Deflategate?????

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Well, Goodell turned down the NFLPA's request, he will handle the appeal himself. Come on Roger, add some games to teach him a lesson!

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
Now many are saying "Welp, to federal court we go".
If that does happen, wouldn't Brady's phone have to be entered into evidence? Not to mention The Deflator testimony.

Arctic Dawgs

I'm okay with Bradys 4 games, I think the Pats got off way light, and I can't believe billecheck got off scot free

filming other teams practices, Spygate, focking around with the injury reports, and now this. all under his watch. Nothing for him and Payton gets 1 year for William's bounties. WTF

The reason I think the Pats got off way light is looking at the cap hits that Dallas and Was got hit with over redoing a couple contracts during the uncapped year. Pats should have had something like that as well

Beermutts

Raven Maniac
11205554_10206683191782092_7715040289220530596_n.jpg

gizzil

Appeal BS, if this gets reduced in any way, the NFL is a sham. Period. Too much evidence to go against them, and the fact it took THIS long to respond with a very crafted...or Krafted message just confirms my feelings of guilt. In my opinion, since they are pushing again, I up the suspension to 6 games, which they can do now I believe.

What IS a sham and BS is Goodell clearly waited for the public outcry to make a decision. So the guy who meted out 2 games for a vicious beating in an elevator now gives double plus extra to somebody who, if we are saying he "broke the rules where other quarterbacks do not" (Again, Aaron Rodgers admitted to tampering with ball inflation, Brady has done no such thing... I guess we should expect 4 games draft picks and a fine for the pack?), and I have pointed ut twice now that this is not even a little bit true, but if we are saying that, this equates to scuffing a ball or putting pine tar on it at best. A super minor infraction. So this punishment is completely based on public reaction, and oh, probably a bit on Kraft publicly telling everybody to kiss his ass beforehand.

To take things further, as I mentioned with How to police this in the future and the possibility of weather or wear and tear making a difference.... 3 of the four footballs tested at halftime of that game from the COLTS side were also underinflated. Balls have never been tested at halftime and there was and still is no procedural protocol in doing so. This would be like (a legal example makes more sense but I guess this is more a workplace?) if you know your boss or workplace has somewhat recently made a rule that isn't enforced and everybody breaks routinely. Let's say smoking within 15 feet of a door. You and a coworker are smoking within 15 feet of the door but within acceptable distance as has been established by years of practice by everybody else that works in the office. No penalty has ever been meted nor is there a penalty spelled out in your company handbook. The boss comes out, catches you both smoking within 15 feet. Your coworker gets off for no reason, you are suspended for 3 months, fined, and your ability to do your job effectively for the next two years is slightly hampered.

Basically this is a joke and everybody wants to pile on because... I guess that's human nature. When one crab reaches the top of the pot the rest try to pull em back down. The reason that NFL punishment or legal punishment in workplaces, the real world, or sports is not given to the public is because the public are idiots. Mob mentality is dangerous and can and often does lead to moronic and barbaric punishment for "crimes" or even transgressions perceived as such or in some cases nothing at all. A target is picked and all who have a stone in hand are all too eager to cast. So you can be "outraged" at "cheating" all you want but remember that only one NFL quarterback has admitted to this practice... And it wasn't Tom Brady. I absolutely dislike the Patriots and Brady with the rest of you, but I guess I can't just let myself turn a blind eye and use this non issue to attack them. I have some articles to submit to you as well, however I do stress that because there was no procedure or enforcement rule on ball inflation this is completely absurd and even if you are stupid enough to believe this was an egregious act of cheating, there are no grounds to punish and the Colts balls were also under the league minimum. One day deciding to arbitrarily test balls at halftime was another inexplicable move by the bumbling stumbling NFL. Goodell just becomes more of a joke to the people who can see what is actually happening by the day.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
What IS a sham and BS is Goodell clearly waited for the public outcry to make a decision. So the guy who meted out 2 games for a vicious beating in an elevator now gives double plus extra to somebody who, if we are saying he "broke the rules where other quarterbacks do not" (Again, Aaron Rodgers admitted to tampering with ball inflation, Brady has done no such thing... I guess we should expect 4 games draft picks and a fine for the pack?), and I have pointed ut twice now that this is not even a little bit true, but if we are saying that, this equates to scuffing a ball or putting pine tar on it at best. A super minor infraction. So this punishment is completely based on public reaction, and oh, probably a bit on Kraft publicly telling everybody to kiss his ass beforehand.

To take things further, as I mentioned with How to police this in the future and the possibility of weather or wear and tear making a difference.... 3 of the four footballs tested at halftime of that game from the COLTS side were also underinflated. Balls have never been tested at halftime and there was and still is no procedural protocol in doing so. This would be like (a legal example makes more sense but I guess this is more a workplace?) if you know your boss or workplace has somewhat recently made a rule that isn't enforced and everybody breaks routinely. Let's say smoking within 15 feet of a door. You and a coworker are smoking within 15 feet of the door but within acceptable distance as has been established by years of practice by everybody else that works in the office. No penalty has ever been meted nor is there a penalty spelled out in your company handbook. The boss comes out, catches you both smoking within 15 feet. Your coworker gets off for no reason, you are suspended for 3 months, fined, and your ability to do your job effectively for the next two years is slightly hampered.

Basically this is a joke and everybody wants to pile on because... I guess that's human nature. When one crab reaches the top of the pot the rest try to pull em back down. The reason that NFL punishment or legal punishment in workplaces, the real world, or sports is not given to the public is because the public are idiots. Mob mentality is dangerous and can and often does lead to moronic and barbaric punishment for "crimes" or even transgressions perceived as such or in some cases nothing at all. A target is picked and all who have a stone in hand are all too eager to cast. So you can be "outraged" at "cheating" all you want but remember that only one NFL quarterback has admitted to this practice... And it wasn't Tom Brady. I absolutely dislike the Patriots and Brady with the rest of you, but I guess I can't just let myself turn a blind eye and use this non issue to attack them. I have some articles to submit to you as well, however I do stress that because there was no procedure or enforcement rule on ball inflation this is completely absurd and even if you are stupid enough to believe this was an egregious act of cheating, there are no grounds to punish and the Colts balls were also under the league minimum. One day deciding to arbitrarily test balls at halftime was another inexplicable move by the bumbling stumbling NFL. Goodell just becomes more of a joke to the people who can see what is actually happening by the day.
I am SOOO very tired of this stupid and rediculous argument. The whole Ray Rice scenario. If someone with any intelligence would look, he had NO choice. The rules in place at the time gave him the 2 game limit. You can bitch and moan all you want it changes nothing. So the whole Ray Rice thing is not a legitimate comparison, and point blank I am tired of the rediculous argument.

Now, as far as comparing to the punishment of the whole filmgate they got caught with last time, fine, that makes sense. In both of those cases, they clearly were skirting the rules to gain advantage. However, in doing so, you must also take into account this is the Second time they have been caught. Second time offenses ALWAYS require stiffer penalties.

As far as other Qbs "tampering" with balls, the minute they are caught with clear evidence..fine here is the new penalty. Last I heard Rodgers wasn't actually caught.

I am so tired of NE having to push every rule to gain every advantage to win, rather than....oh I don't know, play the game correctly. I happen to think they got off scott free in that they should have lost thier HC just like N.O. did.

So stick that in our Sham and BS argument.

gizzil

There are no rules in place for deflating balls... In order to punish somebody for a rule infraction there needs to be a punishment for the breaking of the rule. It was never enforced previously and no punishment meted. Therefore it is ridiculous to arbitrarily enforce on one team and not another for the same infraction. And it certainly isn't right to wait a few days to gauge public reaction before rendering punishment either. Every Quarterback's phone and the phones of all personnel handling footballs throughout the year should subsequently be confiscated and the conversations logged. Every team that deflated or inflated footballs then should be handed the same punishment based on the findings. Then, every team could lose draft pics and get fined a million dollars... To pay part of Goodell's 40 million, so he can wait for the public sentiment to decide punishments for each infraction. Again, if this is such an egregious infraction why was it let go for 30 other teams for what 9 years? Cmon now, you have to know that this is common?? At every level I have participated this was a common practice. Notice AAndrew Luck hasn't made even a peep? Do you understand why?

You specifically mention "evidence." What exactly are you referring to? That some balls were deflated? The Colts' balls were also deflated. So by your logic the Colts should get the same exact punishment. Luck suspended 4 games. A mildo to NFL from Colts, And the same draft picks taken away. Oh, but that's not the evidence that requires punishment? What is, then? That there is some circumstantial evidence that Brady "may have known" of the deflation of game balls? Because that was in fact the conclusion of the Wells report. If the report was born out of the arbitrary testing of PSI of balls used in that specific Colts/Pats game... Why were the Colts not similarly investigated? This seems awfully convenient. The team who also had 3 balls underinflated is exonerated before even the most preliminary of investigations. So that evidence is just ignored, then, and not pursued. Interesting.

Again, the Patriots as a whole appear slimy, they're rich, smug, and probably on the whole many are just bad guys like they appear. Beat them on the field then. Don't catch them in some loophole that is clearly contrived just for them and claim this is some terrible act. Especially one that is quite accepted league wide. Moral outrage for a deflated football? Really?

gizzil

Oh, and the point I forgot to respond to... It is RIDICULOUS to say that Aaron Rodgers "last I heard Rodgers wasn't actually caught." Actually, by your argument regarding evidence... A willful admission of guilt is way more solid evidence than a 200 page report that concludes that maybe someone had knowledge... maybe. That's just a fact. One guy admits wrongdoing willfully. One guy is investigated inconclusively. Do you know what happens in a court of Law in this situation? The guy that admits guilt is charged with the crime and sentenced. The guy who is investigated inconclusively walks.

gizzil

And ok also regarding length of suspension vs. other infractions... How about a year ban for smokin grass? Or 4 games for Steroids? So smokin a lil weed is more morally reprehensible? Steroids is a lesser form of cheating? Gimme a break

Remote Controller

Kraft made the right decision because they were toast. This was a move to salvage legacy's by letting this go away. Tom needed to take note as his owner realized....They had nothing to fight this with.

efactor

Coming at you
And ok also regarding length of suspension vs. other infractions... How about a year ban for smokin grass? Or 4 games for Steroids? So smokin a lil weed is more morally reprehensible? Steroids is a lesser form of cheating? Gimme a break

Not to digress from Deflategate, but agree here. A year for marijuana, no matter how many times you get caught is foolish. Give them 4 games every time they get caught. Eventually, they will stop. Why ruin a career with a whole year over something that doesn't give you a competitive advantage or hurt anyone? I think the latest Josh Gordon suspension is total BS. Guy had a drink against orders. Give him 4 games, not a friggin year. 4 games without pay is a pretty good detierent.

Kraft made the right decision because they were toast. This was a move to salvage legacy's by letting this go away. Tom needed to take note as his owner realized....They had nothing to fight this with.

Spot on.................

He was going to lose both in the courtroom and in the public opinion arena.

I think the "it didn't impact the games" and "no big deal" stance that some take is short sighted. If that is the case, then why did they do it (yes, they obviously did)? Because it created an advantage, which is cheating. If he was "innocent", Brady should have had no issues turning over his cell phone.

He got caught and is paying the price. Stop whining and take the Leveon Bell approach. Do the time and move on.

gizzil

If the time fit the crime I'm sure they would go ahead and do it.... And if it was such an egregious act of cheating why aren't Andrew Luck and Aaron Rodgers also suspended 4 games? And turn in their phones? Rodgers admitted to the very same "cheating." Luck's footballs were also under inflated. So punish one guy but not the others in a super harsh manner... because the public doesn't like him? Laughable.

JScott

Administrator
The difference with Rodgers was that he admitted to having his footballs overinflated some in hopes that the officials would keep them on the higher side during the inspection or let them slide with the psi being over the limit, but he did not admit to any type of adjustment AFTER the officials inspected them.

Imho that's the difference between gamesmanship and cheating.

Remote Controller

This boils down to basically NOT aiding the investigation, and owning up. Sadly Brady doesn't likely need the help. Now it certainly aided reducing fumbles by backs.