Bill Belichick to the NYG?

efactor

Coming at you
No. If he was leaving NE, he wouldn’t have traded Garoppolo to an NFC team.

Just don’t see him leaving the Pats. Will be watching their draft closely this year. If they grab a QB in the first two rounds, he has long term plans to keep coaching. If not, he will go when Brady goes.

ExperiencedRookie

No. If he was leaving NE, he wouldn’t have traded Garoppolo to an NFC team.

Just don’t see him leaving the Pats. Will be watching their draft closely this year. If they grab a QB in the first two rounds, he has long term plans to keep coaching. If not, he will go when Brady goes.
He didn't trade Jimmy...Kraft did. Bill was furious, and that's why this has become a rumor.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Bellicheck leaving is more than a rumor, he was rightfully pissed about Garoppolo and Brady's personal trainer intervening into his staff medical stuff.

Whether or not he pulls the trigger and leaves is yet to be seen. I don't see the Giants though....not sure why.

JScott

Administrator
This cracks me up. Wickersham decides to dig because he saw the timing of the Garropolo trade as odd. Talks to "staff" with no quotes, not even anonymous, and speculates. And now everyone thinks the Pats are unraveling. Sounds like a lot of wishful thinking more than anything.

Kraft is one of the best owners in pro sports because he lets the football people make the football decisions. Does anyone honestly think he dictated any football move to BB? And when has BB ever let anyone dictate to him? I think there is a 0% chance Kraft made BB trade Garropolo.

I do believe that TB12's witch doctor was causing friction. And BB dictated he was gone.

Funny. If Kraft dictated the Garropolo trade to appease TB12, why would he have let BB send his personal doctor out the door. I'll tell you why, because Wickersham's speculation was way overblown... Lol

Phicinfan

Administrator
This cracks me up. Wickersham decides to dig because he saw the timing of the Garropolo trade as odd. Talks to "staff" with no quotes, not even anonymous, and speculates. And now everyone thinks the Pats are unraveling. Sounds like a lot of wishful thinking more than anything.

Kraft is one of the best owners in pro sports because he lets the football people make the football decisions. Does anyone honestly think he dictated any football move to BB? And when has BB ever let anyone dictate to him? I think there is a 0% chance Kraft made BB trade Garropolo.

I do believe that TB12's witch doctor was causing friction. And BB dictated he was gone.

Funny. If Kraft dictated the Garropolo trade to appease TB12, why would he have let BB send his personal doctor out the door. I'll tell you why, because Wickersham's speculation was way overblown... Lol
For the record, the story states he dictated the trade of Garoppolo due to getting value for a QB they won't be carrying in the future, nothing to do with TB12, more to do with full support ONLY for Brady. Now that being said, Kraft also is a bit of a power mind, and he might have taken offense at Garp passing on offers to hang around instead of starting somewhere else.

But come on JScott, don't fall too far into the roses, there are documented accounts of offers of 1st round picks for Garp in the off season, and instead they take a 2nd rounder?

JScott

Administrator
But come on JScott, don't fall too far into the roses, there are documented accounts of offers of 1st round picks for Garp in the off season, and instead they take a 2nd rounder?

Yes, and the reasoning i heard was that either Grap’s didn't want to go to that team (CLE) or NE didn't want to trade him to a potential AFC contender. Also, even though they got less than market value pick-wise they also knew they'd get Hoyer in return trading with SF. So they got value and a safety net for the short term.

efactor

Coming at you

Documented account of offers? Lot of speculation based on what the Pats were supposedly wanting for him or what they could get for him, but I never saw article saying what the actual offers were. Looked and couldn't find anything concrete other than articles saying "the Browns offered more than SF did" which are a dime a dozen.

If they offered "more" than a 2nd before the 2017 draft, that would be more believable. His value was higher then than midway through the 2017 season, when he was only a half season away from free agency instead of having a full season of playing time. A lot of people were calling SF foolish for making the deal due to this. Of course, after watching him for 5 games, his value is through the roof.

I still find it hard to believe that Belichick would have rejected the Browns if they had offered Houston #1 instead of their 2nd. With only a spot or two difference (at that point anyway), it made sense to trade Garropolo out of the AFC and to a team that he considered a better opportunity for a player he developed and had an obvious respect for.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Documented account of offers? Lot of speculation based on what the Pats were supposedly wanting for him or what they could get for him, but I never saw article saying what the actual offers were. Looked and couldn't find anything concrete other than articles saying "the Browns offered more than SF did" which are a dime a dozen.

If they offered "more" than a 2nd before the 2017 draft, that would be more believable. His value was higher then than midway through the 2017 season, when he was only a half season away from free agency instead of having a full season of playing time. A lot of people were calling SF foolish for making the deal due to this. Of course, after watching him for 5 games, his value is through the roof.

I still find it hard to believe that Belichick would have rejected the Browns if they had offered Houston #1 instead of their 2nd. With only a spot of two difference, it made sense to trade Garropolo out of the AFC and to a team that he considered a better opportunity for a player he developed and had an obvious respect for.
I don't have the time to look, but I know I read an article with Hugh that stated they offered at least one first round pick for Garp. Rumor was NE was holding out for 2 which no way was Cleveland doing. It wasn't only Cleveland after Garp also. Nor was it only San Fran.

I also find it hard to swallow that N.E. was that worried about another AFC team like Cle. They are much more than a Qb away.

efactor

Coming at you
I don't have the time to look, but I know I read an article with Hugh that stated they offered at least one first round pick for Garp. Rumor was NE was holding out for 2 which no way was Cleveland doing. It wasn't only Cleveland after Garp also. Nor was it only San Fran.

I did a pretty extensive search (raining like crazy and all my work is done, so what the hell) and see nothing, anywhere, that the Browns ever offered a first round pick, even before the 2017 draft, which would have made the most sense if they did. What I saw was they offered their 2nd and "some change", whatever that means.

As far as prior to SF making the deal, absolutely nothing saying they offered their first or Houston's pick. No way in hell that Belichick would have turned either of those picks down for the SF 2nd.

I think the Browns figured that the Pats would move him for less as they were never going to franchise him. They were actually right.

efactor

Coming at you
Timing is everything.

There was an article on Ninernation just posted quoting Cleveland sportswriter, Terry Pluto as saying the Browns were willing to give the Texans pick and "other goodies" for Garropolo. No confirmation on where that information came from. Seems a lot of BS as no sources were named.

Arctic Dawgs

Personally I have always thought of Billichik having the "Fantasy Attitude" of rather move on a year early than a year late. The whole thing smells of just giving him to a Buddy because instructed to. I could have seen him trying/preferring to trade Brady

efactor

Coming at you
So he gave him to a buddy for a 2nd when he could have had a top 10 pick (ended up being 4 overall)?

Not buying that. More likely the Browns weren't giving up a first and he gave them a "screw you" and made the deal with SF.