1/11/09 - San Diego Chargers @ Pittsburgh Steelers

Coachnorm

San Diego Chargers @ Pittsburgh Steelers

Week 5, 2005: Steelers 24, Chargers 22
Pittsburgh's defense limited the Chargers to 66 yards on the ground and Jeff Reed's 40-yard game-winning field goal with six seconds remaining in the game capped a 10-point fourth quarter rally.

Week 5, 2006: Chargers 23, Steelers 13
The Chargers shut out the Steelers in the second half and handed Pittsburgh its third straight loss. Chargers QB Philip Rivers threw for 242 yards and two touchdowns while Nate Kaeding nailed field goals of 28, 33 and 22 yards in the second half.

Week 11, 2008: Steelers 11, Chargers 10
In the swirling snow at Heinz Field, Willie Parker rushed for 115 yards and Jeff Reed hit three field goals, including the game-winner with 11 seconds left, to seal the win for Pittsburgh. The 11-10 final score was the first in NFL history.

This matchup is a replay of an earlier game between these two teams. The earlier matchup was a bad weather affair held in a snowstorm. The results were a low scoring squeaker won by the Steelers. While it is early for a weather forecast it could be very cold and snow again. The Steelers is another team that really benifitted from having a week off. Big Ben suffered a mild concussion in the last game and the week off should have been just what the doctor ordered. With a mild concussion many QBs can be medically cleared to play the nest week but in most cases it results in a poor performance. LT sounds like he may not get any better than he is. Sproles on the other hand was totally exhausted after his performance last week but healthy. Rivers continues to be a top Fantasy QB that has virtual fantasy invisable Wrs.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
Injury questions abound for Big Ben, Tomlinson, and Gates. Which team is healthy enough to win?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I just feel a let down coming here. SD plays the huge game vs. Denver to get in, then pulls out the OT win in first game. But they lose LT2 and probably Jackson as well.............

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
I just feel a let down coming here. SD plays the huge game vs. Denver to get in, then pulls out the OT win in first game. But they lose LT2 and probably Jackson as well.............

If Malcolm Floyd is cleared, that will be a boost to San Diego. Also neutralizing Pitt's blitz with hot passes and screens to Sproles will help. I believe, if the weather isn't horrible, the Chargers will keep this game as close as they have so many others. Winning will depend on who has the fewest turnovers.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
You know how we do:

55-meast29.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
Injury questions abound for Big Ben, Tomlinson, and Gates. Which team is healthy enough to win?

LT2's health is big. According to Mort he's nowhere near ready to suit up against the Steelers. This will be Sproles' game. There will be no doubt the defense will be bearing down on Rivers to flush him or bury him. That is the way to beat the Chargers. If Rivers gets going and is allowed to be a statue in the pocket he can pick defenses apart. But if he is forced to move his stats plummet. Sproles has been able to produce in lieu of LT2 so his involvement shouldn't be considered a downgrade. I can't off the top of my head think of who the Steelers have to cover him.

Ben is straight. It is a non-story at this point.

This should be a close game for sure.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
with ben's history, his injury is not a non story until he plays a quarter and shows it is.

Coachnorm

As Saturday’s Chargers-Steelers matchup nears, it appears LaDainian Tomlinson’s groin injury will not allow him to play. San Diego’s RB missed Friday’s practice and hasn’t been able to participate all week. The Chargers listed Tomlinson as doubtful for the divisional-round game in Pittsburgh.

Pro Bowl TE Antonio Gates also hasn’t practiced this week, but he’s listed as questionable with an ankle/Achilles injury. K Nate Kaeding (groin) and LB Brandon Siler (foot) are probable.

QB Ben Roethlisberger was the only player the Steelers listed on their injury report. Roethlisberger practiced for a third straight day Friday and is listed as probable coming off the concussion he suffered in the regular-season finale.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Betting the same side as Bomb this weekend scares me.....but going on Pitt regardless.

gmrcharity

Public is 50-50 on this game but the line continues to rise. Public 1-6 so far in the playoffs which is even better then the 80% failure rate I shared at the beginning of the playoffs.

Steelers -6.5 for 6 dimes