2019 Qb situation in the NFL and who needs a Qb

Discussion in 'Outlaw NFL Fantasy Football' started by Phicinfan, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Phicinfan

Phicinfan Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything Administrator

Did this last year as part of prep for the draft, but with limited Qb options available in FA, thought it would be good to go back again and look and see who might be drafting Qbs.

AFC - East:
    N. Y. Jets
    - Sam Darnold - Drafted last year, and did fairly well with major lack of receiving help.
    Buffalo - Josh Allen - Drafted last year, and team likes what they see by all report - again needs Wr help
    Miami - Ryan Tannehill - 2 years left on his extension may make him too pricey to cut - but rumors are team may want to wait until 2020 when the Qb draft class is much, much better. Either way Tannehill isn't the answer in Miami long term.
    New England - Tom Brady is set...or is he, some still think he might retire if they win the Super Bowl this year, and if they do, this team is screwed as they are not ready for after Tom. Drafting a Qb this year or next will be crucial.

AFC - North:
    Cincinnati
    - Andy Dalton - he has been solid, but not spectacular, and many feel he will never get them over the playoff hump. He has two years left on his contract and he is pretty pricey, but I don't see Cincinnati moving away from him yet. They may draft for future, but not early.
    Baltimore - Lamar Jackson - he was broken out for play post Joe Flacco's injury - and ran with it.... literally. He seems to be set to start next year.
    Pittsburgh - Ben Roethlisberger - had a great year, 2019 is last year of current contract, but Pittsburgh has said they want to extend him. Can they afford to? No idea. But they drafted past two years for back ups and long term replacement...not sure if they see it that way. But for this year Ben is it.
    Cleveland - Baker Mayfield - kid filled in greatly, and the team improved. He seems to be the long term answer here.

AFC - South:
    Indianapolis
    - Andrew Luck - is back, and they will ride him to success.
    Tennessee - Marcus Mariota - Last year of his rookie deal - actually the option year with a $20 million cap hit - has he proven he is it? Or do they look elsewhere?
    Houston - Deshaun Watson - came back strong in second half of season, showing he was back to full go after rehabbing his knee injury.
    Jacksonville - Blake Bortles - they signed him to an extension last year, and probably greatly regret it as he regressed majorly this year. He has a cap hit of $21 million this year, but is only $5 million dead space if cut post 2019. So do they bring in a replacement?

AFC - West:
    Kansas City
    - Patrick Mahomes - drafted him two years ago, he is the man in KC
    Los Angeles Chargers - Philip Rivers - He is the man for as long as he plays, but similar to Brady, how much longer can he last? This is the last year of his current deal as well.
    Denver - Case Keenum - signed a 2 year deal, is a $21 million cap hit this year, but would leave a $10 million in dead money if let go. Still they need a long term solution here.
    Las Vegas/Oakland/LA/..... - Derek Carr - He wasn't great, but he wasn't terrible either, learning a whole new offensive system and losing his top WR in trade with Dallas. All in all, its a matter of if Chucky wants to keep him or not. Signed a new deal 2 years ago, and is not a huge hit to walk away from. Dead money on cap would be $7.5 million.

NFC - East:
    Dallas
    - Dak Prescott - looks to have solidified his role.
    Philadelphia - Carson Wentz - in his 2nd year he had more injury issues, and rumors flying some team members prefer Nick Foles - but Carson is the man in Philly.
    Washington - Alex Smith - this is a situation to watch, he had the horrible break, and then rumors flew he had infection issues as well, some question whether he can play again or not. He signed a 5 year extension when the Redskins got him, so unless he retires, they can't spend too much on Qb.
    N.Y. Giants - Eli Manning - Was pretty bad this year, but not terrible - but he is on last year of deal. Dead money if cut would be $6.2 million. They need Qb of the future here.

NFC - North:
    Chicago
    - Mitch Trubisky - 2nd year Qb played pretty well
    Green Bay - Aaron Rodgers - he is the man, and got HC fired
    Minnesota - Kirk Cousins - signed big FA deal last year, will be the man again this year
    Detroit - Matt Stafford - signed through 2022 - is not the biggest issue with this team - need better OL to keep him upright.

NFC - South:
    New Orleans
    - Drew Brees - he is the man again next year - Contract expires end of the 2019 year, AND..... rumors are flying Sean Payton may be the target of Dallas this year....... Time to draft new Qb?
    Carolina - Cam Newton - he will be the man, IF he can play - but some wonder if his shoulder is not another Andrew Luck issue. Time will tell.
    Atlanta - Matt Ryan - he is the dude here
    Tampa Bay - Jameis Winston - Option year for Winston with a $20 million price tag for the option. New HC, new OC , one wonders if Tampa will stay as is, or move on.

NFC - West:
    Los Angeles Rams
    - Jared Goff - is set to keep going
    San Francisco - Jimmy Garoppolo - is set to come back and take over from injury
    Arizona - Josh Rosen - Rookie Qb took over last year, is he the man with new HC? Or do they take the high first round pick and go Qb again?
    Seattle - Russell Wilson - is still on the job, and smoking hot.

Qbs expected to be drafted:
    1) Dwayne Haskins - Ohio State - one year starter
    2) Kyler Murray - Oklahoma - one year starter - signed to play baseball
    3) Daniel Jones - Duke - some feel he could go last first round
    4) Drew Lock - Missouri - late first round, most likely round 2 or 3.

Top Qb FAs:
    1) Joe Flacco - rumors are he is on the way out of Baltimore
    2) Nick Foles - I don't think Philly can afford to keep him with their cap issues
    3) Teddy Bridgewater - he signed a one year deal with N.O. but he might still get looked at as a starter
    4) Tyrod Taylor - didn't make it work in Cleveland...not sure he isn't back up material
    5) Ryan Fitzpatrick - he seems to be the solid vet back up Qb, not a starter

Others in mention - Brock Osweiler, Trevor Siemian, Josh McCown - again all back ups.

So, not a great draft for Qbs, and not alot of depth for FA - I wonder if someone makes a move to trade with Las Vegas/Oakland/LA to get Carr if they don't want to keep him?

mudloggerone likes this.
  2. Arctic Dawgs

Arctic Dawgs Well-Known Member

cutting or trading Foles would result in a $1.8mil cap hit and they are already almost $15mil over the cap which would save them $20mil cap space (give them about $5.5 cap space) I done or designated after June 1 they would get another $1.2mil in room. They have a projected $45mil in space for 2020. He has to go. Howie has some work to do

cutting or trading Flacco would result in a $16mil cap hit and they only have $30mil in space. After June 1 would get them $8mil of that back and they have a projected $97mil in space for 2020

3. Phicinfan

Lets update some, with latest news...

AFC - East:
    N. Y. Jets
    - Sam Darnold
    Buffalo - Josh Allen
    Miami
    - Ryan Tannehill - Moving this to RED as I keep hearing the team is planning to walk away from Tannehill this year. Will need FA or Drafted Qb or both.
    New England - Tom Brady - keeping this ORANGE as I think he plays at least this year, but they need to target the future

AFC - North:
    Cincinnati
    - Andy Dalton
    Baltimore
    - Lamar Jackson
    Pittsburgh - Ben Roethlisberger - had a great year, 2019 is last year of current contract,Pittsburgh is pushing to get an extension - and he seems to have won the war vs. Antonio Brown. Moving this to GREEN
    Cleveland
    - Baker Mayfield

AFC - South:
    Indianapolis
    - Andrew Luck
    Tennessee - Marcus Mariota - Last year of his rookie deal - actually the option year with a $20 million cap hit - by all reports they plan to keep him this year. Looking to add some tools for him. - moving to GREEN
    Houston
    - Deshaun Watson
    Jacksonville - Blake Bortles - they signed him to an extension last year, and probably greatly regret it as he regressed majorly this year. He has a cap hit of $21 million this year, but is only $5 million dead space if cut post 2019. This looks like a must happen. I have seen talk of moving up in draft to draft a Qb, I have seen trade rumors with Philly for Foles or Eli from Giants - I have also seen some talk of pushing to sign Flacco or Bridgewater.

AFC - West:
    Kansas City
    - Patrick Mahomes
    Los Angeles Chargers - Philip Rivers - He is the man for as long as he plays, but similar to Brady, how much longer can he last? This is the last year of his current deal as well. - Leaving this as ORANGE as he is in last year, and have not heard of talks of extending. Need to draft for future.
    Denver - Case Keenum - signed a 2 year deal, is a $21 million cap hit this year - I think he is on short timings here. I have seen rumors of looking to replace him with a vet FA(Flacco, Foles, Bridgewater) and drafting for future.
    Las Vegas/Oakland/LA/..... - Derek Carr - He wasn't great, but he wasn't terrible either, learning a whole new offensive system and losing his top WR in trade with Dallas. All in all, its a matter of if Chucky wants to keep him or not. Signed a new deal 2 years ago, and is not a huge hit to walk away from. Dead money on cap would be $7.5 million. - Have to think this is ORANGE now. I keep hearing they love him, but I keep hearing rumors of dealing him to Qb hungry team and drafting Qb. OR going different direction. I honestly don't know what to think here.

NFC - East:
    Dallas
    - Dak Prescott
    Philadelphia
    - Carson Wentz - its a given Wentz is the future, the question is do Philly tag Foles to get trade value or let him walk in FA - he has already turned down the mutual option year.
    Washington - Alex Smith - Okay - some reports have team expecting him back, some have him out for year due to bone injury and infections. Not sure what to think so will keep as ORANGE for now.
    N.Y. Giants - Eli Manning - Pretty much hearing they are done with Eli. Only time will tell.

NFC - North:
    Chicago
    - Mitch Trubisky
    Green Bay - Aaron Rodgers
    Minnesota - Kirk Cousins
    Detroit
    - Matt Stafford

NFC - South:
    New Orleans
    - Drew Brees - he is the man again next year - Contract expires end of the 2019 year. Big $$ amount, but doubt they walk away - do they need the next QB?
    Carolina - Cam Newton - Had another shoulder surgery, that supposedly went well. So he should be good to go by most reports - moving to GREEN
    Atlanta
    - Matt Ryan
    Tampa Bay
    - Jameis Winston - Option year for Winston with a $20 million price tag for the option. By all reports I hear he will be the guy this year. - going GREEN

NFC - West:
    Los Angeles Rams
    - Jared Goff
    San Francisco
    - Jimmy Garoppolo
    Arizona - Josh Rosen - Leaving as is here - by all reports new HC and GM are locked in, and Fitz will be back to play. Still, they are drafting #1.
    Seattle - Russell Wilson

2) Kyler Murray - Oklahoma - one year starter - has committed to NFL - yeah lets see what happens if he gets drafted out of the first round or late first round.
    3) Daniel Jones - Duke - some feel he could go last first round - has dropped some due to poor showing at Senior bowl.

Top Qb FAs:
    1) Joe Flacco - rumors are he is on the way out of Baltimore
    2) Nick Foles - He has rejected the option year and paid $2 million back. Team could potentially tag him, but not sure they have cap room to do so.
    3) Teddy Bridgewater
    4) Tyrod Taylor
    5) Ryan Fitzpatrick

Others in mention - Brock Osweiler, Trevor Siemian, Josh McCown - again all back ups.

mudloggerone and JScott like this.
  4. Phicinfan

and....just like that...

AFC - East:
    N. Y. Jets
    - Sam Darnold
    Buffalo
    - Josh Allen
    Miami
    - Ryan Tannehill - Moving this to RED as I keep hearing the team is planning to walk away from Tannehill this year. Will need FA or Drafted Qb or both.
    New England - Tom Brady - keeping this ORANGE as I think he plays at least this year, but they need to target the future

AFC - North:
    Cincinnati
    - Andy Dalton
    Baltimore
    - Lamar Jackson
    Pittsburgh - Ben Roethlisberger - had a great year, 2019 is last year of current contract,Pittsburgh is pushing to get an extension - and he seems to have won the war vs. Antonio Brown. Moving this to GREEN
    Cleveland
    - Baker Mayfield

AFC - South:
    Indianapolis
    - Andrew Luck
    Tennessee - Marcus Mariota - Last year of his rookie deal - actually the option year with a $20 million cap hit - by all reports they plan to keep him this year. Looking to add some tools for him. - moving to GREEN
    Houston
    - Deshaun Watson
    Jacksonville
    - Blake Bortles - they signed him to an extension last year, and probably greatly regret it as he regressed majorly this year. He has a cap hit of $21 million this year, but is only $5 million dead space if cut post 2019. This looks like a must happen. I have seen talk of moving up in draft to draft a Qb, I have seen trade rumors with Philly for Foles or Eli from Giants - I have also seen some talk of pushing to sign Flacco or Bridgewater.

AFC - West:
    Kansas City
    - Patrick Mahomes
    Los Angeles Chargers
    - Philip Rivers - He is the man for as long as he plays, but similar to Brady, how much longer can he last? This is the last year of his current deal as well. - Leaving this as ORANGE as he is in last year, and have not heard of talks of extending. Need to draft for future.
    Denver - Case Keenum - Per reports Denver has agreed to a trade with Baltimore for Flacco( mid round pick per rumors). Assuming this goes down, they will be better off than with Keenum.
    Las Vegas/Oakland/LA/..... - Derek Carr - He wasn't great, but he wasn't terrible either, learning a whole new offensive system and losing his top WR in trade with Dallas. All in all, its a matter of if Chucky wants to keep him or not. Signed a new deal 2 years ago, and is not a huge hit to walk away from. Dead money on cap would be $7.5 million. - Have to think this is ORANGE now. I keep hearing they love him, but I keep hearing rumors of dealing him to Qb hungry team and drafting Qb. OR going different direction. I honestly don't know what to think here.

NFC - East:
    Dallas
    - Dak Prescott
    Philadelphia
    - Carson Wentz - its a given Wentz is the future, the question is do Philly tag Foles to get trade value or let him walk in FA - he has already turned down the mutual option year.
    Washington - Alex Smith - Okay - some reports have team expecting him back, some have him out for year due to bone injury and infections. Not sure what to think so will keep as ORANGE for now.
    N.Y. Giants - Eli Manning - Pretty much hearing they are done with Eli. Only time will tell.

NFC - North:
    Chicago
    - Mitch Trubisky
    Green Bay
    - Aaron Rodgers
    Minnesota
    - Kirk Cousins
    Detroit
    - Matt Stafford

NFC - South:
    New Orleans
    - Drew Brees - he is the man again next year - Contract expires end of the 2019 year. Big $$ amount, but doubt they walk away - do they need the next QB?
    Carolina - Cam Newton - Had another shoulder surgery, that supposedly went well. So he should be good to go by most reports - moving to GREEN
    Atlanta
    - Matt Ryan
    Tampa Bay
    - Jameis Winston - Option year for Winston with a $20 million price tag for the option. By all reports I hear he will be the guy this year. - going GREEN

NFC - West:
    Los Angeles Rams
    - Jared Goff
    San Francisco
    - Jimmy Garoppolo
    Arizona - Josh Rosen - Leaving as is here - by all reports new HC and GM are locked in, and Fitz will be back to play. Still, they are drafting #1.
    Seattle - Russell Wilson

2) Kyler Murray - Oklahoma - one year starter - has committed to NFL - yeah lets see what happens if he gets drafted out of the first round or late first round.
    3) Daniel Jones - Duke - some feel he could go last first round - has dropped some due to poor showing at Senior bowl.

Top Qb FAs:
    1) Nick Foles - He has rejected the option year and paid $2 million back. Team could potentially tag him, but not sure they have cap room to do so.
    2) Teddy Bridgewater
    3) Case Keenum - assuming Denver lets him go post Flacco trade
    4) Tyrod Taylor
    5) Ryan Fitzpatrick

Others in mention - Brock Osweiler, Trevor Siemian, Josh McCown - again all back ups.[/QUOTE]

cctekguy likes this.