The Kyler Murray Effect

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Okay, its draft season, and the lies and out and out blatent manuevering is happening all over the NFL.

So, lets address the Kyler Murray effect.

He signs to play baseball, and suddenly agrees to get drafted in the NFL. And the whole draft gets turned upside down.
Why? Well some feel he is an incredible talent, I happen to like two other Qbs over him, but I am no NFL expert. I think he is too small and his running will get him killed ala Tyrod Taylor. Now, Murray is a much better passer than Taylor...but the build is about the same.

So what happens......
Teams per my previous post in the Qb thread that need Qbs in order of need:
Miami
Giants
Arizona
Jacksonville
Washington
New England
Chargers
and throwing in Tennessee and Denver.

so lets look at scenarios....
Arizona DOES take Murray at #1
There are at best 4 1st round Qbs in this draft - actually I think 3 but again, I am no expert.
Murray, Haskins, Lock and maybe D. Jones.
So Murray is now off the board.
Miami has GOT to be worried here. They HAVE to get a Qb, and Murray is gone, and they now have in front of them - Giants, Oakland, Jaguars, Broncos and Bengals
Oakland, Bengals and Broncos have been rumored to be thinking of going Qb early. OF those three Denver is the only one I can see going Qb this early...
Jaguars won't bite this early having spent a ton on Foles.
Giants may be the ONLY real concern here, and I am not sold on that. I think they really covet a defensive player at #6.
So do they stand pat, or move up? I think they wait to see what happens at #4 and #6. If Oakland or Giants take a Qb, THEN they look to make a move. The real fun here is if Oakland makes a move at #4...
Cause now you have Rosen and Carr as potential trade targets........

I however, don't see either team going Qb. Just a gut feeling. So Miami can stand pat, and hope beyond hope that Bengals or Denver doesn't do something screwy. If they do look for Lock to go here or Haskins.

If Arizona does NOT take Murray Option 1:
Arizona trades out and down. So....who has the ability to make that move to #1? Give you three guesses, and they are moving to Las Vegas very soon. Yep, Oakland. They to me are the ONLY team with trade capital enough to make Arizona move down, and one of those picks HAS to be the #4.
So lets take a look here. Oakland sends #4 and #27 plus a pick next year to Arizona for the #1 and take Murray. Wow, Chucky in his maddest move does the unthinkable, or is it? You get Qb of the future before your move, you get trade capital from Carr, as you can't keep both..... I don't think Carr could take the heat. Miami would LOVE to get Carr I bet.
OR
Oakland did NOT trade up for Murray....... but instead for Bosa! This makes sense..as they have to find the replacement for Mack, and Bosa could damn well be it.

If Arizona does NOT take Murray Option 2:
They go Bosa, which by the way is NOT a bad option. They are now married to Rosen.
San Fran I think easily pivots to go either Williams at DT or Allen or White to fix that Def.
Jets NOW get the best news EVER!!! They will find trade partners who will trade up to take Murray. Who?
No idea, Giants won't be, as they can now sit at 6 and 17 and get who they want by being patient. So does Miami move up to get in front of NY Giants? Or do they wait to see what Giants do...and make a move if Giants take a Qb. What does Oakland do if Bosa, Williams and Allen are off the board?

These to 6-7 picks will drive this whole draft. And what Arizona does will drive it more.

Phicinfan

Administrator
So what did the Kyler Murray effect have?
Well, I think it forced NY Giants to move to get Jones way too early. Just my opinion, but they felt others liked him. In retrospect, the only other Qb taken was Haskins in Washington, that I doubt would have taken Jones if they had the choice.

So NY, glad you have Jones and Dexter Lawrence? OR would you rather have had Josh Allen or Ed Oliver and Jones? Loser is NY here.

As for the other teams......
Evidently most don't feel Drew Lock is the real deal. Well, IMO, someone is going to get a heck of a QB at a bargain price of 2nd round pick.... but lose out on the 5th year option. 2nd round should be fun to watch.

Kudo's by the way for Washington. They stuck to their guns, and held at their pick and got their Qb. Nice job not letting Owner or GM to go crazy. I think this means Alex Smith is either done, or will be released. I also wonder if they keep both Colt McCoy and Case Keenum.

Arizona still has Rosen, and they are being adamant they won't give him away. So I will predict here - if they don't get a 2nd round pick tonight...they hold him til someone panic's with an injury in camp.

cctekguy

Staff member
Arizona still has Rosen, and they are being adamant they won't give him away. So I will predict here - if they don't get a 2nd round pick tonight...they hold him til someone panic's with an injury in camp.

Are you saying that Murray should be the opening day starter?...On a team that ranked 29th in sacks allowed.

Sounds like the sequel to the RGIII story.

For Rosen's sake, I hope they do trade him. For Murray's sake, they better keep Rosen (or get a Fitz type) to come in and man the ship until Murray has acclimated to the speed of the NFL.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Are you saying that Murray should be the opening day starter?...On a team that ranked 29th in sacks allowed.

Sounds like the sequel to the RGIII story.

For Rosen's sake, I hope they do trade him. For Murray's sake, they better keep Rosen (or get a Fitz type) to come in and man the ship until Murray has acclimated to the speed of the NFL.
I am saying Kyler Murray WILL be the starter for Arizona - you don't draft him #1 and state he runs your system.
As for his health, that is why he was drafted he can hopefully save his own life.

efactor

Coming at you
Miami played the Rosen scenario perfectly. Got a top 10 pick just last year for a late 2nd and a 5th rounder. Very nicely done.

duk

Very excited to see how Murray transitions to the NFL. Very impressed with the entire Cardinals draft. Seems like they are a couple of key OL FA signings to putting together a dynamic offensive attack.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Very excited to see how Murray transitions to the NFL. Very impressed with the entire Cardinals draft. Seems like they are a couple of key OL FA signings to putting together a dynamic offensive attack.
I am not quite there yet. This team is very, very young on offense. Guess is this year will be growing pains, with wins due to super human talent. Defense has holes as does the o-line. A real TE would help also. Murray will have to run his butt off to survive this year

duk

Big question to me is will Kyler Murray make an impact in FF? The guy has been a superstar since he was 15 years old winning 5A Texas state championships. He gave Alabama all they could handle and then some. Of course, so did Johnny Manziel. To me, he's a smaller version of Deshaun Watson, and Watson while explosive, has struggled to stay healthy. Murray is elusive and quick as they come, but I say the learning curve is steep for him, and NFL year 1 wiil be more failure than success with a high probability of injury. But those 3 home games Week 13-15 might be tasty come FF playoff time, when he's avg 200-yard rushing a game running for his life.