2009 Sports Outlaw Official Player Rankings

ExperiencedRookie

Here comes ER, atop his soapbox again.

How can Fitz be the #1 Wr, Boldin the #5 WR, and Warner is sitting at #7 on the QB list?

Any QB whose 2 WRs BOTH rank in the top 5 should be #1.

If it's all about projected stats, then the SO ranking are essentially putting Fitz and Boldin at a combined 3000 yards and 20 TDs. That's a pretty sick start for Warner. You toss in any passing action to RBs, TEs, WR3 and WR4 and Warner is looking at being projected for 4000+ Yds and 30+ TDs.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
From the fine brainiacs at Dictionary.com: (edited for compatibility)

pro⋅jec⋅tion

–noun
7.the act of visualizing and regarding an idea or the like as an objective reality.
8.something that is so visualized and regarded.
9.calculation of some future thing

If you continue overthinking the room when you analyze player rankings from various different sources and outlets, you'll be constantly left wanting and frustrated. There's just way too many variables to try and apply college-level mathematics to the relation between a QB's "projected/predicted" statistics, and the sum of those of his WR corps.

The horse is dead bro.. time to make dog food. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Here comes ER, atop his soapbox again.

How can Fitz be the #1 Wr, Boldin the #5 WR, and Warner is sitting at #7 on the QB list?

Any QB whose 2 WRs BOTH rank in the top 5 should be #1.

If it's all about projected stats, then the SO ranking are essentially putting Fitz and Boldin at a combined 3000 yards and 20 TDs. That's a pretty sick start for Warner. You toss in any passing action to RBs, TEs, WR3 and WR4 and Warner is looking at being projected for 4000+ Yds and 30+ TDs.
VERY fair comment and observation. However, you continue to simply try to apply projected stats and equate it to value without taking into consideration the rest of the picture. "IF" Warner plays the entire season, your assumptions on those projection would be in line and you would be right is your assumption that he should be one of the top QB's. I actually believe that the numbers you posted will be pretty close for the Arizona passing attack this season. BUT, and it's a BIG BUT.....do you know when the last time Kurt Warner played back to back 16 game seasons???

Those who guessed NEVER are right on! In 11 NFL seasons Warner has played 16 games only 3 times and before last season his last 16 game season was in 2001!! At age 38, I believe there is significant risk of Warner keeping his personal history of never having back to back 16 game seasons safe. Due to this, I'm not going to place him among the elite QB's in the league. However, you pair him with Leinart, and you would have a top three duo. But we don't rank duo', so sorry Mr. Warner, but you take a big hit.

The intitial rankings have Leinart in as the top back-up and to be honest will likely rise a big higher than his current spot if he has a good camp. I know, he's a never was.....but give him the offense they have now and he's a great guy to stash away for when Warner goes down.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
slaton should be ranked higher.

I agree Jack, especially in the PPR format. He's not in any commitee at all, and a healthy Schaub/Andre Johnson/Owen Daniels/Kevin Walter would ensure he's not facing 8 and 9 man fronts all the time.

I wouldn't hesitate to slide him up to around 10, maybe 8/9 in the PPR listing, but that's just me. He simply plays every down and is a polished receiver out of the backfield. He often lined up as a WR at WVU, in fact.

Usually when there's a bumper crop of good rookie RB's like last year, at least one suffers from a Sophomore Slump and I've seen a few SO members and other outlets tagging Slaton as the candidate.

ExperiencedRookie

Usually when there's a bumper crop of good rookie RB's like last year, at least one suffers from a Sophomore Slump and I've seen a few SO members and other outlets tagging Slaton as the candidate.

I'm starting to feel that it might actually be CJ. Growing his ego and talking smack leads to trouble.

He's also stuck firmly in a committee with Lendale who seems to be in the best shape of his career. The "Every Coaches Dream" thing might even motivate Lendale more.

Another thing, and this is purely my prediction, I think the Tennessee offense is abysmal this season.

Arctic Dawgs

What were some of the changes and the reasoning behind them ??

I just went to see where Ray Rice is now. I never saved the old ranks so I don't know exactly where he was last time, but he does not appear to have moved at all.

efactor

Coming at you
What were some of the changes and the reasoning behind them ??

I just went to see where Ray Rice is now. I never saved the old ranks so I don't know exactly where he was last time, but he does not appear to have moved at all.

The fact that they have said that McClain will still have similar role in the offense is probably why Rice hasn't moved. When they said he was moving to FB, people mistakenly thought he was going to be strictly a blocker at that point.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Rice did move up a couple spots, nothing dramatic.

Really no one made a major jump. Clayton moved up some and Mason out, Nicks jumped Hixon with the news I have heard on that situation. Made a few other swaps based on preferences.

Mid tier WR rankings had some movement, Moore jumped up some as I think I had him too low. That is the area I tweaked the most (28-40 on the WR's)

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
as far as McClain, just not buying.....I don't think he's a fantasy factor this year at all. The biggest factor he will be is taking a little from the other 2, but those hoping for a repeat of last year may be disappointed.

Arctic Dawgs

K, I was just wondering. Had McClain in a couple leagues last year and was very happy. Kinda with you Miller on his #s this year. In the last month I've moved Rice up to a 16/20 with the McClain/Maghee news.

Mike

Administrator
From what I am hearing, McClain will likely be very limited in touches this season, spending more of his time being a true fullback. Nice weapon for the team to have at that position, but likely less of a fantasy impact.