What would you accept for Josh Gordon in trade?

JScott

Administrator
I own Gordon in one dyno league and in other leagues see Gordon owners putting him OTB.

I've been offered a 2015 2nd, the highest offer so far. Don't know what other owners are looking for but thought it would be a good topic to throw out there. Would you hold him or cut bait, and if so what's the lowest you would sell for?

Right now I'm leaning (60/40) that he'll never play another snap in the NFL so I'll probably accept the 2015 2nd.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
yeah, hard to sell this low. But its probably the best you will get. Thanks to Blackmon, not many will take the risk of keeping Gordon or trading for him. You might want to take the deal and get what you can for him.

ExperiencedRookie

I own Gordon in one dyno league and in other leagues see Gordon owners putting him OTB.

I've been offered a 2015 2nd, the highest offer so far. Don't know what other owners are looking for but thought it would be a good topic to throw out there. Would you hold him or cut bait, and if so what's the lowest you would sell for?

Right now I'm leaning (60/40) that he'll never play another snap in the NFL so I'll probably accept the 2015 2nd.
Interesting question. A 2nd round pick is very fringe for me. It would depend a lot of which team was giving the pick, because if it's someone with a good team, it will likely be a late 2nd rounder.

From what I've seen in dynasty rookie drafts, everything after pick 15ish is kind of a crap shoot. Unless one of the worst teams in the league is making the offer, I think if rather gamble on Gordon. At least you know that if he does play football again, that he's a total beast

cctekguy

Staff member
I'm not so sure I would throw in the towel yet.

Boys grow up and the NFL is very forgiving. If he's cheap to keep and you have a spot. I'd give him a year or two.

I've been nursing Kenny Britt along for a few years now (on and off my roster) and am anxious to see what he does this year.

Reports out of St. Lou are positive but we know how THAT goes... Kool-Aid anyone?

That 2nd round pick next year just doesn't have the appeal of a re-habbed Gordon to me.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
I strongly disagree with most of you.

Josh Gordon is waaaay more valuable than a second round dynasty draft pick in 2015. In fact, after reading this I just offered my 2015 2nd rounder for him, because I had no idea someone might actually go for that.

Listen, he's a complete bonehead but he's also a prolific talent. I don't see how he doesn't play football again after this season, but even if you think there's a 50/50 chance that he never plays another down you want him more than that 2nd round pick. The risk/reward is too high on the reward side of the equation not to do it. This is the type of player that can literally win you championships.

There's a good chance that the guy you draft in the 2nd next year doesn't pan out like you thought or hoped he would. And if he does pan out? He's probably not going to be a superstar talent like Josh Gordon.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I strongly disagree with most of you.

Josh Gordon is waaaay more valuable than a second round dynasty draft pick in 2015. In fact, after reading this I just offered my 2015 2nd rounder for him, because I had no idea someone might actually go for that.

Listen, he's a complete bonehead but he's also a prolific talent. I don't see how he doesn't play football again after this season, but even if you think there's a 50/50 chance that he never plays another down you want him more than that 2nd round pick. The risk/reward is too high on the reward side of the equation not to do it. This is the type of player that can literally win you championships.

There's a good chance that the guy you draft in the 2nd next year doesn't pan out like you thought or hoped he would. And if he does pan out? He's probably not going to be a superstar talent like Josh Gordon.
He is no smarter than Blackmon, nor more talented, and look where that is going. At some point, you need to find folks like you, and fleece what we can get.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
I'd say that Blackmon's track record is far worse than Gordon's and he never demonstrated to me that he is equally talented, either.

But I'll just chalk this up to a difference in philosophy. I believe Gordon's talent justifies the calculated risk of a 2nd round pick.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I'd say that Blackmon's track record is far worse than Gordon's and he never demonstrated to me that he is equally talented, either.

But I'll just chalk this up to a difference in philosophy. I believe Gordon's talent justifies the calculated risk of a 2nd round pick.
Gordon had issues in college as well, its why he was not in regular draft but in the auxiliary draft. This isn't going to end well, but its a choice on risk agreed.

bodey24

Staff member
He only failed the test because of "second hand marijuana smoke". It wasn't his fault he just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Phicinfan

Administrator
He only failed the test because of "second hand marijuana smoke". It wasn't his fault he just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
This is sarcasm right? Just saying all reports out today is he is appealing due to differences in sample A and B, not that it wasn't him toking....per say :rolleyes:

JScott

Administrator
He only failed the test because of "second hand marijuana smoke". It wasn't his fault he just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time again

Fixed

ETA: Honestly after seeing this I did cringe some since I dealt him for the 2nd+ but all it means is he's still hanging around the wrong people and doesn't get it. IF he gets this suspension reduced, it's just a matter of time until it happens again.

bodey24

Staff member
This is sarcasm right? Just saying all reports out today is he is appealing due to differences in sample A and B, not that it wasn't him toking....per say :rolleyes:

haha... His argument is that sample A passed the test but sample B was barely over the limit and even if sample B is accurate it's because of secondhand marijuana smoke. That's the story on ESPN.

He was probably just sitting in a car with his buddies while they were clam baking and he was unable to get out of the car so really it's just an unfortunate circumstance for him. :)