NFL - pre- FA and pre-draft trades

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I know we all have talked some of these, but I think it helps to have this broken out separately for better discussion:

Best way to do this I guess will be chronologically:

1) Chiefs send Qb Alex Smith to Washington for 3rd round draft pick of Washington's and Cb Kendall Fuller - this was a key deal for KC - it gives them some cap room, clears way for Mahomes to take over, and fills need at CB - which comes from their next trade.

2) Chiefs send Cb Marcus Peters and pick 196 this year to Rams for pick 124 this year and a 2019 2nd round pick. - Chiefs use Fuller to fill hole for Peters loss, move up in this draft and get solid 2nd round pick next year.

3) L.A. Rams send Robert Quinn DE to Miami for....
This was a cap move - Rams wanted more space and Miami desperately needed pass rush help

4) Seattle trades DE Michael Bennett to Philadelphia for a 5th round pick this year and Wr Marcus Johnson - Cap space help for Seattle, and the first stage of the dismantalling of Legion of Boom - plus flyer wr incase they lose Paul Richardson to FA. Eagles get solid replacement for Vinny Curry who they will cut or trade for cap space, and move inside to help Fletcher with inside pass rush.

5) Rams trade Alex Ogletree OLB and 7th round pick to Giants for 4th and 6th round draft picks this year - again cap space for Rams maybe to retain Watkins and Barron - Giants needed cover OLB for quite a while.

6) Denver sends Cb Aqib Talib to L.A. Rams for a 5th round draft pick this year - cap move for denver, and this make for potentially the most ......explosive and dirty defensive back field with Rams now having Peters and Talib. But the good news? Rams play Oakland this year...so Talib may still get to go head to head with Crabtree :D

7) Eagles sends WR Torrey Smith Carolina for Cb Daryl Worley - Once again, Philly deals away a player they don't need to get some value. Eagles need protection in case Patrick Peterson walks in FA, and this is a cap help. In Smith's defense he was open more than he got passes tossed to him, but he once again showed his propencity to drop passes. So Carolina gets some Wr help for Funchess.

8) Browns send picks in 2018 4th round and 2019 7th round to Miami for Wr Jarvis Landry - this was obvious need for Cleveland they desperately needed playmakers on that side of the ball. Miami gets picks plus cap space.

9) Browns send 3rd round pick to Buffalo for Qb Tyrod Taylor. - Bridge QB? I think so, I think this allows Cleveland to draft Barkley at #1, and then go QB at #4 - and protects them if NY Giants or Indy take their Qb.
Buffalo now as the trade capitol if they want to deal with either Giants or Colts to move up and take Qb of the future they want.

10) Browns send Qb DeShone Kizer to Green Bay for Cb Damarious Randall - Browns clearing space for Taylor and future draft Qb while possibly solving their FS position - Green bay moves a struggling CB gets some cap help and has Qb to groom for if or when Rodgers is gone.

11) Browns send DT Danny Shelton to N.E. for a conditional draft pick - decent player for N.E. not heard what the pick compensation is yet.

12) Buffalo sends Cordy Glenn OT and the #21 pick in 2018 and a 5th round pick for Bengals #12 pick in first round this year and a 6th round pick - Buffalo being the next Philly to move up to get their Qb???

13) Jets sends #3 1st round pick this year to Colts for #6 this year, 2 2nd round picks this year and a 2nd rounder next year - Great move for Indy and Jets moving to get their Qb.

14)Raiders trade Wr Cordarrelle Patterson to Patriots for swap of late round picks - picks supposed are Pats send 5th round pick of Cleveland they got last year for one of Oakland 6th round picks - Belichick wanting a returner??

15) Giants trade DE Jason Pierre-Paul and a 2018 4th round pick to Tampa Bay for a 2018 3rd round pick and a 2014 fourth round pick - Giants clearing more salary cap out?

16) Washington sends Su'a Cravens S plus a 4th round pick and a fifth round pick to Denver for a 4th round pick and 2 5th round picks all in 2018.

17) Cleveland sends Qb Cody Kessler to Jacksonville for a conditional 2018 7th round pick - New back up Qb in Jacksonville

18) New England sends Wr Brandin Cooks and a 4th round pick(#136) to Los Angeles Rams for a 2018 first round pick (#23) and a 2018 6th round pick (#198) - Patriots could not get extension worked out with Cooks so sends him to Rams... So much for OBJ in Ram land

19) Browns send Qb Kevin Hogan and their 6th round pick to Washington for the Redskins 6th round pick - that clears all the old Qbs now out of Cleveland.

Last edited:

Phicinfan

Administrator
11) Browns send DT Danny Shelton to N.E. for a conditional draft pick - decent player for N.E. not heard what the pick compensation is yet.

Per PFT - this looks like cleveland also sends a mid round 2019 pick but get a 2018 pick back?

Phicinfan

Administrator
10) Browns send Qb DeShone Kizer to Green Bay for Cb Damarious Randall - Browns clearing space for Taylor and future draft Qb while possibly solving their FS position - Green bay moves a struggling CB gets some cap help and has Qb to groom for if or when Rodgers is gone.
Per PFT - as part of this trade - Green Bay will switch places with Browns in rounds 4 and 5 this year

Phicinfan

Administrator
12) Buffalo sends OT Cordy Glenn, #21 pick this year and a 5th round pick to Cincinnati for the #12 pick this year and a 6th round pick- Buffalo trying to be Philly and get tools to move up for Qb????

Last edited:

efactor

Coming at you
Jets acqire #3 Pick from the Colts for their #6 pick, 2 2nd rounders this year (#37 and 49) and a second rounder in 2019.

Great trade on the Colts end. Read that it was a 600 point jump in the draft value chart. Gives them a lot of flexibility to move around on draft day.

If Jets nail their QB pick, it turns out to be a good deal for them as well. If they bust with it, sets them way back in their rebuild.

MongerKhan

TXL: Pimp Hand Strong
Staff member
Great trade on the Colts end. Read that it was a 600 point jump in the draft value chart. Gives them a lot of flexibility to move around on draft day.

If Jets nail their QB pick, it turns out to be a good deal for them as well. If they bust with it, sets them way back in their rebuild.
Insane that the first three picks could all go quarterback quarterback quarterback

Phicinfan

Administrator
I am betting dollars to donuts the Giants phone is ringing off the hook.

Following COULD happen:
Scenario 1 -
Browns take Barkley
Giants trade down so team can take Qb 1
Jets take QB 2
Browns take Qb 3
Denver - Qb 4??
Colts - could have DE Chubb - nice snag for the drop down
Bucs -
Bears -
49ers -
Raiders -
Dolphins - need Qb?
In this scenario, if Buffalo really wants a qb - they need to move up to #2, OR Bucs at #7.

Other scenario is Browns goes Qb at 1 - and could potentially still get Barkley at #4 at a cheaper price.

ExperiencedRookie

Why doesn't Cleveland just trade back?

They now have Hyde and Duke. If they could move back and grab a pick or 2 to go with it, they could really focus on the O line. Just draft a RB in the 2nd round with one of the picks they acquired if you want. Plenty of solid players in this draft at the position.

I know this isn't a popular position, but I think Cle could actually skip at QB with Tyrod in play. They're just going to brick in whatever QB they draft anyways, ad it will cause a rift in fans who want the rookie.

efactor

Coming at you
Considering the importance of a QB, I just don't buy that the Browns will take the QB that is left over instead of taking the guy they feel is the best QB at #1. But I also don't buy into the Giants taking Barkley when they have so many other holes to fill. If the Browns really want Barkley, I think he will be there at 4

Remote Controller

Considering the importance of a QB, I just don't buy that the Browns will take the QB that is left over instead of taking the guy they feel is the best QB at #1. But I also don't buy into the Giants taking Barkley when they have so many other holes to fill. If the Browns really want Barkley, I think he will be there at 4
but who is the #1 qb? I believe you might get four different answers from the first four teams going qb. I would snag the difference maker in Barkley, hope one of my top two qbs is left, and smile. If they are gone, trade back for picks, then grab the other difference maker Jackson. Barkley/Jackson is a homerun. Hyde/duke can spell your Stud back, while Jackson's offense can be developed with Tyrod at the controls for the first season.

efactor

Coming at you
but who is the #1 qb? I believe you might get four different answers from the first four teams going qb. I would snag the difference maker in Barkley, hope one of my top two qbs is left, and smile. If they are gone, trade back for picks, then grab the other difference maker Jackson. Barkley/Jackson is a homerun. Hyde/duke can spell your Stud back, while Jackson's offense can be developed with Tyrod at the controls for the first season.

If you trust your talent evaluators, you roll with your top guy. As a 49er fan, if Shanahan liked Rosen (example) better than Darnold or Allen, I don’t want him passing on Rosen even if the other teams think they are equal or like one better than the other. Too important to take what is left.

Remote Controller

I just think that in their spot, with the wealth of picks they have, they'd be crazy to pass on Barkley, when they still have crazy flexibility. Having a qb in place that is mobile tells me that they are going to have to use that ability, and Jackson would be the best fit. I believe they do not plan on rushing to start their new qb. Much harder to stick to if he's the #1pick. Everything You are Saying is correct. We Just Dont know who thier Target Is.

Phicinfan

Administrator
There are alot of assumptions going on here. First that Browns like any of these Qbs. If you actually read Hue and his discussions, he HATES rookie Qbs. No doubt the reason they made the deal for T.Taylor. So they had a decent vet in to play while the rookie learns.

That being said, this team has desperately needed a franchise Qb since Bernie Kosar....I would argue since Brian Sipe.

So I agree you take the Qb at 1 if you have a Qb you love UNLESS it is Mayfield or Rosen or even the kid from Louisville. In that case you take Barkley, and then you can do what ever is best at #4 - go Qb or Cb and then wheel up to snag the Qb end of first - they do have high 2nd round picks as well.

It all depends on who they want. The only thing we KNOW at this point, is Jets ARE going Qb at 3. You don't make that move for Rb.

Giants are in the catbird seat. They could have Barkley, they could have rookie Qb they want, or they can trade down and get stash of picks to address the many needs they have.

Browns need to be smart. If its Mayfield or other Qb not Darnold or so...then you can wait and play the field.

RE - on Hyde, I am an OSU alum, and I would NOT bet my team on Hyde. He can't stay healthy.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Belichick gets C.Patterson from Oakland in a trade

Last edited:

Phicinfan

Administrator
Giants send DE JPP to Tampa bay for 3rd round pick in 2018 and switch of 4th round picks in 2018

Phicinfan

Administrator
Denver gets S Cravens from Washington for basically a 5th round pick and change.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Cleveland gets a conditional 7th round pick from Jax for Cody Kessler Qb