctic Dawgs

Aah. I'm thinking now that Rice will see around 55/60% of the carries.

1 or 2 months ago I was thinking about 40%

efactor

Coming at you
Aah. I'm thinking now that Rice will see around 55/60% of the carries.

Thinking or hoping?

I am not buying that McClain is now a blocker. Guy was too effective in short yardage and a factor in wearing defenses down. He will get his 1/3 of the carries........

Arctic Dawgs

Blocking or carrying he will be wearing the D down. 55% for Rice, 30% fo McClain still leaves 15% for Maghee/whoever

Sounds like you are in the same park as me
dunno:

efactor

Coming at you
Blocking or carrying he will be wearing the D down. 55% for Rice, 30% fo McClain still leaves 15% for Maghee/whoever

Sounds like you are in the same park as me
dunno:

I guess I still expect McGahee to be strongly in the mix. Not like he is suddenly old and over the hill. I see the 3 headed monster for another year. Don't fix what isn't broken.........

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.............

Last edited by a moderator:

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
They'll all get to split the carries but McGahee feels he has something to prove and I expect him to bounce back in a decent sort of way.

tblGoBlue

And what about the rookie Cedric Peerman? Anyone heard any rumors about him and where he fits into this?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I guess I still expect McGahee to be strongly in the mix. Not like he is suddenly old and over the hill. I see the 3 headed monster for another year. Don't fix what isn't broken.........

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.............
For the record, the coach has come out and said that McClain will spend more time at FB blocking. They think him leading the running game will gain them more ground. I honestly think the three headed RBBC was due to need, not plan. McGahee had issues coming in, and Rice was a rookie, so they started giving some carries to McClain. I believe the idea is to use Rice more as a receiver out of the back field...and get him more time...and slowly ween away McGahee.

efactor

Coming at you
For the record, the coach has come out and said that McClain will spend more time at FB blocking. They think him leading the running game will gain them more ground. I honestly think the three headed RBBC was due to need, not plan. McGahee had issues coming in, and Rice was a rookie, so they started giving some carries to McClain. I believe the idea is to use Rice more as a receiver out of the back field...and get him more time...and slowly ween away McGahee.

Not that I follow the Ravens that closely, but the coach also came out and said that McClain will be an important part of the running game actually running the ball. McGahee won't disappear, so looks like a three way RBCC.......

And Rice could very well end up the main guy in Baltimore. I just don't think it's this year. Again, we will see..........

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Not that I follow the Ravens that closely, but the coach also came out and said that McClain will be an important part of the running game actually running the ball. McGahee won't disappear, so looks like a three way RBCC.......

And Rice could very well end up the main guy in Baltimore. I just don't think it's this year. Again, we will see..........
I actually think McGahee is gone either during the year or next. Just my gut though.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I dont see the reason for making room when you can invite who you want.

McGahee is on his way out of town Id bet.

Arctic Dawgs

Before this I figured Rice for about:
  • 250/275 carries, 1000/1200 yds
  • 45 Rec, 350/450 yds
  • 8/10 TDs
1300/1600 combines yds with 8/10 TDs is a pretty good season. This rescent news only helps. Bal had 540 carries last year not counting Flacco and 83 rec by the RBs

Getting that kind of production out of the 31 RB (88 overall) taken in the challenge

:thrash:

Last edited by a moderator:

joefan71

Pitbulls on Crack
McClain is the only one I have ranked in the top 25. Tied at 16 with Marion Barber. I do like Rice but how do you have an All-Pro RB just blocking.

Arctic Dawgs

I've never broke it down, but what is a high average % of team carries by a FB.

you have the Alstott non typical FBs, Is McClain gonna be that ??

What % of carries did he get (Alstott) when he and Dunn were both healthy ??

joefan71

Pitbulls on Crack
Alstott and Dunn played together from 1997 through 2001. Dunn missed 1 game in 1999 and 3 in 2001 and Alstott missed 1 game in 1997 and 3 in 2000. During that time the split was 54% Dunn and 46% Alstott. During that time they both averaged 3.9 yards per carry. Alstott scored 37 rushing TDs to Dunn's 17; receiving TDs were 7 to 9, respectively. Alstott made the Pro Bowl for all six of those years and 3x All-Pro. Dunn was a Pro Bowler 2x.

I think it will likely be the same with Rice and McClain. Rice will do more receiving out of the backfield and McClain will get the goal line carries.