2/1/09 - Super Bowl XLIII - Arizona Cardinals vs Pittsburgh Steelers

Coachnorm

Super Bowl XLIII/Arizona Cardinals Vs Pittsburgh Steelers : Clash of Titans

Well Sports Outlaw fans, the fantasy season is over but at Sports Outlaws the NFL season roars on. The Playoffs have been exciting and everyone here has caught the Playoff fever. If you don't believe me just read through the AFC and NFC Championship game threads that are still pinned at the top of the NFL forum. Stop by during the next two weeks and join the Super Bowl excitement! You will find injury info, coaching changes you name it we can't stop talking about the NFL and other sports too. We will be vbetting on the Super Bowl, college Basket Ball, you name it. We have a contest to win vbucks from our King of The Vbets, Da_Bomb. This contest is unique in that you can step in at anytime and string some correct predictions in a row and take Da_Bombs vbucks from him during the offseason!

The end of the season was one of the most exciting I can remember. Teams fought until the last weekend to make their unlikely exit or unlikely entrance to the Playoffs. It didn't get more exciting than that, or so I thought. The Playoffs have been wild and wacky, a roller coaster ride of new faces and new teams. We have had two Rookie QBs lead there teams into the playoffs. We had teams that came from the very bowels of despair the year before and make the Playoff cut. We had teams we have come to think of as Playoff teams come up just short at the last week. The Playoffs unfolded in some great games, almost every game was hotly contested and totally exciting. There was a couple of Playoff blowouts but those were exciting games because it was the underdogs that did the asskicking in those games. We were witness to some of the most exciting playoff action I can remember and I have enjoyed the ride totally.

But This is Super Bowl Time ! ! !

It will truly be a Clash of Titans when Arizona Cardinals meet the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl XLIII. That sounds vaugly familiar, but I like it! This Super Bowl is a great matchup of an Offensive Titan and a Defensive Titan. It is a matchup that fans should readily embrace as it will put opposing forces in a direct head to head battle of teams that took different styles to get to the same goal, The Super Bowl.

The Cardinals D going into this year had a lot of talent and played well in a finesse sort of style. Keeping the big plays down while letting the offense handle all the major chores. Presto, The Playoffs come around and suddenly they have done a 180 degree shift. This Playoff Cardinals D has become a smash mouth aggressive Defense that has been taking the game right to their opponents and pushing them constantly into mistake after mistake. Alright, who are these guys and what have they done with the other Cardinals D? They have become a pressing powerful D right before our eyes, don't take your eyes off of these guys or you will lose the ball !

The Steeler Defense is the best Defense in football today, Period! If you don't believe it they just proved it by beating the second best Defensive team for the third time this year in the AFC Championship Game. The Steeler Defense will not only smother you they will also beat you to a pulp in the process of of just making your O look bad. It is said that Defenses win Championships, The Steelers Defense just proved that Defenses win AFC Championships. Super Bowl anyone?

This will be a great game to watch. The Cardinals D has become an intense unit and their rushing attack has appeared out of nowhere to become a playoff force to be respected and game planned for, whoda thunk it? Then you have Kurt Warner who was thought to be heading over the hill, so to speak. Yet Warner apparently has stepped into a Wayback machine and came out playing as good as his last Super Bowl appearance. Add to that we have Warner throwing to Superman himself in Larry Fitzgerald, how spectacular is that? Fitz has been on fire during these Playoffs making incredible catches every time you turn around. Fitz has set a new playoff record for yardage with 419 yards and has a whole Super Bowl Game to go! Every catch will be a new playoff record. That will be worth the price of admission alone! While Kurt is the king of Offense The Steelers have in QB Ben Rothlisberger the King Of the Comebacks. Ben Has been beat up, injured but if he is on the field he is double tough and always dangerous. His last couple of games he has had an amazing ability to see plays develop as he is scrambling around and make the connection in stride. Willie Parker is healthy and fast again. If you want something interesting to watch keep an eye on the Steeler WRs when they don’t have the ball. They all block well downfield and are constantly springing other players for big gains. This Steeler O is a machine that can explode for a big play at any moment of the game.

Don’t you dare miss this Super Bowl, for that matter, you should join us in this Super Bowl Game thread for the fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

MLBrandow

No one thinks that Whiz's having run that Steelers' Offense for the last three years and cultivating Ben Roethlisberger puts the 'Zona D at a huge advantage in this game?

Super Bowl XXXVII anyone??

Coachnorm

No one thinks that Whiz's having run that Steelers' Offense for the last three years and cultivating Ben Roethlisberger puts the 'Zona D at a huge advantage in this game?

Super Bowl XXXVII anyone??

Former Steeler Super Bowl coaches are coaching the Cards this time. Not enough has been made of this aspect yet.

The Steelers have changed their offense since Whisenhunt left to become the Cardinals' head coach before the 2007 season. They run more one-back personnel groups than they did in the past. They trust quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to make more adjustments.

Despite all that, Whisenhunt has an advantage in this matchup because he knows better than most what makes Roethlisberger uncomfortable in the pocket. Whisenhunt must take what he knows into the Cardinals' defensive meeting rooms to help defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast put together a sound plan. While this is an advantage that most Steeler foes don't have Big Ben has evolved a lot becoming on of the best Comeback QBs in the Business

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qnr51EZG8o]YouTube - American Idol Super Bowl Commercial 2008 Super Bowl 42 Ad[/ame]

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
The Keys to Victory: Steelers

All Pittsburgh needs to do is show up. That statement is both tongue-in-cheek and more true than anyone wants to admit. By "show up" I mean the Steelers need to excel at three things they are known for in order to win.

First they must bring pressure up the middle and get at Kurt Warner like starved dogs going after the last steak. There are three universal laws of life: Death comes for us all, Reality TV sucks, and Pittsburgh will blitz. The important nuance of the final point is where they blitz from. We learned from the Philly-Cardinals game that if you blitz Warner from the sides he will check down or lob one to the cheerleaders rather than take a sack or big hit. BUT, we have years of history on Warner that tells us if you bring the heat to his grill he is prone to make bad decisions. If he turns the ball over this game swings widely in favor of the Steelers.

The second part of the Steelers showing up is tied to the first. After creating punting situations the Steelers special teams must put on a show. If Santonio Holmes can flip the field consistently or score on punt returns the Steelers will win by a large margin.

The third point is also tied to the first; the Steelers must run the ball better than they have all year. Willie Parker must have a game similar to what he had against San Diego. Him running the ball well and scoring on big runs will be the big keys to the Steeler offense getting going. Let us address reality in that this game will not be a shut out. So the Steelers passing and running game both must be humming to keep a lead.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY

First they must bring pressure up the middle and get at Kurt Warner like starved dogs going after the last steak. There are three universal laws of life: Death comes for us all, Reality TV sucks, and Pittsburgh will blitz. The important nuance of the final point is where they blitz from. We learned from the Philly-Cardinals game that if you blitz Warner from the sides he will check down or lob one to the cheerleaders rather than take a sack or big hit. BUT, we have years of history on Warner that tells us if you bring the heat to his grill he is prone to make bad decisions. If he turns the ball over this game swings widely in favor of the Steelers.

So you think you know more than Jim Johnson. Okayyy :D

Also you have lots of ifs in there, but what game doesn't. Cards have faced a comparable defense and considerably better offenses than Pitt, so I'd say worry about your own melon-headed QB. All I'll worry about is the Card defense holding their shit together for the full sixty.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
So you think you know more than Jim Johnson. Okayyy :D

:eek:bvious:

Also you have lots of ifs in there, but what game doesn't. Cards have faced a comparable defense and considerably better offenses than Pitt, so I'd say worry about your own melon-headed QB. All I'll worry about is the Card defense holding their shit together for the full sixty.

The Cards haven't faced a defense like the Steelers because there is no defense on par with the level they are playing at this playoff season. Not my opinion but fact. Don't worry I'll take my :homer: hat off in a few and provide you all the enlightenment on how the Cards could beat the Steelers. :banana:

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
The Keys to Success: Arizona

The Cardinals are underdogs for a reason and need three things to fall into place for them in order to shock the known world and win the Super Bowl.

First and foremost is keeping Kurt Warner upright and clean. A wall must be constructed from guard to guard that prevents pressure from coming up the middle. Warner showed against the Eagles that he will dissect defensive secondaries when given time to make progressions. The Eagles were able to get pressure from the edges and Warner turned those plays into yards or just threw it away to avoid the turnover. But we have years of history that show Warner will make bad decisions with the football when he gets whacked in the grill early and often. His mobility is that of a spruce tree so the pressure has to come from blitzing up the middle and stunting defensive linemen. If the o line can keep the blitzes from coming up the middle the Cardinals will be able to score often as no secondary can hang with Fitzgerald and Boldin.

Second is the Cardinal secondary has to play up and hard on Santonio Holmes and Hines Ward. If Ward is able to catch 6-10 balls and Santonio can continue to make big plays this game will be out of reach by halftime. Out-physicaling the Steelers wideouts will be crucial.

Third is for the Cardinals to commit to run the ball. Statistics show the Cardinals will win more often than not when they rush the ball for over 100 yards. Hightower and James have to get going against a defense that doesn’t let backs roll on them too often so the challenge for them is to keep hammering away and take advantage from holes opened up by a frenzied blitz scheme. The other reason this is key is that a team who can run against the Steelers will keep Troy Polamalu close to the line of scrimmage and not playing center field. He showed last week that he is more than a big tackle waiting to happen. The Cardinals would do well to keep his statistics tackle heavy and interception light.

Those are the keys to victory against the Steelers. None are easy but all must be met in order to get the job done.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing

57-2006-09-06-steelers-topper.jpg

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
Speaking of #86, he is a go despite a sprained knee:

Wide receiver Hines Ward said today that if the Super Bowl were held this Sunday, he would play.
That he has an extra week to get his sprained right knee ready for the Arizona Cardinals is a bonus.
"Things feel good," Ward said. "The MRI came out pretty good; where I sprained it at was in a good place and it's a great place to heal. I have a whole week off and we'll see what happens next week."
Asked though if the game were to be played this Sunday, Ward said, "I would play."
The MCL in Ward's right knee was sprained in the first quarter of last Sunday's AFC championship game at Heinz Field.

linkage

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
Big Ben is among elite company:

1) First quarterback to win his first 13 starts
2) Youngest to win a Super Bowl
3) Fastest to 50 victories

If the Steelers win the coming Super Bowl Big Ben will be the second quarterback to win his second Super Bowl by age 26 joining Tom Brady. Just food for thought among the haters.