Qb race for 2018

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I doubt it. Jerry couldn't get anything for Romo
total difference here, Romo was coming off major injury, and was not playing well prior, as he just came off a major injury. Eli has been healthy most of his career. Eli has also won 2 superbowls

Phicinfan

Administrator
So, my updated FA expectations for Qbs in NFL:
Who I expect will be FA :
1) Cousins - I simply can't see Washington tagging him again, or getting to the contract he wants
2) T.Taylor - I doubt he is back in Buffalo.
3) B.Bortles - Jax needs and wants to improve here
4) A.Smith - I think KC makes the change to Rookie next year, and lets A.Smith and his contract go
5) I believe 2 of the 3 Minn. Qbs will be FA next year - Bradford for sure, and then either Bridgewater or C.Keenum.
6) I also believe Ryan Tannehill will be FA - I do think he could end up back in Miami, but at a low cost once others pass on him.
7) Brees to me is the big driver - I can't see N.O. letting him go, but they still have cap issues. This will force alot of decisions for rest of NFL.

Two others to think about:
1) Big Ben - IF he Retires, and I think this is a big if, that would force some issues.
2) Carson Palmer - Arizona will have to look at one of the young Qbs if this happens, then lean on a Bridge Qb if he retires.

The fact that San Fran already made the move to get Garoppolo shows me they were not wanting to get into a bidding war for Cousins or Brees..... and didn't like the others. I am wondering though...do they go ahead and draft a young Qb as well? We will see once they sign Garp to a long term contract as he is FA at end of season.

Arctic Dawgs

total difference here, Romo was coming off major injury, and was not playing well prior, as he just came off a major injury. Eli has been healthy most of his career. Eli has also won 2 superbowls

I wouldn't call a Broken Collarbone as a Major Injury. Both circumstances are Older Statue QBs with MONSTER Contracts

Phicinfan

Administrator
I wouldn't call a Broken Collarbone as a Major Injury. Both circumstances are Older Statue QBs with MONSTER Contracts
It wasn't just the colarbone, he had back issues, then came back and had more. Romo was damaged goods, which is why they could not get value for him.

hikeNbike

Eli had a great career but I don't think he has it anymore, the one team I maybe see really having interest is Jacksonville, if they don't make a concerted effort to try and get Eli, with Coughlin connection and considering Bortles is their qb, that should be an alert to the rest of the league. I dont know what to think of Cousins, I think if Redskins had paid to make them their qb 2 years ago that might have been an acceptable cost, but now I don't know that I would give him a massive contract, even if that means a step or two back next year. to me he feels like he pads his stats a lot against inferior competition and never quite shows up enough in the truly big games. Don't think he is a qb that leads you to a Superbowl. he could get you there with a very good team around him, great running game and D, but if your paying him top dollar that's likely a longshot with the salary cap.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Eli had a great career but I don't think he has it anymore, the one team I maybe see really having interest is Jacksonville, if they don't make a concerted effort to try and get Eli, with Coughlin connection and considering Bortles is their qb, that should be an alert to the rest of the league. I dont know what to think of Cousins, I think if Redskins had paid to make them their qb 2 years ago that might have been an acceptable cost, but now I don't know that I would give him a massive contract, even if that means a step or two back next year. to me he feels like he pads his stats a lot against inferior competition and never quite shows up enough in the truly big games. Don't think he is a qb that leads you to a Superbowl. he could get you there with a very good team around him, great running game and D, but if your paying him top dollar that's likely a longshot with the salary cap.
I think if Eli ends up on a team, that has a solid O-line and some talent to throw to, he would be still good. Of the teams that need Qbs - Denver, Miami, Buffalo, Jacksonville, Minnesota come to mind where he could be very valuable and they don't have a shot at a top rookie Qb in this draft.

As for Cousins - Washington can't afford to tag him again, so he will be an FA. As such, they have to address the Qb slot, cause one of the teams listed above, or one of the worse teams WILL sign him. What has limited Cousins is the team around him. They have had a revolving door at O-line, Rb and the young Wr core is spotty at best. He could be a solid starting Qb in the NFL(no not Montana or such) and there are too many teams that need that.

All that being said, this off season is going to be really, really fun. N.O. will have a short period to sign Brees, or again, he could walk. Once Brees and Cousins are signed, that will then drive the market for Eli.

cctekguy

Staff member
You're knowledge of football is astounding Phic!

Informative, intuitive and enlightened.

I would go so far to say that you are a football GURU!

...but how come you suck at fantasy football so bad?

Phicinfan

Administrator
You're knowledge of football is astounding Phic!

Informative, intuitive and enlightened.

I would go so far to say that you are a football GURU!

...but how come you suck at fantasy football so bad?
Well thank you.
As for fantasy, I have to admit it, I am a little too concerned on dynasty leagues I am in instead of some others. I used to be fully focused on redraft and basically sucked at Dynasty. Since I started Hired Guns, I have gotten much, much better at Dynasty, and have lost touch in Redraft.

The main difference you ask - value of older players. In dynasty you are focussed on the young rookies, and what the future holds, while in Redraft you focus on who is producing now, and regardless of age, who will get carries.

I am working on it, its a work in progress. Still, love to play the game. Some day I might even try the daily scene, just to see if I can win some money.

But I love the NFL, and am fascinated on what teams do, the moves, the draft and such. So always love to look at long term pictures like this QB issue.

Phicinfan

Administrator
If the draft were today here are the current top 10 spots:
  1. Cleveland Browns (0-12) - Need Qb - Kizer not the answer
  2. San Francisco 49ers (2-10) - ??? - Garappolo looked pretty good
  3. New York Giants (2-10) - Need Qb - Geno not the answer, by multiple reports Davis Webb is far away from ready, and Eli will be gone.
  4. Indianapolis Colts (3-9) - ??? - Will Luck be okay?
  5. Chicago Bears (3-9) - No - Trubisky is the Qb for now and he needs real Wrs before he is judged
  6. Denver Broncos (3-9) - YES - They do not have the Qb of the future on current roster
  7. New York Jets (5-7) - YES - I love what McCown has done, but he is a bridge at best, they need the future there
  8. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-8) - No - they have Winston
  9. Arizona Cardinals (5-7) - YES - Palmer will retire or be close to retiring, need the future there
  10. Cleveland Browns (via Houston Texans, 4-8) - See above

Net - right now, of the top 10 picks 5 will definately need to address Qb - so if anyone below them wants to draft one of these top Qbs in the draft - they need to deal with San Fran or Indy or Chicago to get what they want. Which is good for those teams.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Updated:
1) Browns - 0-12 - YES - Kizer not it
2) NY Giants - 2-10 - Maybe - new GM and HC may decide to keep Manning
3) 49ers - 2-10 - NO - Garappolo looks like the real deal but they have to sign him
4) Denver - 3-9 - YES - No answer there now
5) Colts - 3-9 - NO - Luck is it, unless he isn't healthy
6) Bears - 3-9 - NO - Trubisky is it, too much money spent to do this again
7) Browns - Thanks to Houston - 4-8 - See above, I could see them waiting to go QB here though
8) Buccaneers - 4-8 - NO - Have Winston
9) Bengals - 5-7 - NO - Have Dalton
10) Cardinals - 5-7 - YES - Palmer is going to retire or if not will soon, need future here
11) NY Jets - 5-7 - YES - McCown makes nice bridge but not long term QB
12) Redskins - 5-7 - YES - I don't see them signing Cousins, no idea why but don't see it.
13) Dolphins - 5-7 - YES - Tannehill isn't enough

efactor

Coming at you
I think SF works out a long term deal with Garropolo. The franchise tag is available, but seems both sides would want a long term deal. Working with someone like Shanahan would seem to be a big perk performance wise. Look at what happened to the Atlanta offense without Shanahan this year. Yikes.

Arctic Dawgs

We should also keep a closer eye on Buf. Phic earlier mentioned about Taylor, But they also hold KC's 1st rd pick. Both them and KC are currently 6 - 6. They could very well have either or both picks wind up in/near the 1st 10 picks. They will probably set the value if SF or Ind wish to trade back

Phicinfan

Administrator
We should also keep a closer eye on Buf. Phic earlier mentioned about Taylor, But they also hold KC's 1st rd pick. Both them and KC are currently 6 - 6. They could very well have either or both picks wind up in/near the 1st 10 picks. They will probably set the value if SF or Ind wish to trade back
Yup, fully agree here, its going to take at least two firsts, probably 2 first this year and a first or second in another year to move up. I also agree with Efactor, you don't give up a 2nd round pick, what could be a very HIGH 2nd round pick and let they player walk. I do think they sign Garoppolo and trade down to get more value.