Phic's first round assessment....

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Again, I am no expert, but I think some teams hit the panic button.

1) Cleveland - stayed strong, fought off going Qb for Qbs that were not valued this high and took a real game changer on defense. On a side note, the HC is a offense oriented guy, and even he said he wanted Garrett over any of these Qbs. What does that say about these Qbs?
2) San Fran - God bless the new management of San Fran - they dropped one pick lower and got and extra 3rd and 4th round pick this year and a 3rd next year for a one slot drop. Great move. Chicago then reaches for the Qb of their future in Trubisky. I actually like this, as they can let him learn while Glennon gets beat up. Chicago has a solid Rb, and OL is pretty good. But they need Wr help.
3) Chicago - trades to San fran - again kudos to Lynch for convincing Chicago they were getting calls. Get top flight DL to rebuild horrible defense.
4) Jacksonville - can you say new offense??? I thought you could, the stamp has been placed, they won't lose on Bortles arm anymore, this will be the Fournette show. Just hope he can stay healthy.
5) Tennessee - this pick intrigues me. Tenn. has two first round picks, and has some dire needs. Wr is one of them, the fact they took Davis who I LOVE, vs. Williams will be the judgement here. Still, getting Mariota one more toy to play with is very solid.
6) Jets go solid and safe and take the best S in this draft in Jamal Adams. Love the pick, they need to fix the defense, and this is a great start.
7)L.A. Chargers - don't like this pick, not at all. They have a great offense with TEs and Wrs and Qb already...what they needed was DL, OL and DB help. Granted Williams could be a great Wr, but they gave up a shot at some incredible talent.
8) Carolina - McCaffrey Rb - don't like this pick either. Loved the thought of Fournette here, but not McCaffrey. Carolina does not throw to the Rb, and Cam isn't that accurate. Unless that has changed and they are changing the offense, this was a very bad move IMO.
9) Cincinnati - John Ross Wr - Yikes. Just Yikes. Got speed out the wazoo, but can't stay healthy. Just don't like this at all, when there were Lbs out there and DL out there that would have made this team much, much better. Just Yikes.
10) KC - trades with Buffalo - can you say things have REALLY changed in Buffalo??? What a friggen steal. Seriously, I give this a better grade to Buffalo than San Fran. They move down from 10 to 27 - granted a huge drop but the Def. talent is dropping in this draft, and they score an extra 3rd rounder this year, and KC's first rounder next year. Kudos to the GM in Buffalo who is trying to keep his job. KC takes the Qb of the future and its....MAHOMES!!! At friggen #10?!?!?!?! I get it Andy, you love the gun slinger, you love the Farve esque look. But up to #10?!?!?!? I think you over reached my friend. I hope he is Farve, cause moves like this will get you fired if he is not.
11) Saints - OH NO - Sanity has come back to this draft...and its New Orleans making it sane.......OMG. What a friggen steal to get the most dire need for this team, with the best Cb in this draft and getting it without paying any extra. Saints probably ran folks over to get this pick to the podium. Oh, yeah I am a bit of an Ohio State homer :)
12) Houston - trade with Cleveland - Yes the analytics guy is working this draft. Cleveland gets Houston's #25 pick in this draft AND their first round pick next year to drop from 12. Not a bad haul at all. Houston then takes Watson as their Qb of the future. My only issue here is, Houston has a Qb to bridge, but he can't stay healthy. Might end up being forced to push Watson. At lease Watson will have tools to work with.
13) Arizona - goes Haason Reddick - LB they need ILB help, and this kid shows some spark, but he is a late comer, so hopefully he works out.
14) Philadelphia - YES! Friggen YES - there are two ways to fix a backfield for a def. First is to draft or acquire top flight Cbs. 2nd is to have a heck of a pass rush where the Qb has no time to find the Wrs. In my opinion, they got one of the best DE in this draft, and he can play OLB as well. They still have to address Cb, but there is depth in this draft for defense, so I am not worried.
15) Indianapolis - Hooker for the Win - great, great FS, and will help that porous defense a ton. Nice pick.

rest next post

Phicinfan

Administrator
Okay lets look at the 2nd half of the first round....
16) Baltimore- Marlon Humphrey Cb - to me this is a bit of a loss. I have King much higher than Humphrey, but it is a key need for Baltimore.
17) Washington - some one in D.C. is doing a big time happy dance - to get Jonathan Allen DE this late is a huge steal. I know there is some concern about the shoulders, but he plays and plays hard. Nice grab here.
18) Tennessee - Adoree' Jackson cb - love the Cb selection, but don't like the choice. He is a solid corner, but I still think King of Conley are better.
19) Tampa Bay - O.J.Howard - don't like this pick at all. They just get Brate established, and this. They have major needs, not the least of which is Rb, and they go Te here. I am not a Howard fan, and feel there are other TE's that could be better.
20) Denver - Garrett Bolles OT - Nice job Denver - they HAVE to fix the OL, and give the young Qbs time to find those Wrs.
21) Detroit - Jared Davis ILB Fla - love the position pick, but question the target with Foster still on the board.
22) Miami - wanting to bolster the pass rush nab Charles Harris OLB Missouri.
23) NYGiants - Evan Engram?!?!?! He is basically a large Wr, not a real Te. I don't get this one, why spend to sign Brandon Marshall in FA, then basically draft a clone???? don't like it one bit, then again I am an Eagles fan so Go Giants bwahahahaha
24) Oakland - Nabs the best CB available, and 2nd or 3rd best in this draft with Gareon Conley. This was a great move as it protects them for a need, AND with all the good pub for getting Marshawn Lynch...they protect some news backlash for Conley.
25) Cleveland - Jabril Peppers - so they dropped down from 12, get a crap ton of extra picks and also get a Tweener. Will he play S or LB or what? I am not a huge fan of Peppers, but if he pans out he could make that defense better.
26) Atlanta - trades with Seattle - so they sent 31 their 3rd rounder and 7th rounder to move up 5 spots for DE Tak McKinley. It hits a need, to give some pass rush help for the defense that folded last year.
27) Buffalo - traded with KC - have need at Cb, and grab Tra'Davious White from LSU. Again, I had King higher, and wonder if I am missing something, but this hits a need, and they got a boat load from KC on this trade.
28) Dallas - Taco Charlton DE Michigan - need pass rush help, not sure this is best though.
29) Cleveland - trade with Packers - sent #33 in second round and their 4th round pick to Green Bay to get David NJoku Te Miami - so trying to get tools for the offense....but not sure TE is a dire need.
30) Pittsburgh - gets baby Watt OLB Wisconsin.....not sure of this pick.
31) San Fran - trade with Seattle - sent #34 and the fourth round pick acquired from Chicago for Rueben Foster ILB - wow...great, great move. What a steal this late. Very, very nice nab to further the rebuild of that awful defense.
32) New Orleans - got Cb earlier - but nab OT Ramcyzk from Wisconsin to help solidify the OL. I like the pick, not sure Saints fans do though.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Love San Fran and Buffalo so far in this draft. San Fran rocking on fixing the Def, while also getting more picks to fix holes.

Buffalo I have to assume had this Cb in their sights and took the advantage of moving down and getting the extra first next year to do it.

Nice.

JScott

Administrator
From everything I've heard/read teams do not lie during the draft, beacause if it's found out they did word gets around and no one would deal with them again. So I honestly believe SF had an offer that CHI had to beat.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
From everything I've heard/read teams do not lie during the draft, beacause if it's found out they did word gets around and no one would deal with them again. So I honestly believe SF had an offer that CHI had to beat.

Someone was giving them serious competition for that draft spot to cause them to pay the price that they did.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Wonder if Cleveland was the one pushing to move up?