What Is Joey Bosa Trying Accomplish?

cctekguy

Staff member
I have no clue.

He turned down the Chargers best offer yet and now the Chargers have retracted it and said the offers will go down from here on out due to the games he will miss this year.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I have no clue.

He turned down the Chargers best offer yet and now the Chargers have retracted it and said the offers will go down from here on out due to the games he will miss this year.
Okay, as I understand it, it is the following issue.

All rookies now that they are slotted in salary by the new CBA, have "offset" language as well as upfront signing bonus.

The "offset" language is if for some reason the draft pick is cut, with rookie contract left, and signed by new team, the old team doesn't have to pay rest of salary on old contract.

In most casees the upfront bonus money is paid in full at sign of contract, but SD likes to hold some off til start of next year as a cap help.

In all cases post CBA, the third pick in draft has been able to get one or the other back - so either no offset money, or full signing bonus up front.

SD has stuck their heads in the ground going full ostrich and states that is not their policy and they will require BOTH.

Last offer they just pulled had 85% of his up front money coming at signing.

Remember also, Bosa is the son of an NFL player who had a long hold out, as well as an uncle (Kumerow) who also held out. So its a pride thing kind of.

MongerKhan

TXL: Pimp Hand Strong
Staff member
Crybaby.

But it is interesting that if he sits all year, which he wont, he goes back into the pool for next years draft

Phicinfan

Administrator
Crybaby.

But it is interesting that if he sits all year, which he wont, he goes back into the pool for next years draft
yeah this was a big topic on ESPN radio yesterday.

Issue is - one year fully out of football, and no guarantee he would be drafted that high again (more likely it won't happen).

So big financial hit to him.

Still, to me this is SD and Bosa being petty.

cctekguy

Staff member
I could never be an NFL owner.

I'd let loose of this guy so fast he wouldn't know how he ended up in Cleveland.

Not really sure what rights the owners have. Can they trade him if he isn't under contract? Can they trade the rights to him and let some other team haggle with him?

Or is the team just screwed out of their 1st round pick if they don't sign him?

Either way, I ain't being held hostage by a punk.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I could never be an NFL owner.

I'd let loose of this guy so fast he wouldn't know how he ended up in Cleveland.

Not really sure what rights the owners have. Can they trade him if he isn't under contract? Can they trade the rights to him and let some other team haggle with him?

Or is the team just screwed out of their 1st round pick if they don't sign him?

Either way, I ain't being held hostage by a punk.
They "could" trade him, issue is, he is locked in his draft pick slot, so that cap cost goes to whoever gets him, and most teams don't have that much cap space to take it on.

And lets be clear here, this team makes millions and millions of dollars and they are being greedy over 50% of ONE signing bonus...or paying the whole contract. Again, this is on both, not just the player

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Forget about the amounts of money being transfered and just look at basic negotiation principals here....from what Phic laid out, Bosa is simply asking for what others in his same slot have received in the past. Doesn't appear to be more, just the same. So what is this on Bosa? Looks to me like another billionaire being a cheap skate and drawing the line for no reason. If me, I wouldn't cave either. Why should I take a contract with more limiting terms than the precedent that has been set?

cctekguy

Staff member
That's right.

Then the deal is set. Me (the owner) and you (the player) can't find common ground.

So what is next? Why is it expected that one of us has to "give in"?

Adios and good luck amigo!

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Thing is....this likely isn't an owner issue (unless it would be Dallas, but JJ isn't this dumb), it's a GM issue....and if you keep pissing off top talent as a GM the Adios is going to be to him as he looks for another job.

Again, if Bosa was asking for something new or ground breaking...OK...greedy punk....but that doesn't look to be the case....it's the team trying to nickel and dime the player over something that appears to be pretty common place.

Phicinfan

Administrator
That's right.

Then the deal is set. Me (the owner) and you (the player) can't find common ground.

So what is next? Why is it expected that one of us has to "give in"?

Adios and good luck amigo!
Well, lets explore this.

It means :
1) you just threw away your first round pick of 2016. You are now a laughing stock in the eyes of other GMs
2) you just made your negotiations for all future 1st rounders a mess - look for the next Eli situation next year
3) you have just got cap space - and not a single FA will come due to your "greedy" stance. - Welcome to Bengal land (a few years ago that is...)

So great, you stuck to your guns, kids is gone...and you will be looking for your next GM job in the CFL next year.