Decision is in- Gordon is out

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
that sound you now hear, is all those fantasy players rushing to their league websites for quick FA moves for picking this "potential" end of season boost.

Sheesh....

efactor

Coming at you
I wonder if I'd even hang on to him in dynasty. This guy is a head case.

I'm not seeing that with Gordon. Did he make a couple stupid decisions, sure, but I'm 50 and I still make foolish decisions from time to time. I have a feeling he's been "scared straight" and realizes a potentially great career, both in terms of money and recognition is at stake. I think he really wants to play football, compared to someone like Blackmon who just doesn't seem to give a crap.

Don't want to get too much into how the NFL deals with weed, but I think zero common sense is being used here. Losing an entire season over a minimal amount of marijuana is plain lame. Spare me the argument that he knew the consequences etc. True, but again, these are young guys who do stupid things sometimes. Not like he went out and beat up someone in a club or knocked his fiancee out cold in a public place. The guy smoked a small amount of weed. Give him another 4 games without pay. Pretty severe punishment when you consider what the rest of society would incur.

Also, concerning the DUI, I do think that how far over the limit you are should be considered when determining league punishment. Someone who stopped by to have a couple drinks with some friends after work and is barely over the limit should be treated differently than somebody who is piss running down their leg drunk. I know you have to have a cut off point, but again, pretty much all of us have driven when we were "drunk" by the legal definition. More accidents are caused by idiots who text while they drive than by people who are .01 over the legal limit. Not saying people shouldn't use good judgement about driving after even a couple drinks, but how far over you are should be considered in the punishment.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Could all be well and true "E" and I wish him all the best but there's more suspension time coming down from the league if he is convicted on the DUI charge and whether barely drunk or pissing down his leg it showed a lot of immaturity to go out and get busted for drunk driving when he already knew he was in deep do-do with the league office. Enough so that I'll pass. All the talent in the world won't do squat for you if you don't have or use your brain. I've read all the stories out there that say he's young. Oh, he made a childish mistake. Well grow up kid but you'll be doing on someone else's team, not mine.

Now I agree with you totally on the narrow scope of the offenses and unequal punishment handed down for such. But they aren't our rules to make up and each player knows them and has to live with them being what they are. Now there is talk of him suing the NFL. Doesn't sound like he's grown up one bit through all of this yet. Take your punishment like a man Gordon not like the lil' boy you've been acting like.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I'm not seeing that with Gordon. Did he make a couple stupid decisions, sure, but I'm 50 and I still make foolish decisions from time to time. I have a feeling he's been "scared straight" and realizes a potentially great career, both in terms of money and recognition is at stake. I think he really wants to play football, compared to someone like Blackmon who just doesn't seem to give a crap.

Don't want to get too much into how the NFL deals with weed, but I think zero common sense is being used here. Losing an entire season over a minimal amount of marijuana is plain lame. Spare me the argument that he knew the consequences etc. True, but again, these are young guys who do stupid things sometimes. Not like he went out and beat up someone in a club or knocked his fiancee out cold in a public place. The guy smoked a small amount of weed. Give him another 4 games without pay. Pretty severe punishment when you consider what the rest of society would incur.

Also, concerning the DUI, I do think that how far over the limit you are should be considered when determining league punishment. Someone who stopped by to have a couple drinks with some friends after work and is barely over the limit should be treated differently than somebody who is piss running down their leg drunk. I know you have to have a cut off point, but again, pretty much all of us have driven when we were "drunk" by the legal definition. More accidents are caused by idiots who text while they drive than by people who are .01 over the legal limit. Not saying people shouldn't use good judgement about driving after even a couple drinks, but how far over you are should be considered in the punishment.
you make great points.
At some point, the NFL will have to review the policies on Marijuana, as it is being made legal in a lot of states. That being said, it is NOT legal in all, and as such he should have known. It was put best on ESPN radio this morning on Mike and Mike - the Weed owns him, not the other way around, and that shows he has a problem. Add to that he was busted in College and Pros shows he has an issue. As for the alcohol point you make I disagree. I don't care if you had 2 drinks or 5, it is your business. But putting yourself on the road, and risking others lives is everyone's business, and deserves maximum punishment imo.

the fact that Gordon got a DUI, after he was already facing league issues on Marijuana, tells me he has an addiction problem, and this will happen again if he does not get help.

efactor

Coming at you
you make great points.
At some point, the NFL will have to review the policies on Marijuana, as it is being made legal in a lot of states. That being said, it is NOT legal in all, and as such he should have known. It was put best on ESPN radio this morning on Mike and Mike - the Weed owns him, not the other way around, and that shows he has a problem. Add to that he was busted in College and Pros shows he has an issue. As for the alcohol point you make I disagree. I don't care if you had 2 drinks or 5, it is your business. But putting yourself on the road, and risking others lives is everyone's business, and deserves maximum punishment imo.

the fact that Gordon got a DUI, after he was already facing league issues on Marijuana, tells me he has an addiction problem, and this will happen again if he does not get help.

It doesn't show an addition problem at all, it shows a lack of maturity. There has been nothing to show that he's addicted to weed or alcohol.

People who text while driving are risking peoples lives as well, probably more than someone with a .09. Why are the punishments for that minimal?

Phicinfan

Administrator
It doesn't show an addition problem at all, it shows a lack of maturity. There has been nothing to show that he's addicted to weed or alcohol.

People who text while driving are risking peoples lives as well, probably more than someone with a .09. Why are the punishments for that minimal?
Vehicular manslaughter is just that, regardless of cause. Ohio has extremely strict texting laws, and even have some counties that have major punishment for any use of cellphones while operating a vehicle. But your point is true in some areas.

Repeated issues against known rules is too easy to flaunt off as immaturity. I think it shows a major issue, one he cannot control. Just my opinion though.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Why did the chicken cross the road? I'm not saying the punishments are right. In fact I agree that they are not. Be that as it may he knew the risk/reward/punishment cycle and he wasn't grown up enough to handle it. The first time, the second time and now a third time. Many think it's a matter of immaturity. I'm not so sure that it's that simple.

cctekguy

Staff member
He lost me when he said:

"I am very disappointed that the NFL and its hearing office didn't exercise better discretion and judgment in my case."

As though he is in any position to critique discretion and judgement.