Monte Ball...

Deacon

Bacon=greatest of all!
I am asking for your help here. Help me to understand why Ball is getting so much hype in fantasy forecasts this year.

As we get closer to the season I have started listening to the fantasy sports channel on Sirius/XM and all they can talk about is Monte Ball. The talking heads are slobbering all over this guy like he is the second coming of Emmit Smith.

I recognize the value in the fact that he is the RB in the most prolific offense currently in football and the countermate to Payton Manning. And that Knowshon Moreno outperformed predictions while being considered a less talented back last year which is attributed to the system he was in BUT....

...this Monte Ball is still the same Ball that lost the starting job last year to Moreno because of fumbling issues and because Manning lost patience with his lack of ability in blitz pickup and overall blocking. Is everyone just ignoring the fact that this guy lost the starting job last year to a less talented back? Are we to assume his fumbling problems will be fixed like Tiki Barber's were? Has he learned how to pick up a blitzing LB or corner better over this time (and to the satisfaction of Manning)? Or is it just because no one seems to be able to identify who the back up RB will be and they just assume he will be the man by default?

I don't see Ball as a solid no risk option like AP, Charles, McCoy, Forte or even Lacy. This guy still has potential bust written on him for me, what am I missing?

ExperiencedRookie

I agree, Ball is no McCoy, Charles, Lacy etc etc

He is however in one of the best positions for success in football. You might not have faith, but look what level of faith Denver has. They let Knowshon go and made zero moves at RB. They are closest to Ball, they see something they like, and I think it's going to work out.

Outside of maybe Lacy or Pierre Thomas, no RB in football will see less defenders in the box

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Ball does has a level of risk to him, bit the period is large. Watch training camp reports on his pass protection. If concerns are brought up, raise your concern level and draft who they are praising in this area.... If it is ball they praise, grab him and don't look back.

Remote Controller

Ball is my 7 Rb. I have him after Charles, Forte, McCoy, Lacy, AP, and (drumroll)......Foster, and slightly ahead of Bernard , and Murray. I feel he is safer than Murray, Bernard, and Foster. I also feel that he might make it to the corner in ppr leagues and be a nice piece of a corner tandem.

Deacon

Bacon=greatest of all!
I agree, Ball is no McCoy, Charles, Lacy etc etc

He is however in one of the best positions for success in football. You might not have faith, but look what level of faith Denver has. They let Knowshon go and made zero moves at RB. They are closest to Ball, they see something they like, and I think it's going to work out.

Outside of maybe Lacy or Pierre Thomas, no RB in football will see less defenders in the box

This is a very valid point and it would seem Denver is giving him the 'I have faith in you' routine for now. I admit his ceiling could be very high but I still think he is a high risk/reward type right now.

ExperiencedRookie

Ball does has a level of risk to him, bit the period is large. Watch training camp reports on his pass protection. If concerns are brought up, raise your concern level and draft who they are praising in this area.... If it is ball they praise, grab him and don't look back.
The Denver RB praise can be very deceiving. I seem to remember a Ronnie Hillman hype train getting moving last year during camp, and then he didn't amount to squat in the regular season.

Remember old Ax Elf or whatever his name was? He worshipped at the throne of Hillman! Brick city

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
That actually is true, I do remember that. Still, I can't believe Denver let Moreno walk if they didn't have faith in Ball.

Little Big Head

Jetsfan4life
I'd have a lot less faith in Ball had they kept Moreno around. The Broncos are doing everything they can to give him the oppurtunity. If he can 1) protect Manning and 2) secure the football then I think he will never look back. Definitely see top 10 potential here

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Uh oh......Montee Ball out with Appendectomy. Will be out til week 1 is latest expectations. Right now Hillman is taking most the reps, with C.J. Anderson filling in. This drops his value if you ask me.

Deacon

Bacon=greatest of all!
Uh oh......Montee Ball out with Appendectomy. Will be out til week 1 is latest expectations. Right now Hillman is taking most the reps, with C.J. Anderson filling in. This drops his value if you ask me.
Hmmmmmm!

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
It certainly opens the door for Hillman who was well thought of before his butter fingers caused his chance to slip away. A good preseason could turn this into a full RBBC backfield and that's not exactly where people were drafting Ball.

Deacon

Bacon=greatest of all!
Now that Ball is almost ready to return it seems that the tide of favor is against him. Prognostication can be so fickle.

gizzil

Yeah and it SCREAMS that everyone is wrong again... and he will be given a shot at the very least to split if not retake the job