The way too early dynasty rookie rankings

ExperiencedRookie

Now that the draft is wrapped up, all I can think about is which of these rookies are going to be shaping my dynasty team for years to come.

Before I get to my knee jerk reactions (seeing as how I'm writing this as Mr Irrelevent is being announced on ESPN) I'll give a little personal perspective.

I'm going into year 3 of a dynasty league I started up in 2015. I had a horrendous draft and knew it right away. I hadn't built a roster that was going to be competitive any time in the near future. So what I've been doing for the last 2 years is taking advantage of every possible opportunity to build for the future. I traded away about half of the players on my squad to owners who were in "win now" mode. Ive picked up quite a few of high draft picks in the process.

Going into the 2017 season I have picks 1.03, 1.05, 1.07, and 1.11 in the upcoming rookie draft. It's very important for me to get the first round rankings correct seeing as how this is the turning point moment I've been working up to. Those are my only 4 picks in the 3 round rookie draft. I want to end up with the future Odell Beckham's and LeVeon Bell's....not the future Cordarelle Patteron's and TJ Yeldon's.

So, without further delay, here are the rankings.

1. Christian McCaffrey, Panthers
Dude is a swiss army knife. Should almost certainly lead the rookie RBs in receptions. I'm guessing that this guy is going to line up all over the field. Great athlete, smart kid. J Stew is running out of gas, and out of time.

2. Corey Davis, Titans
This dude landed exactly where I was hoping he would. Team is devoid of WR talent, and this dude checks all the boxes of a pro #1 WR. Mariota at QB gives him a young connection that can build into some special over time.

3. Mike Williams, Chargers
Another pretty sweet landing spot for a top flight WR. Rivers can sling the ball all over the yard and he's got a few elite years left in him. When evaluating these young WRs from a situational standpoint alone, playing alongside Keenan Allen can be seen as a positive or a negative. What Ive seen in Keenan is a guy who can't stay healthy, and isn't necessarily a big TD producer. Mike Williams could easily be this teams #1 WR in no time.

4. Leonard Fournette, Jaguars
Flashy name. People have been talking about this guy as the "next AP" since Gurley held that title. He's a big physical freak. Size and speed. Absolutely punishing runner. I'm not terribly excited about him though. There's been reports that he doesn't love football, some worries about his size and running style leading to injuries, and then the fact that he landed on the Jaguars. It's been nearly a decade since they produced any kind of positive running numbers for fantasy purposes. All that being said, the upside still keeps him in the top 5.

5. Dalvin Cook, Vikings
Guy was an absolute beast in college, all while playing behind one of the worst offensive lines in FBS. I believe they actually ranked dead last in run blocking in 2016, and this dude still was among the finalist for RB of the year. I'm not in love with his landing spot though. The Vikings O line hasn't played particularly well lately, and the team just dropped coin on Latavius Murray in free agency. If Cook is every bit as talented as his game tape says he is, he should still be able to carve out the lead role here though.

6. Joe Mixon, Bengals
So the guy is a dick. Big freaking deal. Lots of these NFL guys are assholes, they just haven't all been caught playing Mike Tyson's knock out with stupid white girls who pick fights with dudes twice their size. There are some that feel that he's actually the most talented RB in this whole class. Landing spot is a little head scratching though. I know Gio got hurt at the end of last season, and that Hill hasn't quite lived up to his potential, but that's not enough for me to go searching for a RB in the first 2 rounds if I was the Bengals. They did just that though, and Mixon found his way onto the Cincy Correctional Bengals. This might be a long term play more than some of the other guys. Gio will almost certainly be gone next year when his contract is up, and who knows what they do with Hill. Mixon will need to be elite if he wants to be featured in his rookie season.

7. OJ Howard, Bucs
What a fantastic spot to have an offensive weapon like this end up at. Jameis is pretty damn good, and he's only going to get better. Evans is obviously the go to guy for their offense, but after that, there's not a ton of competition for balls. This dude is an absolute beast and has every opportunity to be a top 5 TE in a few years time.

8. Kareem Hunt, Chiefs
So...this is about the time when I really starting reaching. The clear and obvious top RBs are all taken, and now you're looking at the "next tier". I don't know much about the kid, besides Kiper blowing his load all over him when KC picked him up. His situation is what looks really nice to me. KC has consistently produced solid fantasy RBs, and this kid could be the next. Andy Reid knows what hes doing, and now he doesn't have to count on Spencer freaking Ware to carry the load.

9. Curtis Samuel, Panthers
The Panthers are pretty thin at the WR2 position, and this dude has Tyreek Hill written all over him. Guy was an absolute freak at the combine with this athleticism. Big body Kelvin on the other side (who isn't a true #1 IMO) and Olsen doing his thing across the middle. Should open up all kinds of opportunities. This dude is in scoring position once the ball is in his hands.

10. John Ross, Bengals
I don't even like putting this guy on my list because I would never draft him. He had the better 40 time than Samuel, but Samuel looks like the better athlete and in the better situation. This is another offensive picks for the Bengals that I didn't really understand. I get that the WR2 spot appears needy, but not for a 1st round price tag. AJ is obviously going to gobble up 80+ receptions per year when healthy, and there's nothing more than a second fiddle to be played here. I'm not a big Dalton fan either. All for a guy who appears to be all speed and not much else. I wouldn't draft him any higher than this.

11. Donnel Pumphrey, Eagles
Call it another guy feeling (see Kareem Hunt). I think Ryan Matthews run as a pro RB is almost coming to an end. All it takes is for one guy to blossom up, and that lead job is wide open for the taking. Wont be long and Sproles will be retired too, opening up all 3 downs.

12. Alvin Kamara, Saints
Totally crowded backfield...for now. AP is about to curl up in a blankey next to the fire with his reading glasses and a good book very soon. Ingram always seems to find a way into Payton's dog house. Plenty of future opportunity here for a player who is pretty damn good in his own right. There's a lot safer picks you could make here, and if you needed immediate impact players, this would NOT be the guy to draft. Lottery ticket material.

What say you? Are my rankings ridiculous? Who am I missing? Who is too high? Too low?

React

hikeNbike

Having a hard time assessing at this point. Mcaffrey put up huge numbers but admittedly I saw very little of his games.expect he will catch a lot of balls but not sure he scores that many tds.

Up in the air on Fournette. On talent I think he is the best but I question his ability to stay healthy with his running style and on a team without much of an offensive line.

I know Tes are devalued bit I would give some serious thought to moving O.J. Howard to top 3 as long as the league is TE required. Think he is going to be an absolute beast at a position with not a ton of production would give the owner a difference maker in the lineup each week.

I also like Dalvin Cook. A lot of people seem to be down on him but he impressed every time I saw him play. Fairly good landing spot though Latavius will probably leach some tds for a year or two.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

hikeNbike

For Mixon I am much more concerned with his off field stuff then the crowded th situation. I feel like the Bengals have lost patience with Hills play after a good rookie year he has had two up and down years, and Gio can't seem to stay healthy. Combine that with the Bengals taking Mixon mid second round and I expect he will get plenty of chances to play if he can stay out of trouble.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Leonard can not make space for himself. If they don't block for him you can watch replays of LSU//Bama for a preview of what's coming. However give him a lane and they won't catch him. His pass catching ability has been down played in an undeserving manner. He does have decent hands at least for screens and dump offs and he's going to do much more damage there than people expect. Ankle injuries are concerning but he has shown the ability to play through them when he was needed which was not the case in Tiger Town this past season. The best of the LSU RB's comes to the NFL next year and he'll be the number one rookie RB in every draft class. Back to Leonard and who is the better RB to target between him and Christian this year. Christian is on the better team with the better QB but for now faces the toughest competition for touches. Fournette can absolutely be your work horse and he is one of those RB's who seems to get better as the game wears on. Probably after he's beaten the hell out of the defenders. Of the two I lean Fournette but not strongly enough that it makes a huge difference.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Also ER you are spot on with your thoughts on Alvin Kamara. He's Eggs-Actly the type of RB that Payton and Brees love to have around. With Peterson soon to be gone and Ingram's ability to get benched and or hurt this guy will have some chances and there'll start up this year.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Now that the draft is wrapped up, all I can think about is which of these rookies are going to be shaping my dynasty team for years to come.

Before I get to my knee jerk reactions (seeing as how I'm writing this as Mr Irrelevent is being announced on ESPN) I'll give a little personal perspective.

I'm going into year 3 of a dynasty league I started up in 2015. I had a horrendous draft and knew it right away. I hadn't built a roster that was going to be competitive any time in the near future. So what I've been doing for the last 2 years is taking advantage of every possible opportunity to build for the future. I traded away about half of the players on my squad to owners who were in "win now" mode. Ive picked up quite a few of high draft picks in the process.

Going into the 2017 season I have picks 1.03, 1.05, 1.07, and 1.11 in the upcoming rookie draft. It's very important for me to get the first round rankings correct seeing as how this is the turning point moment I've been working up to. Those are my only 4 picks in the 3 round rookie draft. I want to end up with the future Odell Beckham's and LeVeon Bell's....not the future Cordarelle Patteron's and TJ Yeldon's.

So, without further delay, here are the rankings.

1. Christian McCaffrey, Panthers
Dude is a swiss army knife. Should almost certainly lead the rookie RBs in receptions. I'm guessing that this guy is going to line up all over the field. Great athlete, smart kid. J Stew is running out of gas, and out of time.

2. Corey Davis, Titans
This dude landed exactly where I was hoping he would. Team is devoid of WR talent, and this dude checks all the boxes of a pro #1 WR. Mariota at QB gives him a young connection that can build into some special over time.

3. Mike Williams, Chargers
Another pretty sweet landing spot for a top flight WR. Rivers can sling the ball all over the yard and he's got a few elite years left in him. When evaluating these young WRs from a situational standpoint alone, playing alongside Keenan Allen can be seen as a positive or a negative. What Ive seen in Keenan is a guy who can't stay healthy, and isn't necessarily a big TD producer. Mike Williams could easily be this teams #1 WR in no time.

4. Leonard Fournette, Jaguars
Flashy name. People have been talking about this guy as the "next AP" since Gurley held that title. He's a big physical freak. Size and speed. Absolutely punishing runner. I'm not terribly excited about him though. There's been reports that he doesn't love football, some worries about his size and running style leading to injuries, and then the fact that he landed on the Jaguars. It's been nearly a decade since they produced any kind of positive running numbers for fantasy purposes. All that being said, the upside still keeps him in the top 5.

5. Dalvin Cook, Vikings
Guy was an absolute beast in college, all while playing behind one of the worst offensive lines in FBS. I believe they actually ranked dead last in run blocking in 2016, and this dude still was among the finalist for RB of the year. I'm not in love with his landing spot though. The Vikings O line hasn't played particularly well lately, and the team just dropped coin on Latavius Murray in free agency. If Cook is every bit as talented as his game tape says he is, he should still be able to carve out the lead role here though.

6. Joe Mixon, Bengals
So the guy is a dick. Big freaking deal. Lots of these NFL guys are assholes, they just haven't all been caught playing Mike Tyson's knock out with stupid white girls who pick fights with dudes twice their size. There are some that feel that he's actually the most talented RB in this whole class. Landing spot is a little head scratching though. I know Gio got hurt at the end of last season, and that Hill hasn't quite lived up to his potential, but that's not enough for me to go searching for a RB in the first 2 rounds if I was the Bengals. They did just that though, and Mixon found his way onto the Cincy Correctional Bengals. This might be a long term play more than some of the other guys. Gio will almost certainly be gone next year when his contract is up, and who knows what they do with Hill. Mixon will need to be elite if he wants to be featured in his rookie season.

7. OJ Howard, Bucs
What a fantastic spot to have an offensive weapon like this end up at. Jameis is pretty damn good, and he's only going to get better. Evans is obviously the go to guy for their offense, but after that, there's not a ton of competition for balls. This dude is an absolute beast and has every opportunity to be a top 5 TE in a few years time.

8. Kareem Hunt, Chiefs
So...this is about the time when I really starting reaching. The clear and obvious top RBs are all taken, and now you're looking at the "next tier". I don't know much about the kid, besides Kiper blowing his load all over him when KC picked him up. His situation is what looks really nice to me. KC has consistently produced solid fantasy RBs, and this kid could be the next. Andy Reid knows what hes doing, and now he doesn't have to count on Spencer freaking Ware to carry the load.

9. Curtis Samuel, Panthers
The Panthers are pretty thin at the WR2 position, and this dude has Tyreek Hill written all over him. Guy was an absolute freak at the combine with this athleticism. Big body Kelvin on the other side (who isn't a true #1 IMO) and Olsen doing his thing across the middle. Should open up all kinds of opportunities. This dude is in scoring position once the ball is in his hands.

10. John Ross, Bengals
I don't even like putting this guy on my list because I would never draft him. He had the better 40 time than Samuel, but Samuel looks like the better athlete and in the better situation. This is another offensive picks for the Bengals that I didn't really understand. I get that the WR2 spot appears needy, but not for a 1st round price tag. AJ is obviously going to gobble up 80+ receptions per year when healthy, and there's nothing more than a second fiddle to be played here. I'm not a big Dalton fan either. All for a guy who appears to be all speed and not much else. I wouldn't draft him any higher than this.

11. Donnel Pumphrey, Eagles
Call it another guy feeling (see Kareem Hunt). I think Ryan Matthews run as a pro RB is almost coming to an end. All it takes is for one guy to blossom up, and that lead job is wide open for the taking. Wont be long and Sproles will be retired too, opening up all 3 downs.

12. Alvin Kamara, Saints
Totally crowded backfield...for now. AP is about to curl up in a blankey next to the fire with his reading glasses and a good book very soon. Ingram always seems to find a way into Payton's dog house. Plenty of future opportunity here for a player who is pretty damn good in his own right. There's a lot safer picks you could make here, and if you needed immediate impact players, this would NOT be the guy to draft. Lottery ticket material.

What say you? Are my rankings ridiculous? Who am I missing? Who is too high? Too low?

React
First off, not buying what McCaffrey and Carolina are selling. Cam can't hit the quick out, or the rb for his life, and McCaffrey is not an every down back. Not in the NFL.

I also agree with Mud, until Jax gets a better OL, he won't find holes on his own very well.

To me the top rb and top off. pick is Cooks. Minny wants an every down back, and one that can catch Bradfords love of short passes. He fits that offense like a glove.

Next to me is Mixon, it will take a year, for Hill to flop again, but in Cincy offense he will have a blast once they finish the OL build there.

Kamara has to be considered long term value. NO just invested in AP, and he and Ingram will get most touches. But longer term, he will be the next Sproles I think.

Love Corey Davis in Tenn. A real wr for Mariota to target!

none of the other first round Wrs will pan out quickly. Too many mouths to feed in SD to make Williams viable.

Tight Ends - O.J. has to fight off Brate, not an easy thing to do I think. Some of the later Tes will do better.

ExperiencedRookie

I still can't believe how bad Dalvin Cook was at the combine. The SPARQ tests which combines all of the athletic measureables places him nearly dead last among all RBs and FBs in this class. In fact, he only outscored 2 players...both full backs. His tested athletic prowess puts him in the 6th percentile of NFL players.

Those numbers are jaw droppingly bad for a guy taken so high.

So which is correct? His game tape shows a stud 3 down back. His athletic testing shows a guy who isn't special on any measure.