Qb race for 2018

Arctic Dawgs

Well, both KC and Buf won last week so that moves Buf back to sitting at 20 & 21 currently. Makes it tougher (more picks) for Buf to trade up to the 2/3 spot. Ind plays a key role in what the final order will be with home games against Den and Hou left. If they lose to Den and beat Hou in a week 17 home game Hou could have 2 top 5 picks. If Ind wins both they could move back close to 10 spots and lose a ton, if not all of their trade bounty. They are talking about maybe 5 QBs going in the 1st rd now. I could maybe see it with the teams 5th year option on 1st round picks. $$ below is 2018 cap space. Currently we have :

1) 0-13 Cle - $111mil ($10m DM) ; This has to be a QB. Why sign a $25+mil FA when you can grab a Franchise player with Oline, Dline LB and RB in 1 draft. With the early 2nd 1st rd pick and 2 early 2nd rd picks they are loaded if they have the ability to make key picks. Should be BIG in FA as well

2) 2-11 NYG - $30mil ($$ DM re Eli ??) ; read somewhere that Eli has no guaranteed $$ left on his contract. Trading him could get them an extra $16/20mil cap space. They could move back a couple spots with a win over Ari or Was. What does new Management want ?? They played Warner for 1 year with Eli as rookie. Will they repeat before moving Eli ??

3) 3-10 SF - $116mil ($15 DM) ; I think they sign Grap and trade this pick off. All depends on who is left after 2? QBs are gone on how much they can get. They should be BIG in FA. This week vs Ten looks like last winnable game. If the Giants take a QB or trade to someone who does this picks value takes a nose dive

4) 3-10 Ind - $86mil ($2 DM) ; 2 winnable games left against Den and Hou will really affect the order from 4 to 10. Again, No QB need here

5) 4-9 Den - $31.6mil ($0.6 DM) ; @ Ind this week. Do they move up or down. Big game for draft order. Also have games against Was and KCC. They could drop way back in Draft order. Maybe take the 2/3rd QB in this draft. Not a lot of cap room to go after a top QB

6) 4-9 Chi - $48mil ($1.2 DM) ; Have Trubisky. Other needs. vs Cle 16

7) 4-9 TBB - $68mil ($0.8 DM) ; Have Winston. Other needs. Have Car, NOS, & Atl left

8) 4-9 Cle (from Hou) - $111mil ($10m DM) ; and this pick could still move up a few spots. Jags, Pit and Ind left. I can't see them trading their 1st pick unless this pick gets up #4 overall and ahead of Den. Could still trade this back if only 1 or 2 are gone. I think they start building the new team here. Is this the spot Buf will target ??

6 teams are sitting at 5/6 wins that could still sneak into this group. Gonna be an interesting few weeks to see how this shakes out in the end

Last edited:

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
With Todd McShay's first mock draft he has 4 Qbs going in first round. I can see that, and maybe 5, depending on what happens.

Key will be which vet Qbs will be available:
FA - Brees(expected to re-sign with N.O.), Eli(has contract but as AD said no guaranteed money left, and friendly deal to trade), Minny Qbs(Bradford, Bridgewater and Keenum ) are all FAs next year, I assume Minn. will sign one. Bortles also is up I believe, but his option might have been picked up, T.Taylor - can't see Buffalo keeping him, not at that price, A.Smith - does KC move on to rookie next year? McCown is also FA but expected to be bridge in NYJ?

With all this veteran glut, some of these draftable Qbs may drop to 2nd round.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Giants owner John Mara wants Eli Manning to return in 2018.

Manning was shaping up as a lock to be released, but his status has changed with Ben McAdoo gone. Even with New York in position for a top-five pick, it's possible they give Manning another year with an improved supporting cast. There should be more clarity with the Giants expected to interview general manager candidates next week. Manning has two years and $22 million guaranteed remaining on his deal. Dec 13 - 4:35 PM

Source: Newsday

Phicinfan

Administrator
Giants owner John Mara wants Eli Manning to return in 2018.

Manning was shaping up as a lock to be released, but his status has changed with Ben McAdoo gone. Even with New York in position for a top-five pick, it's possible they give Manning another year with an improved supporting cast. There should be more clarity with the Giants expected to interview general manager candidates next week. Manning has two years and $22 million guaranteed remaining on his deal. Dec 13 - 4:35 PM

Source: Newsday
Gut tells me Eli will want to move on, and he should be allowed to. This team screwed him over with bad coaching decisions, and he only has a limited time left. Gut also tells me that any new GM if he is worth his weight, should draft a stud Qb this year as the talent is there this year, and move Eli for picks to get added help. Key will also be to get OBJ signed to an extension...I think he is due soon.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Beckham is in the final year of his four-year, $10.4 million rookie contract. The Giants back in April picked up his fifth-year option, meaning Beckham is set to earn $8.4 million in 2018, guaranteed for injury.Oct 9, 2017.

Yep he has a huge pay raise coming soon.

Arctic Dawgs

Beckham is in the final year of his four-year, $10.4 million rookie contract. The Giants back in April picked up his fifth-year option, meaning Beckham is set to earn $8.4 million in 2018, guaranteed for injury.Oct 9, 2017.
They will probably do a long term for him that will be cap friendly in the short term. I feel that they will be making several moves to create a little more cap space. Eli's cap hit is $22mil next year

article I was emailed from Bleacher Report on QB moves
Early Predictions for the Wild 2018 NFL QB Carousel

Phicinfan

Administrator
Great article AD, not sure I agree with it though.....

First I do see KC moving on, but I don't see Cleveland taking A.Smith, they are rebuilding and taking a young Qb in this draft seems target.
Jax will get either Eli, A.Smith or may even try to snag Cousins to fix their long time issue.
Jets - honestly the driver there will be McCown. If they can resign him for cheap money and draft the future that would be ideal for them.
Arizona - Taylor would be interesting there, but I am betting the farm they want one more year out of Palmer and draft next Qb.

Minnesota - I see them signing two of the three. Bradford is gone, agreed there. But if they can get Keenum and Bridgewater at decent price they do it. Let them fight it out over who starts.

Buffalo - no doubt in my mind they are moving on from T.T. They might make playoffs, so shot at one of the top Qbs might be hard, but they have trade capital to use if they want to trade up. Wonder if a Manning, or A.Smith or..gulp Bradford to bridge is not a shot.

Washington - I am lost here. I can't see them tagging Cousins again, and they can't afford to match what he will get in FA market. Their hope has to be let him go FA, and get a HUGE compensatory pick in 2019 for it. Draft for future and ride with back up next year.

Qbs the will be interesting what happens - Bortles(I doubt he is kept), McCarron, T.Taylor, Cousins, Manning, A.Smith, Bradford all could change this outlook.

I am betting farm that Brees stays in N.O.

Arctic Dawgs

Was is a large unknown. Would Cousins even resign with them or has that bridge been burned. They are currently sitting at around the 10th pick, and have Ari, Den, NYG left. 2/3 very winnable games, which would move them a lot farther back. They have $55mil in cap room for next year though so they may be a big player in the FA market and draft a later (4/5th) QB and develop for a year or so. Also, the best Comp pick they could get would be a 3rd.

Myself, I don't see Eli going anywhere and the Giants draft a QB. They wait up to a year before going with the rookie. I guess if the price is right though a trade could happen ??

Haven't read the article yet

Arctic Dawgs

Silly Season is here : CBS Mock Draft
2018 NFL Mock Draft: Bengals select QB Baker Mayfield to replace Andy Dalton - CBSSports.com

1) Cle - Rosen
2) NYG - Darnold
5) Den - signs vet QB Taylor, Cousins, Luck, Eli and they had Ind taking Oline. WTF
9) Cin - Mayfield
11) Was - losing Cousins and taking a LB. WTF
12) Ari - Jackson
21) Buf - Rudolph

5 QBs in Rd 1

I see several other sites coming out with Mocks as well. There were a few other WTFs that I saw in this one too

hikeNbike

What does everyone think of McCarron? If I had a high pick Id take a qb but for those teams that wont like Buffalo or Arizona do you think he is worth a shot? Thought he played well whenever he was called upon in Cincinnati.

Also would like to hear the consensus on what people think of qbs in this draft. Is it just Rosen and Darnold that project as stars or do you trust any of the others, including Baker Mayfield? Is Mayfield Johnny Manziel or is he better?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I see McCarron as a game manager QB and not someone that will go out and win games for you. He won't throw them away either but his NFL sample size is pretty small so maybe he can do better than I think.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I am split on the qbs in the draft, as much as they are touted they all have some issues. I love the kid from Louisville, but he needs to develop more.

McCarron isn't as good as some, but he is better than say Keenum or McCown or so. So if Washington or Jax want a game manager, he could be solid.

I keep wondering if Cincy goes for broke, Lets Marvin walk, deal away Dalton and sign McCarron. It won't happen, but would be interesting.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
The Minneapolis Star-Tribune's Andrew Krammer doesn't expect the Vikings to use the franchise tag on contract-year QB Case Keenum.

Or Sam Bradford. Both Keenum and Bradford are scheduled to be free agents, while Teddy Bridgewater has one year left on his contract. Minnesota will very likely be interested in bringing Keenum back barring some catastrophic meltdown in the playoffs, but GM Rick Spielman hasn't used a franchise tag since 2011. After making just $2 million this season, Keenum will be in for a huge raise, whether it's back in Minny or elsewhere. He's No. 2 in completion percentage.

Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

According to this report the earlier reports on this thread that all 3 QB's we set to be FA's is incorrect.

Phicinfan

Administrator
The Minneapolis Star-Tribune's Andrew Krammer doesn't expect the Vikings to use the franchise tag on contract-year QB Case Keenum.

Or Sam Bradford. Both Keenum and Bradford are scheduled to be free agents, while Teddy Bridgewater has one year left on his contract. Minnesota will very likely be interested in bringing Keenum back barring some catastrophic meltdown in the playoffs, but GM Rick Spielman hasn't used a franchise tag since 2011. After making just $2 million this season, Keenum will be in for a huge raise, whether it's back in Minny or elsewhere. He's No. 2 in completion percentage.

Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

According to this report the earlier reports on this thread that all 3 QB's we set to be FA's is incorrect.
I think she is wrong, they waived his extension year, so he should be an FA as well.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Yeah the Vikes took him off of IR a couple of weeks ago so they can not "toll" his contract over for the year lost to IR (because he didn't make it a year) and they did waive that final year this past summer. Very astute of you PhiCin.

Phicinfan

Administrator
So as AD suspected, Eli seems locked in. That may actually be best for him.

To me the REALLY big question is what San Fran does. They have won 4 straight with Garoppolo, and he has looked awesome doing it. But he is a UFA after the season. Do they sign him now to a long term, or do they Franchise tag him?

That will be a huge decision for Lynch.

efactor

Coming at you
So as AD suspected, Eli seems locked in. That may actually be best for him.

To me the REALLY big question is what San Fran does. They have won 4 straight with Garoppolo, and he has looked awesome doing it. But he is a UFA after the season. Do they sign him now to a long term, or do they Franchise tag him?

That will be a huge decision for Lynch.

The love affair with Garropolo is like nothing I have ever seen in my long tenure as a Niner fan. GM, Coach, teammates and fans. Incredible considering he has been here two months. He’s single handedly brought back excitement to the franchise.

Perfect situation for Jimmy G too. Offensive minded head coach who has a proven track record of elevating QB play. A team that has the right pieces in place in the front office (Lynch, Peters, Mayhew) to put together a top roster. It just reminds me so much of when Walsh took over in 1979. Getting rid of dead weight and creating competition. They have created a good culture in a short period of time. Still a lot of pieces to put in place at key positions (OL, CB and edge rusher) but they are way ahead of schedule with some nice picks available and a ton of cap space.

I think they will work out a long term deal. Seems both sides want it and SF has the cap room. I think the price tag will end up in Carr money range which I am fine with. The franchise tag is a nice bargaining chip as I don’t think Garropolos camp wants to play under it. SF won’t try to lowball him and he has seen Brady take less money for the good of the team. I understand Brady has other income flows but so will Garropolo very soon if he continues this kind of play. Might even marry a supermodel.

Excited as a fan for the first time in forever. Even when they were making the super bowl under Harbaugh, the team did not have this level of excitement. Fun to watch again.