NFL Questions friday

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I have wanted to do this for a while, so thought I would kick it off now, since we have quite a few games under out belt, and we have a good solid idea of what teams really are.

So....lets converse :D

Topic #1 - Qbs in the NFL
1) Is the Giants problem really Eli? - They spent some money to fix o-line, and then got smart and dumped flowers at ROT. Still, the o-line isn't great, but is that the only issue? I don't think so. I wonder if in the long run Giants don't regret decision to take Barkley. Without a doubt he is exactly what they hoped, and if he can stay healthy he will help this team immensely. But passing on Darnold or Rosen and maybe even Allen may be huge mistake. The Qb crew coming out this year in the draft is not nearly as good, and I don't think Eli is long for Giants land. In retrospect, I still think it was a mistake to re-sign OBJ, the cost is too high, and it will force the to go with rookie Qb next year to make cap. But lets talk Eli...., he just looks scared, not keeping both feet down, and making very bad decisions. I wonder if at some point soon, we don't see Lauletta or Davis to see what they have. Give them some credit, if they do go young, the tools that young Qb has will be very solid.

2) Kase Keenum - Well, this is exactly what I expected. I know this is not a popular opinion, but Denver got stuck with a one year wonder and we are back to the Keenum Houston and Los Angeles Rams had. Was he successful only due to the OC he had in Minny? Maybe, but if true why is Eli doing what he has? Or was it due to the incredible Wrs that Minny has...yeah I think that is the case. Still, don't be shocked if in a few more weeks we see Mr. Kelly in at Qb in Denver.

3) Rookies - Like it or not, the transition is mostly in place for the top Qbs drafted last draft. Sam Darnold has been relatively solid, but he definitely gives the Jets hope they have a franchise Qb. He has had his ups and downs, but you have to expect that with a rookie. Think what this kid could be if they had real Wr talent in NY. Next we have B. Mayfield making Cleveland all giddy. He too has had his ups and downs, but can there be any argument that his enthusiasm and talent has made Cleveland better? That team is SOOOO young, and they still need some real talent at Wr, but Landry and Njoku and others are making plays. Josh Allen is next, and to his defense, as bad as Buffalo's line is, and the total lack of talent at Wr and Te, he still has shown promise. But he has also shown he has the most to learn and improve on. Buffalo I don't think can really guage his talent, until they get him some real tools to work with. Josh Rosen may be in the same boat. Fitzgerald does not look like Fitz, and his injuries and age may have caught up to him, but bad o-line play isn't helping, as David Johnson can attest to. Love what Kirk has shown, but they need more help. I also don't think we have a big enough sample size to really judge Rosen as of yet.

Next topic, next week - IS there a dominating defense this year??? and is one rule change the main reason teams are scoring at record pace?

MNBassin

#1, I think the Giants are really smart. They planned on getting Barkley and then another top 3 pick next year for a QB! Lol but for real, their problem is a combination of the Oline and Eli. Last night, I felt as though half the time they passed, Eli had no choice but to dump the ball off. The other half of the time (when the line decided to show up) he threw some terrible balls. Overthrown, underthrown, too risky, and everything in between. It’s just a mess and I’m happy I’m not Shurmur right now. I loved him here in MN, and don’t really agree with all the flak he’s getting. You can’t execute a proper game plan if things fall apart as soon as you snap the ball.

Walter34

Yes Eli sucks now. He is done.

Of the rookies so far, shockingly the Browns made the right choice

Mahomes is the biggest surprise to me (not mentioned above) it’s always been a mystery to me how college talent translates to the pros. 9 teams passed him by. His talent seems so off the charts now but wasn’t obvious from all of his college Career. Yes he was a 1st rounder but is playing better than a 1st overall

cctekguy

Staff member
Yes Eli sucks now. He is done.

Eli's biggest problem is that his own team thinks he sucks.

Eli has the pedigree and 2 Super Bowl rings to prove that he has talent (or at least HAD).

Cleveland's big turn around is not a direct result of Mayfield's talent. It's because he inspired hope. Suddenly every block matters. Every tackle is critical. Offensive guys are playing like every play could be a touchdown.

Eli's team mates take the field wondering how Manning is gonna screw it up this time.

Right now, the Giants don't need a QB of the future they need a QB that isn't named Manning.

A deal for Fitz in Tampa makes a lot of sense to me... Or McCown.... Hell, a deal for Mike Glennon would at least change the "Beaten Before We Begin" attitude that permeates the Giants locker room.

Eli doesn't "SUCK" but he needs to be replaced QUICKLY.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Deacon

Bacon=greatest of all!
Well its Tuesday and I still have questions.

Since its already been thoroughly beaten I won't drone on about the dead horse that is the miserable performances by kickers this year, no really. I won't go on and on about how many missed extra points there have been. And I definitely won't mention the number of games that have been tied or lost because of kicker ineptitude.

So since I am not going to grumble about the kickers I will at least point out that there seems to be way more dropped passes this year. I'm not talking potentially spectacular catches, I mean the run of the mill, I would expect Pop Warner kids to catch, kind of drops. Can't blame this one on the left handed QBs.

Walter34

Kicker tidbits.

As some of you know I am Canadian and a season ticket holder for the CFL Ottawa RedBlacks. Last year's place kicker for Ottawa is now the Cowboys licker Brett Maher (an almost perfect 15-16 in FG and 10\10 in x pts.

This year the Red Blacks kicker Louis Ward you would have never heard of. Ottawa university and now Ottawa CFL team. May have never even visited the USA for all I know. This guy has set the CFL record which is still going - 43 straight FGs. 43!! and counting. These aren't chip shots and in real weather, not the balmy tropics that you guys enjoy. :p

So for deep, deep, deep, deep, deep dynasty leagues, grab this guy - coming to an NFL team near you next fall.