Qbs in the draft - where will they go?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Okay, to most it is a given Tampa bay will take Winston, and I can see why.

What about Mariota?

Well lets see-
Philadelphia - everyone sees Kelly and assumes he will trade up to get him.....Not going to happen, he has dealt a lot of picks, and he would need those to swing this deal, moving from 20+ to #2 is just too expensive, like 3-4 first round picks. Now, if he were somehow to slip, and make it to double digits...that would be different, but....
San Diego - Rivers is in the last year of his contract, and it has been reported the told the team if they move to LA he wants out. So this could be why no extension talks are planned, and I am sure his back issues may also be part of the concern. If Mariota makes it past the Jets, I would not be shocked to see SD make a move up a little to get Mariota.

Jets - well they have Geno Smith, they have Ryan Fitzpatrick(who is out til camp starts due to broken leg last year)....and they need help, but is he really what they want?

Tennessee is at #2, and they are hurting at Qb as well. Locker was a FA but has retired, and that leaves them basically with Mettenberger(who they seem to like a lot) and perennial back up Whitehurst. So a Qb here makes sense, but so does some of the top Def. players in this draft. If they are not sold on Mariota, and some reports say they are not......then he could well make it to NYJ at #6.

Wild card - Washington at pick #5. If Tennesee does not take Mariota at #2, then I don't see Jacksonville at #3(Bortles) or Oakland at #4(Carr) taking him. That leaves Washington, and there are a ton of reports that state Gruden does not like nor want RGIII. By taking a Mariota, they could make a deal to send either Cousins or Griffen elsewhere, get picks and still get a young Qb to develop. Would not be a shocker to me, but my gut is if there is a trade to be made, to get Mariota, the deal has to be with Washington, not Jets, and maybe with Jacksonville or Oakland to get ahead of these two teams.

Per all reports a lot of teams like Mariota but they see him as a developmental talent, not an immediate starter. He has to learn to work from the center, and less from shot gun, and he has to learn to make better reads, but most feel he can do it. His pro day wasn't great, but it didn't hurt his value either. I don't see him making it out of the top 10 picks, but I don't see him being taken before #5 unless a trade is made.

efactor

Coming at you
I think Tennessee makes a move and trades the pick to a team that covets Mariota.

Skins, Jets and Bears are all teams I see as potential move-up candidates and all are in an area in the draft where Tennessee can make a move for some extra picks and still stay at the top end of the draft. Obviously, Kelly wants him, but at 20, may be too far down for Tennessee's tastes. Same with San Diego.

Tennessee has the advantage of having a need at QB too, so a team like Washington may be more willing to make a deal to insure they get Mariota vs taking a chance that Tennessee passes on him. Agree that Jacksonville and Oakland won't take him.