Is The Lion's Offense Ready To Roar?

cctekguy

Staff member
Deep inside the darkest recesses of my fandom ego is a soft spot for Matt Stafford. Always thought this kid would be a great NFL QB but for whatever reason, it hasn't worked out that way.

So forgive me if I'm being a little too gullible concerning the hype around the Lion's offense this year.

I'm getting kind of excited about the press reports claiming that Detroit is going with a fast paced, no huddle, type offense. I can't find them now, but I've seen stats comparing Stafford's normal game pace numbers and his hurry-up numbers and the difference is notable.

I also think that losing Calvin will actually be a bonus (not hurt as much) in this type of offense. Hyper play is not designed to feed mega stars. It's balls all over the field to anybody without tape on their hands.

Cutting ties with Ridley and promoting Zenner to the #1 power back position is also exciting for me. This Zenner kid has guts!

If Jim Bob Cooter (how can you NOT love a guy named Jim Bob Cooter?) can pull this off, this could turn out to be a very fun year for Stafford and the Lions.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I do think Detroit will be more diversified, and thus more able to move around. In the past they were totally Megatron built, and if he was hurt or out they were screwed.

I also am a HUGE Zenner fan, and think he will end up being used more than Abdullah will in the end.

ExperiencedRookie

Feels like a perfect storm. Good enough offensive weapons, a coaching scheme condusive to productivity and speed, a plus looking schedule, and a bad enough D to force some shootouts.

Deacon

Bacon=greatest of all!
Detroit's biggest problem has been their inability to effectively run the ball. I have seen nothing that leads me to believe that they have remedied that problem.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Detroit's biggest problem has been their inability to effectively run the ball. I have seen nothing that leads me to believe that they have remedied that problem.
I would say the main issue has been the O-line. Trouble running and trouble keeping Stafford on his feet.

ExperiencedRookie

Couldn't that be a good thing? Jax couldn't run the ball last year either, and it led to Bortles having a top 5 year. San Diego had the same problem, and Rivers threw for the 2nd most yards in the league

Deacon

Bacon=greatest of all!
Couldn't that be a good thing? Jax couldn't run the ball last year either, and it led to Bortles having a top 5 year. San Diego had the same problem, and Rivers threw for the 2nd most yards in the league

And would you call either one of those offenses prolific?