Cutcliffe says F U Michigan

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
It was reported today he flatly turned them down last week, but they went ahead and offered a contract any way. This is right in his plan now, he takes this offer to San Fran and say.....here we go boys, what ya gonna do? Keep me and pay me more, deal me to another NFL team....or do I go college?

My guess is Chicago or Miami or Raiders

maverick824

Phic, can you link me to where Harbaugh "flatly turned them down" please? I am plenty aware that there are "reports" he said he wasn't interested in the job, but I have yet to see a report naming an actual source that says he turned them down. I have seen NFL "insiders" like Ian Rappaport and Adam Schefter reporting last week there's no chance, then backing off of their statements now because he's "considering" it.

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/545356042129784832 - Senior NFL Reporter for FOX, same guy who said Harbaugh "rebuffed" Jim Hackett (Michigan AD) in first meeting (Michigan hadn't made, you know, a CONTRACT OFFER)
https://www.facebook.com/AdamSchefter/posts/871513876234588 - Schefter flat out said he said no and wasn't considering other offers besides the job he currently has, now he's "considering it" because now the 49ers are out of the playoffs. Umm....he's still employed and under contract with them, what changed?

Fantastic NFL "insider" reporting here. Because it's the NFL, it's crazy to think someone would willingly choose to accept a college HC position.

http://mgoblog.com/content/how-never-be-wrong

These guys have mostly been on the money the whole way so far. Yeah, it's to be taken with a grain of salt, it's a Michigan blog. But if you actually care enough to educate yourself about this situation, not a bad place to start.

Phic, Harbaugh bleeds maize and blue. Born in Toledo, went to HS in Ann Arbor while his dad was an asst. for Bo Schembechler. Starting QB for UM for 3 seasons, guaranteed a win over OSU and delivered in 86. Took em to the Rose Bowl and was a Heisman finalist. His coaching idol is Bo. Intensely competitive individual, wants to win on every level possible. Let's look at the options.

Staying with the 49ers? Not gonna happen. It's hardly been a secret the entire season, the 49ers front office are ready to move on from Harbaugh. But, they will not fire him, pretty certain of that. So, likely trade destinations.

Oakland? If he's staying in the NFL, it's to win the Super Bowl. How does accepting a trade to the Raiders make sense in that? The only thing the Raiders offer him is a chance to stay in California. Not real likely.
Jets? See Oakland, but now he'd have to move cross country. Not happening.
Chicago? This would make a little more sense, but first the Bears would have to hatchet Trestman, pay Harbaugh 8 mil plus a year, and cede some control of the front office to him. A little more likely, but still a tall order.

OK, the big gun. Miami. They'd have to fire Philbin (this is a foregone conclusion at this point). However, here's an interesting fact. The Dolphins owner is Stephen A. Ross. Guess where he went to school? A quick Google search tells me........hmmmm......Michigan! And not only that, but he's one of their biggest boosters and alumni!

Phic, I get that you have an opinion, and I respect that, I'm not trying to come off as a jerk at all. And I'm perfectly aware that Michigan isn't a lock at all to land Harbaugh. But to categorically dismiss it just because of what NFL reporters are putting out there isn't prudent. And I am biased, and yes, that's the only thing on my Christmas wish list at all this year. But looking at what I'm seeing by actually doing 10 minutes of research into the situation, how can you tell me there isn't fire with all this smoke?

Phicinfan

Administrator
It was on Mike and Mike this morning, so I don't have a link

I am not trying to dog Michigan, I happen to think getting Harbaugh would be a great first step to improve and make the Big 10 stronger.

But this guy is ultra competitive and by all reports he is ticked the Seattle HC has a title, and he does not. I have also heard he likes the rebuilding stuff and it is one reason he actually likes the idea of Oakland, that and he can keep his home and family where they are happy. That is a key for him, he and his family love the WC and the area they are in.

maverick824

It's HAPPENING!!!!! Expect it to break at earliest over the weekend, but most likely it will be announced on Monday! A lot of chatter is about the assistant staff being put together. Look for D.J. Durkin to be headed to Ann Arbor with Harbaugh to run the defense alongside Mattison, if he doesn't do it outright! Merry Christmas to UM, we got our coach!

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Congratulations Mav. Much like a good competitive game of Go Fish...You got what you asked for. May he return that program back to the elite as they truly belong. Best of luck!

Phicinfan

Administrator
Congrats Mav, this makes the Big 10 even better, and will make the OSU - Michigan game a blast to enjoy!! Viva the BEST RIVALRY EVER!!

maverick824

I had to wait for my Christmas present for an extra 5 days, but I can say without reservation that I haven't been this excited for Michigan football since Carr retired! We now have a university president that understands how important football is to the university, an AD in Hackett (provided he loses that interim tag) that understands how to run an athletic department, and a coach that is completely dedicated to the concept of the team and winning! I can't wait for this fall, it's going to be fantastic!