NFL 2017, Week 6 In or Out and other injury notes

efactor

Coming at you
C.J.Bearthard is now starting for San Fran

A must move for SF. They absolutely need to know if Bethard has any chance to be a good NFL quality QB BEFORE they spend big money on Cousins or a top 2 pick in the draft. 10 games should give them an idea. Their pass blocking is solid so not like he will be crushed on a weekly basis.

ExperiencedRookie

A must move for SF. They absolutely need to know if Bethard has any chance to be a good NFL quality QB BEFORE they spend big money on Cousins or a top 2 pick in the draft. 10 games should give them an idea. Their pass blocking is solid so not like he will be crushed on a weekly basis.
He can probably be serviceable in a tight spot. I'm guessing he doesn't show enough in 10 games for SF to pass on the opportunity to bring in Cousins or draft a QB early.

efactor

Coming at you
He can probably be serviceable in a tight spot. I'm guessing he doesn't show enough in 10 games for SF to pass on the opportunity to bring in Cousins or draft a QB early.

Quite possible, BUT you need to know. If he performs well, it changes your whole approach. 10 games should give them a very good idea.

SF had a lightly touted, late 3rd round QB in 1978 who turned out pretty good. NE drafted a pretty serviceable guy from Michigan in the 6th round. Dallas found their guy in the 4th. It happens, but if you define your future by draft position, it won't. You need to see him on the field.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Quite possible, BUT you need to know. If he performs well, it changes your whole approach. 10 games should give them a very good idea.

SF had a lightly touted, late 3rd round QB in 1978 who turned out pretty good. NE drafted a pretty serviceable guy from Michigan in the 6th round. Dallas found their guy in the 4th. It happens, but if you define your future by draft position, it won't. You need to see him on the field.
San fran is in a great spot. If he is studly, you save your first rounder for other talent desperately needed. If he is serviceable, you have a solid back up, who could be bridge while first round rookie Qb learns. If he tanks, still keep for new rookie to learn from. But I agree with RC, I think the kid will be servicable, and allows them to draft a Qb and not rush him.