Pre-season position competitions...who wins?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
There were a bunch of competitions this year, lets see who you think wins:

Qb:
Hou - Hoyer vs. Mallett - this one is over, for now its Hoyer. But watch this, as I think if they are mediocre they may make the switch back.

Buf - T.Taylor, E. Manuel, M. Cassell - This one is still up in the air. OF the three, I love Taylor's athleticism, but I think they go safe and game manager with Cassell.

Cle - J.McCown vs. Manziel - yeah this wasn't a competition......or was it? By all reports Manziel has really turned it around, but now has a elbow issue. McCown has not really impressed but will start this year. I think this again will be a mid-season change depending on how team does. I think they wanted to take the pressure off the kid, but bringing a vet in to take the heat and start the season.

Was - RGIII, C.McCoy, K. Cousins - yeah this was no competition, but after last game it may be again. McCoy and Cousins have showed well, RGIII not so much. Key thing raised by many today on TV was you don't see one single player on team come to RGIII's defense. Not one. No vet or Wr or anyone. By some reports he is not liked at all in the locker room. Only time will tell what happens here.

Rb:
NY Giants - Jennings, A.Williams, Vereen - Jennings was expected to be the main back, with Vereen as the change of pace and receiving back and A.Williams for short yardage and goal line. But some reports now have Williams taking carries, and no real news on Vereen at all. Status Quo here I think, but lets see if youngster can come out on top.

Tenn.: B.Sankey vs. D.Cobb - Sankey sucked last year, no if ands or buts. He had a great game last week though, so maybe the kid has turned it around. Cobb on the other hand has done very well, and is well liked by the coach by all reports, but an injury just popped up. Still, I think Cobb takes over at some point soon.

Was: A.Morris vs. M. Jones - All Alfred Morris does is his job. He isn't flashy, but he is consistent and solid. But Jones is flashing, and they may have to run alot to protect whoever the Qb is. I think Morris keeps his job for now.

N.O.: Ingram vs. C.J.Spiller vs. Robinson - Seems like this one never ends. I will say this though, N.O. is not stupid, they realized they lost a ton when they let both R.Bush and D.Sproles go. C.J. was to be that role and still could be if he can stay healthy. However, Ingram and Robinson have been really, really good in his absence even in the passing game. So who knows if C.J. ever gets the chance....or can ever stay healthy?

Cle: Crowell, West, D.Johnson - no competition really, as none of them can get healthy enough. By all reports the team and Rb coach is really down on all three, but Johnson is starting to flash. This may just be a total avoid at this point.

Det: J.Bell, A.Abdullah - Bell has not stepped on the field yet, but coaches say he will start once healthy. Abdullah has been good and bad, which is to be expected. Most feel Abdullah takes over this year. I don't, I think Bell is the starter until he either gets hurt or end of season. Then they will go to the rookie next year.

Atl: D.Freeman vs. T.Coleman - I have heard almost nothing here. Both have been hurt, but I have heard no news on who they like or don't. I think this could end up RBBC in a big way. No idea.

for the life of me, can't think of any Wr competitions...other than Indy.

Ind: for the #3 wr slot - Moncreif vs. Dorsett vs. Carter - all have done pretty well, but Dorsett is very dynamic, but to me he is another T.Y. Hilton, so not sure if he would be back up or #3. Only time will tell.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Houston, Texas. No man's land for QB's. Gosh there must be something in the water down there. It's going to take a while but Mallet will wind up the starter for the majority of the year. He has to "wake up" first though.

Taylor is going to be Rex's starting QB and it won't take long at all for his athleticism to burry these also rans.

Maziel is going to take the job away from McClown in Cleveland and it'll be less than a month before he does. Not because he's some stud but because McCown isn't the long term answer in any way, shape or form. Plus he mostly sucks. They have to find out what Johnny Football brings to the table.

Cousins is the only QB that has a chance to be successful long term in that program and he'll get his chance, again. RGIII is spending his last year in the nation's capital city.

Oh lord what does my crystal ball tell me about the mess at RB for the NYG? Through the minds of magic and with a magical mind I call upon the powers. At the end of the year, baring injuries it'll be Jennings, Vereen, and then Williams for number of touches.

Down in the Big Easy where you can leave your clock at home Robinson is going to out touch CJ and injuries may have a lot to do with that.

Yeah I think you have to stay away from the Brown's backfield but if you have to grab a piece of the pie and hold it until it gels then grab Crowell and cross your fingers.

In Detroit Abdullah is going to out touch Bell and that Zenner dude is going to be chasing right behind Joique who can't even be healthy in the off season.

Coleman is the healthier of the two RB's in Atlanta this week and will draw his first preseason action this weekend. Agreed this is a down the middle time share.

Indy, where the rich get richer. More talent at WR then seems fair. QB too. I'm leaning towards Dorsett to break out of the pack for the Colts, in part because I can be a contrary sort of fellow.

Phicinfan

Administrator
There were a bunch of competitions this year, lets see who you think wins:

Qb:

Was - RGIII, C.McCoy, K. Cousins - yeah this was no competition, but after last game it may be again. McCoy and Cousins have showed well, RGIII not so much. Key thing raised by many today on TV was you don't see one single player on team come to RGIII's defense. Not one. No vet or Wr or anyone. By some reports he is not liked at all in the locker room. Only time will tell what happens here.
Well, well, well, this got more interesting. RGIII gets clearance to practice, then gets it pulled, and he is out rest of pre-season, AND they have named Cousins the starter for week 1.

Curious if this means RGIII is done here, and if so, what QB hungry team will take a chance on him??

Phicinfan

Administrator
Buffalo Rb back up slot competition just got interesting, Fred Jackson was released by Buffalo(wow, that is a shocker he is a fan favorite, and solid Rb) so K.Williams looks to be the back up to McCoy.

Jax. shipped kicker J.Scobee to Pittsburgh in a trade. So Pittsburgh is on K #3 already.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Well as posted by @mudloggerone two Qb competitions have been answered:
Cousins will start all year in Washington.
T.Taylor has won for now in Buffalo.

Phicinfan

Administrator
So, final tally:
QB:
Hoyer over Mallet for now in Hou.
T.Taylor over Manuel and Cassell in Buf.
McCown over manziel in Cle
Cousins over McCoy and RG3 in Was
Rb:
Giants - who knows, but reports are Jennings then Vereen on passing downs. Williams spells Jennings
Tenn - Sankey has won, but only because Cobb is on temp. IR, Terrance West added and might take over soon
Was - A.Morris is still in, but M.Jones will get time
N.O. - Ingram and Robinson for now, Spiller definitely out week 1
Cle - looks to be all Crowell, as D.Johnson is still in Concussion checks and West went to Tenn.
Det - by all reports Bell is still starter, but Abdullah will get carries, and watch out for ZZ Zach Zenner.
ATl - Coleman now listed as starter, not sure he won, or is just the healthiest of the two. Freeman still there though.
Also in Rb:
F.Jackson to Seattle - and will play week 1 per HC.
C.Michaels to dallas - but won't see time week 1 - still looks to be Randle and McFadden show.

Wr:
Dorsett seems to have edged out Moncrief, and both will get return yards(KO To Moncrief, PR to Dorsett).