McCoy vs. Gordon

German CTL

Circle City Outlaw
A couple of mid to late first round RB's in Melvin Gordon and LeSean McCoy. Both put up good numbers when they were on the field last season but both missed time.

Gordon by all accounts is fully recovered. He has a new coach in Anthony Lynn who has drawn praise for his running game acumen. Improved O-line, Keenan Allen is back (for now) to improve the passing threat. He's young, with good draft pedigree.. worth a first round pick IMO.

McCoy performed great last season despite missing 2 games. There's a new coach in town and reporters have speculated that he could actually lead the team in receptions. Solid O-line. Getting up there in mileage but guys a beast when he's on the field... worth a first round pick IMO and has a decent handcuff option in Jonathan Williams too.

So if forced to choose 1 of these 2 as your RB1... who'd you choose and why???

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
You don't ask any easy questions do you German? Man this is a tough one and I'm not sure there's a "right" answer today. Of course there will be at the end of the season. One is young and has only been good for exactly one season. One is pushing 30 but has been winning games for owners for years. One is not going to catch a dozen passes and one is like a beauty queen catching passes every time she turns around. I'm going with Mr. Reliable over the youngster. Give me Shady please.

ExperiencedRookie

A couple of mid to late first round RB's in Melvin Gordon and LeSean McCoy. Both put up good numbers when they were on the field last season but both missed time.

Gordon by all accounts is fully recovered. He has a new coach in Anthony Lynn who has drawn praise for his running game acumen. Improved O-line, Keenan Allen is back (for now) to improve the passing threat. He's young, with good draft pedigree.. worth a first round pick IMO.

McCoy performed great last season despite missing 2 games. There's a new coach in town and reporters have speculated that he could actually lead the team in receptions. Solid O-line. Getting up there in mileage but guys a beast when he's on the field... worth a first round pick IMO and has a decent handcuff option in Jonathan Williams too.

So if forced to choose 1 of these 2 as your RB1... who'd you choose and why???
This is not even close! I don't know what Mud was talking about.

Melvin Gordon is NOT good. Period. He's simply not a talented RB. The guy has over 400 career carries, and owns a 3.7 YPC average. This is pretty horrible. To put that in perspective, Shady's worst YPC season was as a rookie at 4.2.

I don't think there's a more TD dependent RB in the first round. Guy has yet to break 1000 yards, and only added to the receiving stats last year because there was no one healthy left in that back field. Who the hell wants to burn a 1st round pick on a TD dependent player who has 2 seasons..one of them with ZERO TDs?!?

I just don't get the love for this guy. If Olivier steals some 3rd down work, and Melvin goes from 10 TDs to 8 or less...he's a mighty big bust. He's a 3rd/4th round player that's being ballooned up by recency bias. He's essentially Lamar Miller, except he costs a pick 30 spots higher.

ExperiencedRookie

Agree with McCoy here, would rather wait til 2nd round and nab Howard or Ajayi
2 more guys that I don't like. At least Howard consistently churned out yardage last year though. Ajayi is where he's at over a couple huge explosive games.

The back half of the 1st round RBs always seem to fail.

German CTL

Circle City Outlaw
I guess I'm not as down on Gordon as y'all. Assuming he stays healthy, I see his YPC only going up with Anthony Lynn coaching him up, behind a slightly improved o-line.. year older, wiser but still young with low miles. San Diego should be able to score a good amount of points and probably win half their games.

There's only garbage behind him on the depth chart so he should push for 300 carries. At 4 YPC he's around 1200 rush yards. Say he catches 50 balls for 450 yards and totals 10 TDs. 1650 total yards, 10 TDs, 50 catches.. I think that's a reasonable projection.

ExperiencedRookie

I guess I'm not as down on Gordon as y'all. Assuming he stays healthy, I see his YPC only going up with Anthony Lynn coaching him up, behind a slightly improved o-line.. year older, wiser but still young with low miles. San Diego should be able to score a good amount of points and probably win half their games.

There's only garbage behind him on the depth chart so he should push for 300 carries. At 4 YPC he's around 1200 rush yards. Say he catches 50 balls for 450 yards and totals 10 TDs. 1650 total yards, 10 TDs, 50 catches.. I think that's a reasonable projection.
I feel like you're projecting his ceiling.

I doubt he hits 300 carries. I doubt he suddenly becomes a 4 YPC player. I also doubt he has 50 catches. All things he's failed to do in 2 years so far.

German CTL

Circle City Outlaw
I feel like you're projecting his ceiling.

I doubt he hits 300 carries. I doubt he suddenly becomes a 4 YPC player. I also doubt he has 50 catches. All things he's failed to do in 2 years so far.
He was at 3.9 ypc last year and well on his way to 300 carries and 50 catches. 4+ ypc is not a major leap. Assuming he stays healthy those projections seem very attainable.

I'd put his ceiling at or near 1850 total yards, 60 catches and 14 TDs.

ExperiencedRookie

He was at 3.9 ypc last year and well on his way to 300 carries and 50 catches. 4+ ypc is not a major leap. Assuming he stays healthy those projections seem very attainable.

I'd put his ceiling at or near 1850 total yards, 60 catches and 14 TDs.
Agree to disagree.

Sink a first rounder into him at your own peril. This dude is simply not good...

German CTL

Circle City Outlaw
gordon will not get more than 250 carries if he's lucky and healthy
I just don't see how he stays under 250 if he's healthy all season. He had 254 in 13 games last year.. they brought in no real competition for carries. They must have faith in the guy.

jjtweeks

Gordon was a nice pick last year. I would pick McCoy in the 2nd but I wouldn't touch Gordon until mid-late 3rd to early 4th

Rocket

Rock the Rocket
my prediction
McCoy 1300 yards rushing 400 receiving 10 total td's
Gordon 900 yard rushing 250 receiving 7 td's
:rolleyes:

After the Big 3 RBs in Tier 1 in the first round (before the Zeke suspension), all is left are the following:

Tier 1
McCoy - Putting on big boy pants after Bills throw Watkins under the bus; heavier workload this year, but his miles are adding up
Freeman - Leaving Coleman in the dust with new extension

Tier 2
Gordon - moves to this tier cuz he needs another year to prove it. YPC and small frame makes me want to stay away
Howard - Da Bears, overvalued
Ajahi - Needs two years to prove himself. Back to back 200 yard+ games is impressive, but begs the question, can he carry the load if concussion passes
Murray - Treadwear is getting thin, and Henry breathing down his neck. He will break down soon.

To answer the question, I hesitantly take McCoy. He may break down soon too. I'd be happy to handcuff him. But looking at the RBs down below if two stud WRs come my way.

Tier 3
Gurley -
Fournette
Crowell
Montg
Miller

19d6cdcd903d927131b4358ba580a736.jpeg

Win a Gordon signed jersey!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk